Cortex+ Is Cortex+ Serenity or Firefly the big announcement for 2013

Sorry, my initial assumption was that you were familiar with FIREFLY/SERENITY, since you jumped to an immediate, definitive conclusion. Both "I'll be in my bunk" and "Shiny" are oft-repeated quotes from FIREFLY. As recognizable to folks who are familiar with that show as if the the two quotes were "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" and "May the force be with you." Or "Live long and prosper" and "Beam me up, Scotty." Or "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" and "RAWR!"

(Okay, maybe that last one is stretching it.)

I am familiar with both. It just made absolutely no sense to me and I though must be a teaser and bluff or, as I said, scraping the bottom of the barrel for MWP when they shouldn't need to - and I don't think the folks at MWP are stupid. But if Firefly's going for a full court press it makes sense.

The Twilight was a joke.

Greg K

Legend
The Twilight was a joke.
I disagreed with the scraping of the bottom of the barrel since Firefly is one of the favorite shows of every gamer I know despite being canceled so long ago. It is right up there with the LOTR movies and Dr. Who in popularity among us. A friend of mine ran the Serenity game not too long for his group and I will begin running it for mine (incorporating material and changes from Big Damn Heroes and the generic material) within the next month.

However, I did get that the Twilight comment was a joke.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The same scale of 'Big' difference to the outsider/unaware/unconcerned as there is between D&D/D20/Pathfinder/C&C/DCC/T&T/CoC/RQ/WFRP/TOR/True20/Conan/Traveller/Fantasy and SF RPGs in general...? Just asking as I'm not clear on how we might draw those boundary lines....

No. The big difference in that Twilight vampires are described as sparkling, not shining. It's a simple "words mean things" bit, where they aren't interchangable.

dm4hire

Explorer
A tenth anniversary seems a good time to relaunch interest in the franchise as well as a second edition of the RPG. It will be interesting to see what gets revealed. Just wish they would give a time frame so we can keep an eye out for the announcement.

am181d

Adventurer
At the New York Comic Con last year, they had a Firefly panel and thousands of people showed up. I wasn't at San Diego, but as you'd imagine, there were even more diehard "browncoats" there. A lot of people like Firefly A LOT. And given that RPGs are a niche industry, so I'm not at all surprised they're doing more with it. (Anymore than all of the licensed stuff they did for Doctor Who while it was off the air, or all the Lord of the Rings stuff that came out before the movies.)

Remove ads