Cosmic Deity power levels in 5E...

dave2008

Legend
I just really dislike 4e. I felt the system was to different it didnt feel like actual DND. I also really didnt care for the art of their manuals either. It was almost too cartoony in a way.
I loved 4e, it was what brought me back to D&D, and it was potentially the best system for truly epic / immortal tier play. But not how WotC did it, just the general concept of swarm-minion-standard-elite-solo was great. UK and I even discussed super-solos and beyond back in the day.

The art, like most editions, was hit and miss. I mean have you looked at the 3e Epic Level Handbook? A lot of that art is pretty bad IMO. I always thought the 4e pic Orcus stuff was pretty good. Much it was WAR, so he hails from 3e art too.

1653325000162.png

1653325033890.png

1653325049430.png

Last edited:

I just really dislike 4e. I felt the system was to different it didnt feel like actual DND.

It was probably too radical a change for most people to accept.

I also really didnt care for the art of their manuals either. It was almost too cartoony in a way.

It was certainly an exaggerated style. One of my big problems with the current D&D monster art is that its far too 'soft-focus, twee, water coloured and non-threatening'...and while I know that's not every monster, its enough of them to establish an over-arching theme.

It was probably too radical a change for most people to accept.

It was certainly an exaggerated style. One of my big problems with the current D&D monster art is that its far too 'soft-focus, twee, water coloured and non-threatening'...and while I know that's not every monster, its enough of them to establish an over-arching theme.
I think I disagree. Maybe on a race basis or with giants but I feel that 5e (2nd place to 3.5 on art) has some of the most realistic styled art.

I think I disagree. Maybe on a race basis or with giants but I feel that 5e (2nd place to 3.5 on art) has some of the most realistic styled art.

I'm not a fan of that water-colour style. It was interesting looking at the 4E Orcus illustration that Dave posted above which has actual red skin, when I look through the 5E Monster Manual virtually everything that should be red is a soft, muted pink tone.

But everyone has their own ideas about art.

I'm not a fan of that water-colour style. It was interesting looking at the 4E Orcus illustration that Dave posted above which has actual red skin, when I look through the 5E Monster Manual virtually everything that should be red is a soft, muted pink tone.

I can respect that. I will give props to 4e on the demogorgan art since i cant read the name without picturing the two headed mandril they made for it.

dave2008

Legend

Of course Orcus is supposed to have a bloated, white, decaying body. At least according to my 1e MM! ;)

dave2008

Legend
That what stands out to me the most is when art from a later gen of dnd is of a being much older leaves a near irreplaceable image in my head. Another example of media that has a similar effect is the MCU
Absolutely, but 4e Demogorgon was pretty similar to 3e Demogorgon (just brighter as UK pointed out)

3e
1653331879601.png

1653332075733.png

4e
1653331899729.png

I must admit that, though I miss the mandrill heads, I do like the 5e art:
1653332169426.png

1653332223812.png

1653332244900.png

Remove ads