Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
It should be 1000 gold per craft day for magic items, yes, and you can spend a craft day for Skill Check x DC copper or 7 craft days for Skill Check x DC silver worth of work. Basically, craft days are like virtual normal days and so they work just like the normal system except that you can save them up.
Are we doing invisible castle then for the roll, or just take 10 (don't think 20 is applicable for Craft---material wasted on failure)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Are we doing invisible castle then for the roll, or just take 10 (don't think 20 is applicable for Craft---material wasted on failure)?
You get your choice between taking 10 and using IC and being daring. The moderator of the crafting thread can determine the rules for IC usage (probably involving getting the IC crafting name okayed ahead of time before making the roll, to prevent people from making new names until they get a good roll or something and then calling out the name with the good roll)

Bront

The man with the probe
So, crafting is normal, but calculated by week, or by days if you're daring?

I find it odd that plate takes so long, but +5 plate takes less time.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:

Crafting is normal, yes.

As for plate vs +5 plate, that assumes you buy the MW plate from somebody else and then enchant it (if you make the plate from scratch and then enchant it, you've gotta pay the craft days for all of it). But yeah, that's how it works in normal D&D too. This prevents the Craft skill from transforming a single normal artisan into a millionaire virtually overnight (imagine a world where craftsmen could make 1000 gold worth of goods every day!)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Bront said:
Yes. That will be cleared up in the final text.

Bront said:
+5 plate using TP (time points) is cheap because, as RA pointed out, it is assumed the mwk plate is bought. All you are doing is the enchanting.

Bront

The man with the probe
That also makes crafting things made of Mithril or Adamantine impossable for most people in the scope of the game.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
That also makes crafting things made of Mithril or Adamantine impossable for most people in the scope of the game.
Well, only heavy armours (mithral chain shirt is comparably priced with standard full plate), but that is as it should be (assuming you take Mithral and Adamantine crafting to mean that the craftsman only pays 1/3 for the material cost) based on crafting rules. They could always get more than one person to work together, I guess, or spend a very long time perfecting that Adamantine Fullplate.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Well, only heavy armours (mithral chain shirt is comparably priced with standard full plate), but that is as it should be (assuming you take Mithral and Adamantine crafting to mean that the craftsman only pays 1/3 for the material cost) based on crafting rules. They could always get more than one person to work together, I guess, or spend a very long time perfecting that Adamantine Fullplate.

This is one of the reasons I believe the craft skill system to be incredibly flawed and should be changed.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
This is one of the reasons I believe the craft skill system to be incredibly flawed and should be changed.
It's the basic D&D craft system with which you take issue, though. Frankly, if it allowed high-speed profit for simple craftsmen, I would find it more problematic than it is right now. No matter if we decide to change the way the Craft skill works later, we should put that in a different place--whatever we do to the Craft skill, Craft Days should give you a day of crafting.

I'm ready to vote the Craft Day system in if someone wants to reword it to be clearer.

Bront

The man with the probe
If you're still spending craft days though, it's irrelivent, and the system you propose would be more prohibitive to any nonmagical crafting.

Before I approve ANY crafting system, it needs to include non-magical stuff, or else it's likely to cause problems. Particularly with Forged who will have some of these skills coming into the game.

Remove ads