• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creatures By Poll - Monster #2's special attacks

What attacks and powers should our druidic outsider have?

• Spell-Like Abilities/Spells/Psionics

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Incorporeality

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Fear attack/frightful presence

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Poison

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Breath Weapon

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Energy/ability drain

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Ray, sonic, or gaze attacks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post your ideas below!)

• Summoning monsters

• Poll closed .

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hi! you're in the middle of this creature creation process, but that's no reason you can't get in on it now! go here for more information on this creature.

at this stage, we are now developing just what this creature does. take your pick from the above options, to determine just what this creature's special attacks are. feel free to expound on your ideas of what it should be able to do, and suggest ideas not found on the list above. discussion will follow. :)

Knight Otu

First Post
Personally, I'd go with spell-like abilities, incorporeality :)D), poison (not sure what kind, maybe Con), and an Aura of Plant Growth, or something like that. :)

Krishnath

First Post
I disagree with the incorporeal thing, but othervise I'm with Knight on this one. If the creature is incorporeal it might be to though an encounter against most parties, remember, a creature that is incoporeal is immune against most forms of attacks, including non-ghosttouch weapons (Unless they're magical, in which case they have a 50/50 chance of not harming the creature). But the aura of plant growth is good... and about the poison, add it to barbed vines on the creatures body, and have it be int damage :D

Storminator

First Post
Definitely need some sort of plant growth, and even some spontaneous plant creation.

I originally envisioned something like poisoned flowers bloom as a free action, then any movement within the plants triggers poison attacks.

Or vines grow and then entangle/briar web.

But spells and poison for sure!

PS

Ferret

Explorer
A breath attack would be good but only if that was poisen, (Remember two poisons are better then one), Plant growth is good but should grow new fungi etc, or warp existing plants.

Damage Reduction would be good, this stikes me as a rough evil sort, but it won't hurt to augument it's strengh with magic.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Knight Otu said:
and an Aura of Plant Growth:)

The way I'm envisaging this monster is that it IS an Aura of Plant Growth, a Sentient Aura that causes poison fungus, thorny vines and giant spikes to grow. It has the powers of a hihg level Druid as well as a number of additiona special attacks like poison, hail of thorns at will etc etc.

If the Incorpreality is too powerful then I'd suggest making it a small an inconsequential thing - perhaps a tiny pustule:) that bores into trees and starts exerting its efforts unseen within the bark

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Tonguez said:

The way I'm envisaging this monster is that it IS an Aura of Plant Growth, a Sentient Aura that causes poison fungus, thorny vines and giant spikes to grow. It has the powers of a hihg level Druid as well as a number of additiona special attacks like poison, hail of thorns at will etc etc.

If the Incorpreality is too powerful then I'd suggest making it a small an inconsequential thing - perhaps a tiny pustule:) that bores into trees and starts exerting its efforts unseen within the bark

Ooh, I like this!

I also like the idea of it having an aura of disease. It could inflict animals (vs. plants) with slimy doom or some sort of fungal disease.

MissHappen

First Post
Druidic Parasite?

Here's a few thoughts for you:

Perhaps this boojum is like a cyst/network of fibres that hitches a ride on other plant-creatures or just plain normal plants. I see it as like some sort of withered mandrake root that burrows into a tree and slowly turns it into a larger body. Maybe it prefers to ride inside something like a Shambling Mound.

That way, when the Aura of Noxious Growth kicks in, it may affect the host plant as well, and give it the attack forms it usually uses (like the barbed vines, toxin-cloud toadstools, etc.)

I like the idea of the thing having a breath weapon too. How about something to do with spores? It could work like poison, or maybe it could work something like the Vrock spore-cloud, putting growths on non-plant things. Hell, why not both? The host body could belch up this nasty, fetid cloud from some orifice on it, and the thing outside of the body could do it too, but maybe with a smaller range/area of effect.

I think Treants would be scared to death of this thing.

-MsM

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i had meant to put Summoning as a power, but i forgot. added it back in, as we still have a couple days left on this poll. ;)

Undead Pete

First Post
Re: Druidic Parasite?

MissHappen said:
I like the idea of the thing having a breath weapon too. How about something to do with spores? It could work like poison, or maybe it could work something like the Vrock spore-cloud, putting growths on non-plant things. Hell, why not both? The host body could belch up this nasty, fetid cloud from some orifice on it, and the thing outside of the body could do it too, but maybe with a smaller range/area of effect.

I think Treants would be scared to death of this thing.

-MsM

I agree that the breath weapon should definitely be spore-based

Another idea...How about a ranged attack with thorns?? Maybe like a fireball affect (with thorns instead of fire, of course)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads