• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creatures By Poll - Monster #2's special attacks

What attacks and powers should our druidic outsider have?

• Spell-Like Abilities/Spells/Psionics

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Incorporeality

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Fear attack/frightful presence

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Poison

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Breath Weapon

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Energy/ability drain

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Ray, sonic, or gaze attacks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post your ideas below!)

• Summoning monsters

• Poll closed .

MissHappen

First Post
Thorny Concepts

A thorn-explosion sounds pretty wild, but it seems a little out of tone for this thing. Aside from the breath weapon, and maybe some spells, I get the idea its powers are more subtle. Even the vines it may tangle foes with, I picture as being methodical and relentless, though perhaps a little slow. Barbs? Sure, but they'd grow slowly out of the vines after foes have been tangled.

Maybe it could explode plants it has corrupted though. :) Like a thorn-ball but a little different.

-MsM

Darraketh

First Post
Everywhere the creature ventures it remains surrounded by twisted, dark and deadly plants that sprout, grow, wither and die. Some in a moment's passing. To enter the sphere of influence of this creature and pass among these abominations is extremely unsettling and potentially dangerous due to the often poisonous and aggressive nature of these frightful creations.

This magical circle of ever changing and mutating plant life is the creature's primary defense. As a last resort the creature possesses a breath weapon of deadly spores.

MissHappen

First Post
Cinematic

I think Darraketh and I are working on the same sort of idea here. Subtle and preferring to keep a distance, but really nasty up close anyway.

I really don't think we should forget pustules, though.

-MsM

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay I don't know if its been covered but perhaps we should allow this monster to transform any animals (and PCs) it kills with its spore attack into shambling mounds and/or fungoids which it can then send out to attack its enemies or to plant itself elsewhere!

MissHappen

First Post
Hellspores

I agree; Shamblers are too tough for minion generation, but I think it would make a grand host body. How about something like a corrupted version of Myconids? That is, if we decide it can make animals into minions. I was adhering to the idea that it viewed animals as potential compost, and made minions out of plants.

-MsM

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Re: Hellspores

MissHappen said:
I agree; Shamblers are too tough for minion generation, but I think it would make a grand host body. How about something like a corrupted version of Myconids? That is, if we decide it can make animals into minions. I was adhering to the idea that it viewed animals as potential compost, and made minions out of plants.

-MsM

I agree that Shamblers are a bit powerful unfortunately they are the only mobile plants listed in the MM (and I tend to stick to the core-core books (and SRD))

I agree too that it thinks of animals as compost, but was thinking that the minions could arise as a byproduct of their transformation into a plant.

For instance there is aplant in New Zealand which invades the bodies of caterpillars and turns them into wood! - may our beasty does something similar...

Remove ads