Crimson Sakura- Ninja/Geisha Prestige class [Design Diary]

Aikuchi

Transient
perform and disguise i think go well in hand (if the sneak skills werent relevant). Disguise checks rolled to ... lower suspicions and threat =^.^=

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Thanks Aik! :)

Path of the Ghost

Ki Evade (Su): As an immediate action, you may spend one use of Shadow Arts to cause a single attack against her to miss when it would otherwise hit. Ki Evade provides a miss chance equals 15%, plus 5% per class level, to a maximum of 50%.
See invisibility has no effect on the concealment granted by Ki Evade, but True seeing negates the miss chance. This concealment does not stack with that caused by other effects that grant concealment or by spells such as blink or displacement.

Ethereal Stride (Su): As a swift action, the Crimson Sakura may spend one use of Shadow Arts to become ethereal for 1 round. Requires Ki Evade.

Keening (Su): As a standard action you may spend one use of Shadow Arts to make a frightful Keening attack. All living creatures within 30 feet must make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + your Crimson Sakura class level + your Charisma modifier) or become panicked for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). This is an enchantment, mind-affecting, fear effect. A creature that has successfully saved against your Keening cannot be affected by your Keening for 24 hours.

Soul Strike (Su) (Path of the Ghost Mastery): As a swift action, you can spend one use of Shadow Arts to make a Sudden Strike you make a Soul Strike. In addition to the sudden strike’s normal effects, the target needs to make a Will saving throw or take 2 points of ability damage to an ability score of the Crimson Sakura’s choice.
This is a necromantic effect.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Path of the Clever Crane

Elusive Dodge (Ex): You gain the Dodge feat, even if your do not meet the prerequisites. As a swift action, you may spend one use of Shadow Arts to apply your dodge bonus against to a number of additional opponents equal to your Dexterity modifier (minimum 1) for one round . Requires 8 ranks of Perform (Dance).

Elusive Duellist (Ex): Against your dodge target, you do not attract attacks of opportunity. You may forgo this benefit if you desire. Requires Elusive Dodge and 12 ranks of Perform (Dance).

Elusive Dance (Ex): Against each time your dodge target misses you with a melee attack, your dodge bonus increases against them by +1. Your dodge bonus from elusive Dance has a maximum of your Dexterity bonus (minimum +1), or +5, which ever is lower. If you are hit by your dodge target, the bonus resets to +1. Requires Elusive Dodge and 9 ranks of Perform (dance).

Defensive Roll (Clever Crane Mastery) (Ex): A Crimson Sakura who has mastered the Path of the Clever Crane can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. When she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the Crimson Sakura can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the Crimson Sakura must spend one use of Shadow Arts and attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC= damage dealt). If she succeeds, he only takes half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack, and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll – if she is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the evasion or improved evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.
Using Defensive Roll is an immediate action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Very good stuff. You produce works very quickly.

I, on the other hand, only get 5 minutes here and there to jump on see what is up on the site and maybe post a quick 2 bit comment. Anyway, I like how the mechanics of your PRC are developing.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Squee, praise! :lol:

I'm enjoying working on it. Since I'm on summer break, I have a lot more time to work on things on my off time. :)

Thanks for the comment, I'm glad for the input. Here's the last of your suggestions.

---

Path of the Songbird
Note: Most of the Disciplines require the use of Bardic Music/ Geisha Performance.

Mimic (Su): As a swift action, a Crimson Sakura may spend one use of Shadow Arts to imitate any sound she has heard for up to 1 minute per class level. Listeners must make a Will save (DC equals the Crimson Sakura’s perform check) to detect the ruse.

The volume of the noise is limited by the Crimson Sakura’s skill level. She may create the noise of 1 normal human per rank she has in Perform (Oratory or Sing). The noise that Mimic produces can be virtually any sound within the volume limit. A horde of rats running and squeaking is about the same volume as eight humans running and shouting. A roaring lion is equal to the noise from sixteen humans, while a roaring dire tiger is equal to the noise from twenty humans

Mimic is normally emanated from your square, but a Crimson Sakura may also “throw” her voice for the purpose of this ability. Mimicking at range is more difficult, and less effective. A Crimson Sakura can produce noise in this fashion at a range of 10 feet, plus 5 feet per class level. She may only produce the noise of 1 human per 2 ranks of Perform (Oratory or Sing), and the DC to detect the mimicry is 10 + ½ the Crimson Sakura’s class level + her Charisma modifier.

Mimic is an Illusion (figment), effect.

I'm not sure about this one. It seems a bit off at this stage. Mimic is based partly off of the Blue Dragon's Sound Mimicry special ability, and partly off of Ghost Sound. How has it turned out?

Lullaby (Su): As a swift action, a Crimson Sakura with 12 or more ranks in a Perform skill can spend one use of Shadow Arts to induce a sleeping state in creatures she has already fascinated. Using this ability does not break concentration on the fascination effect nor does it allow a second saving throw against the fascination effect. Lullaby is identical to Sleep, except that it affects a total number of hit dice equal the Crimson Sakura’s ranks in the Perform skill she is using. The Crimson Sakura may choose which fascinated creatures to use Lullaby upon. Those unaffected by Lullaby remain fascinated.

A Will saving throw (DC 10 + the Crimson Sakura’s class level + her Charisma modifier) negates the effect. Lullaby is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting, sleep effect. Those affected by Lullaby remain asleep for as long as the Crimson Sakura remains performing, plus 1 minute per class level.
Lullaby requires 12 or more ranks in a Perform skill, and either the Bardic Music or Geisha Performance class feature (and must have Fascinate).

It's more powerful than Suggestion, so I bumped up the requirements.

Song of Idiocy (Su): As a swift action, a Crimson Sakura with 15 or more ranks in a Perform skill can spend one use of Shadow Arts to cause a state of idiocy in one or more creature she has already fascinated. Using this ability does not break concentration on the fascination effect nor does it allow a second saving throw against the fascination effect. The effect is identical to feeblemind, except that it affects a total number of hit dice equal the Crimson Sakura’s ranks in the Perform skill she is using. The Crimson Sakura may choose which fascinated creatures to use Song of Idiocy upon. Those unaffected by Song of Idiocy remain fascinated.

A Will saving throw (DC 10 + the Crimson Sakura’s class level + her Charisma modifier) negates the effect. Dong of Idiocy is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting effect. Those affected by Song of Idiocy remain feebleminded for as long as the Crimson Sakura remains performing, plus 1 minute per class level.
Song of Idiocy requires 15 or more ranks in a Perform skill, and either the Bardic Music or Geisha Performance class feature (and must have Fascinate), and Lullaby.

A female performer who can turn people into idiots? hmmm.... :lol: I considered resticting to to targets of the opposite gender.

Songbird Mastery (Ex): A Crimson Sakura who has mastered the Path of the Songbird may take 10 on Balance, Perform, and Tumble checks, even if stress or distractions would otherwise prevent her from doing so.
Additionally, as a swift action she may spend one use of Shadow arts to gain a competence bonus to Balance, Perform, and Tumble checks equal to her Crimson Sakura level for 1 round.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Poison Lotus Discussion

As it stands, the Poison Lotus Discipline, second on the Path of the Lotus is the same as the Poison spell, which is pretty lethal (1d10 Con/1d10 Con).

I'm considering allowing the ability to choose from several different effects, thereby reflecting different poison types (probably only Str, Dex, and Con poison, but maybe Wis as well), perhaps for missions where the goal is not to kill.

Another thing could be to reduce the variability of the ability damage, or to start with a weaker effect, and have it grow more powerful the more Disciplines the character has. Alternatively, it could be tied to class levels.

Alternative Discipline

Poison Lotus (Su): When using Breath of the Lotus, you may make a Poison Lotus attack instead of causing paralysis.

You may inflict a poison that deals Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution damage. The amount of initial and secondary damage depends on how any disciplines the character has learned.

Ability damage by number of disciplines known
Code:
Disciplines	Ability damage
1-2		1d4/1d4
3-4		1d6/1d6
5		2d4/2d4
6+		3d4/3d4

Opinions?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Master of Masks

Here's the trial version of the Mastery ability for Path of the Three Masks (see post 1).

Master of Masks (Path of Three Masks Mastery) (Su): A Crimson Sakura who has mastered the Path of the Three Masks can, as a standard action, spend one use of Shadow Arts to insulate herself against divination effects. Master of Masks persists for 1 hour per class level.

Anyone who employs a divination spell (such as detect magic), spell-like ability, or magic item that could detect the magical aura of one of your spells, spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities (including this one) must make a successful caster level check (DC 11 + your caster level) to succeed.

Similarly, a spellcaster attempting to reveal the effects of one of your spells via a divination spell (such as see invisibility) must make a caster level check to succeed. The caster may check only once for each divination spell used, no matter how many of your spell effects are operating in that area.

Master of Masks is an illusion (glamer) effect.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I am folding the new paths into the OP and implementing the changes to the Poison Lotus discipline.

Does anyone have suggestions for a write up of the Crimson Sakura ninja clan?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Epic Goodies on the way

Just a quick post, working on the organisation descriptions, as well as some Epic Disciplines

For now, the Epic progression of the class.

Epic level Ninja of the Crimson Sakura
HD: d6

Level Special
11 Sudden Strike +4d6
12 Discipline
13 -
14 Sudden Strike +5d6
15 Discipline, Bonus Feat
16 -
17 Sudden Strike +6d6
18 Discipline
19 -
20 Sudden Strike +7d6, Mastery, Bonus Feat
etc...

Spellcasting: The Crimson Sakura's caster level increases by one on every level she doesn't gain Sudden Strike (12th and 13th, 15th and 16th, etc). She does not gain any further spells per day or spells known.
I thought about giving a max of 20th casting level, but it seemed simpler to max it out.

Sudden Strike: The Crimson Sakura's sudden strike ability increases by +1d6 at 11th level, and every 3 levels thereafter (14th, 17th, etc)

Bonus Feat: The Crimson Sakura gains a bonus feat at 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter (10th, 15th, 20th, etc).
I feel the class gets enough special abilities that it should have the lowest amount of bonus feats for an epic class.

Discipline: The Crimson sakura gains knowledge of a new discipline at 12th level, and every 3 levels thereafter. As an Epic Crimson Sakura, she now has access to Epic Disciplines, in addition to normal Crimson Sakura disciplines. These are being worked on, but I'm not ready to post them up.

Mastery: The Crimson Sakura gains a mastery of a school she has completed at 20th level, and every 10 levels thereafter.

Last edited:

Remove ads