Crossed Paths, Part II

Inez Hull

First Post
"If we are going to wait, I suggest we withdraw from these ruins back to our camp in the woods."

Ehldannis turns to Brioc, "Are you sure his word will be good? I hope so, his people fought against the Melniboneans for many years and he is more familiar than us with these ruins. If we can form a working peace with these lizard-people it could be of great benefit to us." The glint in Ehldannis's eyes at the thought of uncovering some hidden lore or magic is quite unnerving in one so physically unimposing.

"We still seem no closer to uncovering Sergius's motives, although it seems apparent that he was operating independantly of the other archeologists. It is possible that with his magic they were unaware of his true nature. We must be wary for his return, for I cannot imagine his thirst for the spear to be abated."

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
"He is one of my order, and seems to put weight in our traditions, so I think we can trust him, at least for now. I think the totality of our victory over them might have persuaded G'ruk it would be better to use negotiation that force when it comes to our little group." Brioc replies to Ehldannis, a little distracted by Octar's obvious disapproval of his decision.

"I think he's got as much to gain as us with this arrangement. By the sounds of things, his own attempts to subdue the beast that guards the water have met with little success." Brioc gathers up his gear as he speaks.

"When everyone is ready, we should return to the aspen grove to rest. Should any of G'ruk's companions decide that they will not be bound by his word, I would like to make ourselves a little more difficult to find."

Manzanita

First Post
October 18th

The party returns to the entrance through the pillared hall, slogging through bat guano which almost reaches their knees. (over Dhormium's knees, even.) They find their aspen grove as they left it a few hours earlier. Mendicus moves the horses to find more grass. In future days, he will have to let them roam free - there's not enough grass in the aspen glade for 7 horses. The group spends the rest of the day studying, practicing their skills, and discussing events. Night comes, and watches are set. Again, the party feels there is a lot of life in the area. Mysterious splashes are heard, bird and bat calls flitter through the night. Bushes russle with the passage of unknown animals. But no events of note occur, and in the morning, the party awakens refreshed and ready to continue their explorations.

Please note any spell changes and where you'll head next.

doghead

thotd
Marcus is happy to be outside again. He takes the opportunity to sharpen up his sword skills with the others. While he works with both the short and long sword, it is the short sword he goes with in the end. He is both faster and more dangerous with it, despite the greater clout of the longsword. He works on his feint. If he can get if happening more smoothly, he can easily compensate for the shortswords lesser damage.

Otherwise, he spends his time a little way from the campsite. Somewhere with a view of the approaches, and also the campsite. His mind picks away at the problem of Sergius, but finds no solutions.

At lunch, he raises the problem of Sergius with the others.

"Perhaps we should use the nights to explore the caves, and rest during he day. If Sergius returns, we will be at less of a disadvantage during the day. On the other hand, that leaves the horses unguarded at night. But they will unguarded at one time or another if we go back down. Should we use the three days to wait here for Serguis?

ooc: a bit out of sequence. this would be for the same day that we entered the caves/temple.

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
"I think we should spend a little time scouting our surroundings. If we are to say here for any time, it would be better to have an idea of the lie of the land." Brioc says, resting leaning back against a tree stump.

"As for Sergius, we can't be sure he'll return. If we return to the caves, then there is no disadvantage to us if we sleep during the day, but otherwise I think it makes little sense to alter our sleeping patterns. But what say the rest of you?"

eoghanbt

First Post
Tullius apparently decides to say his peace.

"We should scout the surroundings, if only for piece of mind when we return into the workings. I'd rather not become trapped by something we shouldn't have missed..."

Manzanita

First Post
Tullius is quite familiar with the area, which is a mostly a mixture of woodlands and swamps. There is also the human village a couple miles away, which Tullius has never visited. They don't seem to venture into this area much.

doghead

thotd
Marcus nods in acknowledgment of Brioc's point about sleeping patterns.

***​

ooc: I'm going to assume that Tullius mentioned the village if it has not already come to Marcus' attention.

"We could make a visit to the village. A couple of miles ... we could be there and back the same day if need be.

"A little fresh food and a bath would not go amiss. And there are a few items that I would like to pick up. We could trade for some of the armour we have collected.

"And there might just be someone who can tell us a little more about the spearpoint."

ooc: in particular, Marcus is looking for a throwing weapon - the handaxe seems the best option at the moment. We don't have any on us, do we? Just thought I would check first. A couple of thunderstones/sunsticks could be useful as well.

Remove ads