• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossed Paths, Part II

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc marches along the passageway, scimitar in hand. He wants to be forewarned should they approach any lizardfolk...

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis stops and holds up his hand. He cocks his head as he slowly scans the wall, "...yes... here. Another doorway. We should investigate, it would be unwise to leave a hidden portal behind us. Ware though, I sense that there are all manner of beings lairing in these ruins, and the lizardmen and gnolls the least of them."

doghead

thotd
If needed Marcus moves over to the door. He puts down his crossbow and hands over the lantern to whomever to free up his hands. He takes time to carefully check the door before beginning. He's got a light touch but he's not exactly a practiced thief.

ooc: check for traps. check for opening mechanism. listen. open - Disable Device +6, Listen +6, Open lock +7, Spot +6.

Krilith

First Post
~Before Marcus tries to open the door Dhormium attempts to stop him. Not knowing what is behind that turn is as bad as an itch that doesn’t go away, and so he speaks in a whisper~

Marcus, wait just a little, I would like to know what lies behind this bend first. It’s not smart to walk through tunnels when you are facing two unknown parts at the same time. Brioc, it is only a quick glance and then I’ll be at ease again. The tunnels have surprised us once already when we encountered G’ruk and his fellows.”

doghead

thotd
Marcus pauses at Dhormium interjection. His expression takes on a puzzled air as the Dwarf says what he wants to say.

"Brioc has the corner covered as he has since as soon as we found this door. I'm sure that he would have told us if there is anything lying beyond it. But perhaps you could take a look as well. Your eyes are much better suited to this darkness than any of ours are."

Marcus waits motionless until the Dhormium moves off to assist Brioc before continuing with the door (listen and look). But in deference to his companion, he holds off opening anything til the dwarf has confirmed that there is nothing around the corner for himself.

Krilith

First Post
doghead said:
Marcus waits motionless until the Dhormium moves off to assist Brioc before continuing with the door. But in deference to his companion, he holds off opening anything til the dwarf has confirmed that there is nothing around the corner for himself.
~Content with Marcus’ delay of action the cautious dwarf walks to the bend of the passageway and peers around the corner to see with dwarves eyes for something a human might have missed~

If all is well the dwarf turns and nods Marcus the ‘Okay’ and says “Thanks” in dwarven tongue.

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
"This place seems to be bristling with hidden doorways. I wonder why..." Brioc muses. "There's got to be something of value down here for someone to have gone to this much effort to hide it."

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis looks askance at Brioc and clears his throat in an all too human gesture. "Is that not why we are here my friend, to find a long hidden secret?."

Jarval

Explorer
Inez Hull said:
Ehldannis looks askance at Brioc and clears his throat in an all too human gesture. "Is that not why we are here my friend, to find a long hidden secret?."
"It is indeed, but all this goes some way beyond what I would expect. Of course, my expectations are perhaps lower than those who have had more exposure to the Romans and their grand works."

Manzanita

First Post
Glancing around the corner, the dwarf sees that the passage continues south for 30 feet, before heading down, presumably a stairway.

Marcus examines the panel. After scraping away some grime, he can see that it was once an ornate panel, though what is was displaying cannot now be determined. The mechanism is similar to the other one the party examined & opened, and the Gypsy is confident he can open it without mishaps. Removing a couple key bricks, he is able to shove the panel aside.

Behind it is a 5 foot wide coridor heading south for 30 feet, to a dead end. The dust is heavy, and Marcus suspects this door hasn't been used for centuries.

Remove ads