Crouching Tiger, Not so Hidden CGI (trailer)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
looks like a fun wuxia. I wonder if the American influence is going to change anything.

apparently the big news behind this is that the cinema lines have shunned it due to its simultaneous release on both Netflix and Imax - supposedly an experiment in multi-platform release. The cinema's however want to retain the exclusivity of the "Cinema experience"

Feh. They shunned the original because it had an Asian lead and cast, and was subtitled. Then all of a sudden when it made a pile of money, they flocked to it. The cinema lines need to realize they're living on borrowed time, anyway.

Not sure.

I loved Kung Fu Hustle, but isn't it a comedy?

It is a comedy but Stephen Chow is an excellent performer. If you liked Kung Fu Hustle you might want to check out A Chinese Odyssey (a two part film with Chow as Monkey). Shaolin Soccer was really good as well.

Thanks, again. I've been meaning to check out more King Hu. I'm ashamed to admit I'd hadn't heard of him until my wife and I watched this excellent documentary series by Mark Cousins on the history of cinema called "The Story of Film: An Odyssey". I highly recommend it, if you haven't seen it. The whole thing, all 15 hours, was available on Netflix... and... (checking) isn't anymore... damn.

It's probably nothing new if you've studied film, but for amateur cinephiles like me & mine, it was well worth seeing.

I never studied film (I was a history major in college). So I am just coming at this as a fan of the genre and someone who did martial arts.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It is a comedy but Stephen Chow is an excellent performer. If you liked Kung Fu Hustle you might want to check out A Chinese Odyssey (a two part film with Chow as Monkey). Shaolin Soccer was really good as well.

Shaolin Soccer is awesome too, just like Kung Fu Hustle:)

haven't seen Chinese Odyssey yet

Remove ads