• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crypt of Crimson Stars

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Not nice stories? Bring bad dreams?" the half orc whispers, understanding filling his lone eye "Me have bad dreams, dreams of hurt and shame" he nods in sympathy "me know how feel, we not talk. Now time for drink and eat, time be friend - yes?" he queries as his eye locks gazes with each of his new comrades in turn.

eabha

First Post
Shaking off the memories of that terrible night at sea, Aalin smiles at Grilok. She is surprised and pleased by his compassion.

"I have plenty of stories that have happy endings," she assures him. "Perhaps during our journey I will share some of them with you."

Aalin is not ready to tell that particular tale just yet and is glad the half-orc has suggested forgetting their bad dreams for the evening and just enjoying themselves.

Prof Yeti

First Post
Brodin Stoneheart - Ranger 3/ Fighter 4

Seeing the pain flash across his new companions eyes Brodin has his own flashback to the war and the Cyran refugees he could not save. He is brought out of the memory by the gaze of Grilok. "Your right my large friend, this is a time to celebrate our new company." He exclaimes in his deep brogue. But turning to Aalin with a bit of concern on his face he quitely adds "When your ready I look forward to the tales."

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Death Gift is my name, rather than Death Kiss, friend Brodin. But I would enjoy more wine," Death Gift says. "And I greet all of you, Grilok, Aalin," she says politely, nodding to each in turn. "And I have a tale that I am willing to tell. Long ago, when I was but a small child in Aerenal, I fell very ill. It was a wasting disease known as the Spirit Plague, one thought to be caused when a bloodline does not properly honor their ancestors. To aleviate the curse, my family did the appropriate thing, which was to bring me to the City of the Dead, along with many gifts to appease the ancestors. I do not recall waking, but I had visions of my ancestors, and they spoke to me of my purpose as I lay in the Deathless Court. They said that I would pass beyond the veil, and return with more power than before. They wished me to travel to learn the true meaning of life and death, and to bring that truth to my family. I have been traveling since," she says in a matter-of-fact voice.

Prof Yeti

First Post
Brodin Stoneheart - Ranger 3/ Fighter 4

"My apologize ma'lady, no offense was meant." Somewhat embarrassed he turns and signals for more wine to the serving girl. Returning to look at Death Gift "Tis fascinating to say the least! I have met all forms of the undead before but never one of the Undying. But I admit my knowledge of them is lacking. I would here more if you would?" Shifting back to watch the group as a whole "Well at least the trip will not be boring with these tales!" he say with a grin breaking across his face.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Grilok Hookfang Half Orc Druid

"Good story" Griloks says as he throws back a tankard of the house ale "So you dead?" he says sniffing the air around the elf "Same smell as live elf" he grunts with a wink.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Death Gift smiles at the half-orc. "No, I'm not dead now. I died at least once before, as my ancestors foretold. Death holds no secrets to me," she says calmly.

D20Dazza

Explorer
"My ancients called Gatekeepers, they all dead" he tips back his head guffawing with laughter which is abruptly cut-off as he continues "but they tell me secrets, they tell how turn back evil, alien evil" he states simply "they learn me - your ancients learn you too?" the big half orc says, addressing the beautiful elf softly.

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Grliok, Aalin, Brodin and Death Gift remain at the Drunken Dragon until the wee hours of the morning, enjoying one another's newfound company. At last, they decide that some rest is in order before embarking on the journey to the Talenta Plains, so they retire to their respective lodgings for the night.

The next morning, they reassemble at the office of Tophran Damilek, ready to begin the hunt for the Crimson Dragonshard. Alundel, the dark gnome from the meeting the day before has also returned, though he still is not very talkative. True to his word, Tophran has booked them passage on an airship to Korth in Karrnath, and he distributes tickets to each adventurer. "You've got the map of the crypt's location, still?" he checks with Brodin. "Very well, then," he seems satisfied of your preparation. "Best of luck to you! I'll be anxiously awaiting your return."

The trip to the Plains is utterly uneventful, but it serves to allow the new companions to get to know one another even better. Still, after a five-day trip via airship from Sharn to Korth, then another three days by lightning rail to Gatherhold, and several days of hiking northward across the Talenta Plains, even the most even-keeled of the group is itching for a little action.

The party has been following Tophran's map, trekking along the bank of a clear stream. On the third day, the gentle stream empties into a placid lake ahead. A lone hill juts up from the lakeshore, with a gradual slope on the south side and a steeper slope on the west. A tiny clump of trees grows on the top of the hill, and scattered patches of brush cling to the slope. On the summit of the hill, a thin stream of smoke rises into the sky. A slight ridge runs parallel to the slope of the hill on the opposite side of the stream crowned with some shrubbery. From the map, you know you're close now. The entrance to the Crypt of Crimson Stars should be around on the northwestern face of the hill.

(OOC: I'll need a general party formation, and any actions you wish to take now. Below is a link to a map of the area.)

http://www.freewebs.com/nrfc49/images.htm

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Death Gift, female elf wizard/blood magus with rat familiar Krall

Death Gift and Krall will take a position towards the middle, knowing that she doesn't need to take the brunt of any blows. She murmurs a pair of spells, surrounding herself with invisible armor, and enchanting a pocket in her robe for Krall to secure himself in. "Well then, how shall we go? I have many spells that can reach a wide area, and a few that are more useful against an individual. And I have one incantation of invisibility, should one of us have a need for more extreme stealth. I may be of best use in the middle," Death Gift tells the others.

Remove ads