D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - Death House

industrygothica

Adventurer
Mr. Aldershot is confident in his affirmation that the mist is not natural.

Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors in and around the muddy roadway. Giant trees loom on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mist. You travel down this lonely road for what must be at least another five hours, until eventually the fog spills out of the forest to swallow up the road behind you. Ahead, jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, are high stone buttresses looming grey in the fog. Huge iron gates hand on the stonework. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two headless statues of armed guardians flank the gate, their heads now lying among the weeds at their feet. They greet you only with silence.

jedd-chevrier-gates-of-barovia-chevrier-branded.jpg

Yavathol

Explorer

"Wow!", Wergil smiled, "Now we're getting somewhere!"

As he approaches the statues, he carefully examines them and tries to recall if he has ever heard of a gate that looks like this.

"My tutor, Oscar, the doddery old curmudgeon, tried to teach me about old stuff, but that was just dates and words on a page! I might have paid more attention if it had all been as solid and impressive as this.

OOC:
[roll0]

Also,how old does he reckon it is?

[sblock=status]Wergil hp 15/15
Str +0(+2 Saves) Dex +3, Con +3(+5 Saves), Int -1, Wis +0, Cha +0
Athletics +2, History +1, Perception +2, Persuasion +2, Survival +2
AC 18
Inspiration yes
Rages 2/2
HD: 1/1[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Mr. Aldershot approaches the statues, to gaze at the shattered visages, half sunk, whose frowns and wrinkled lips and sneers of cold command tell that their sculptors well those passions read.

"What magnificent statues of halfling warriors," he utters almost to himself.

[section]Girri hung back and stared at the statue heads lying in the weeds. She muttered aloud, "Feckless ruin stamped on these lifeless things, the hand that mocked them and the heart that fed on our misery." She shouldered her way forward just a bit closer to read the inscription at the base of one of the statues. "Oi! What is that, there, on the pedestal? 'My name is something-something, King of Kings. Look on my works, Ye Mighty and despair.'" She snorted. "Someone thinks a lot of theirself." [/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1
HP: 8/8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Saves: Dexterity, Charisma
Languages: Common, Halfling (race), Vistari (background)
Passive Perception: +4

STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 15

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell attack modifier: +4
Cantrips (2): light, prestidigitation
1st level (2/2): cure wounds, dissonant whispers, faerie fire, sleep

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Bladed Scarf +4, 1d4+2, finesse, 10 ft reach
Dagger +4, 1d4+2, thrown, finesse, light, 20'

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Wergil figures that the gates and the statures are several hundred years old.

As Farshid approaches, the gates swing open of their own volition. The heavy iron hinges wail in protest of their disturbed slumber.

[section]Girri, ever jittery, jumped when the iron-clad gates groaned their opening. Still, she couldn't help it. Her eyes glittered with interest as she moved to enter along with Wergil. A shiver shook her frame as she passed the open gate. "We're not in Waterdeep anymore." [/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1
HP: 8/8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Saves: Dexterity, Charisma
Languages: Common, Halfling (race), Vistari (background)
Passive Perception: +4

STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 15

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell attack modifier: +4
Cantrips (2): light, prestidigitation
1st level (2/2): cure wounds, dissonant whispers, faerie fire, sleep

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Bladed Scarf +4, 1d4+2, finesse, 10 ft reach
Dagger +4, 1d4+2, thrown, finesse, light, 20'

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

Last edited:

OOC: Perception [roll0]. Stealth [roll1]. Trying, out of habit probably, to be quiet and stealthy (but probably failing while in the middle of a group of people).

Wrex

First Post
The purposeful destruction held some meaning, probably lost to time. "Take care. As we path through, we enter someones territory. Be cautious, til we find out who". Rufus let everyone continue, taking up the rear. He looked behind them as the mist closed off the path.

"Nowhere to go but through".

Remove ads