Curse of the Azure Bonds: Spellcaster Recruiting

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
I'm approaching a point in my ongoing Curse of the Azure Bonds pbp where I can work a new character into the mix. A poster named Brogarn had applied as an alternate, but the party's biggest need is for a primary spellcaster (cleric, sorcerer, wizard etc.).

Brogarn, if you'd like to make a spellcaster character you're still welcome.

Others may apply as well; I'm looking for a character with a good backstory.

The game thread is here.

Starting level: 6 (for my current players, yes that means we're levelling up soon) :)
Alignments: any nonevil

Abilities: 4d6 drop low, reroll ones (at invisiblecastle.com, you can use the 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2) command, and post the results).

Races allowed: from the PHB, FR campaign setting, or Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved (AE)

Classes: from PHB or AE. You can start with racial levels, but not evolved levels. You'll find out how to access evolved levels as we go along.

Starting money: standard for level 6. You most expensive item can be worth 25% of your total starting funds (unlike the starting PCs, your character will start fully equipped).

Difflam

First Post
I would be very happy to join your pbp! In fact I have recently been tinkering with a character I was hoping to work into someones pbp who happens to be a Wizard!

Please let me know if I am in, so that I can start preparing the character for 6th level!

:)

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
OK, post some about your idea for your character: concept, background, quirks etc. I'm not picky about the format, but a good meaty (not necessarily long) concept is how I'll judge who I'll take.

Difflam

First Post
Name: Pav Lilyfoot
Class: Evoker 6 (Forbidden schools: Necro, Illusion)
Race: Halfling
Al: CG

Rolled stats: 12, 15, 12, 11, 15, 14
After voluntary reductions: 12, 15, 10, 8, 15, 14

Stat increase at 4th: Int

Stats:
Str: 8 (-1)
Dex: 17 (+3)
Con: 12 (+1)
Int: 16 (18) (+4)
Wis: 14 (+2)
Cha: 8 (-1)

Level: 6
BAB: +3
Grapple: -2 (+3 BAB, -1 STR, -4 size)
Speed: 20'
Init: +3
HP: 24 (4 1st lvl + 6 con + 5d4)
Current: 24

AC:
Base - 10
Dex - +3
Size - +1
Ring - +1
Mage Armor - (+4)
Total - 15 (19)

Touch - 15 (19)
Flatfooted: 12 (16)

Saves:
Fort: +4 (+1 racial, +1 con, +2 base)
Ref: +8 (+1 racial, +3 dex, +2 familiar, +2 base)
Wil: +8 (+1 racial, +2 wis, +5 base)
Note: +2 vs fear

Height: 3'
Weight: 30lbs
Hair: Brown
Complexion: Pale

Skills:
Skill Points: 20 (+5/level) = 45
Skills - Ranks, Stat Adj, Misc Adj = Total

Concentration (Con) - 9, +1, 0, (+4 Combat Casting) = +10 (+14)
Spellcraft (Int) - 9, +4, 0 = +13
Decipher Script (Int) - 9, +4, 0 = +13
Knowledge (Arcana) (Int) - 9, +4, 0 = +13
Knowledge (Local) (Int) - 9, +4, 0 = +13
Hide (Dex) (cc) - 0, +3, +4 = +7
Move Silent (Dex) (cc) - 0, +3, +2 = +5
Listen (Wis) (cc) - 0, +2, +2 = +4

Feats:
(C) Summon Familiar
(C) Scribe Scroll
(1) Spell Focus: Evocation (+1 save DC)
(3) Combat Casting (+4 Concentration to cast when in combat)
(5) Empower Spell (Effect * 1.5, 2 slots higher)
(6) Craft Wand

Equipment:
Traveler's Outfit (S) - 0gp
Spellbook - 15 gp
Rations (S) - 4gp - number: 8
Spell Component Pouch - 5gp
Handy Haversack - 2000gp - 5lb can hold 80lb, items needed is always on top
Headband of intellect +2 - 4000gp - +2 INT

Rings:
Protection +1 - 2000gp

Wands:
Magic Missile 5th - 1875gp* - charges: 50
Hold Person - 2250gp* - charges: 50

Scrolls:
Mage Armor (lvl 6) - 75gp* each - number: 2
Reduce Person (lvl 6) - 75gp* each - number: 2
Feather Fall (lvl 6) - 75gp* each - number: 1
Fireball (lvl 6) - 225gp* each - number: 1

Potions:
Cure Light Wounds (lvl 1) - 50gp each - number: 4

* = Created item

Gold: 49

Spellbook:
0:
Abjuration: Resistance
Conjuration: Acid Splash
Divination: Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Read Magic
Enchantment: Daze
Evocation: Dancing Lights, Flare, Light, Ray of Frost
Transmutation: Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close
Universal: Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation

1:
Conjuration: Mage Armor, Grease
Enchantment: Sleep
Evocation: Magic Missile, Burning Hands
Transmutation: Feather Fall, Reduce Person

2:
Evocation: Scorching Ray, Flaming Sphere
Enchantment: Hideous Laughter
Transmutation: Bulls Strength

3:
Abjuration: Dispel Magic
Enchantment: Hold Person
Evocation: Fireball
Transmutation: Haste

Memorized:
0:
Light
Mage Hand
Detect Magic
Read Magic
(S)Flare

1:
Sleep
Grease
Mage Armor
Burning Hands
(S)Magic Missile

2:
Scorching Ray
Flaming Sphere
Hideous Laughter
Bulls Strength
(S)Scorching Ray

3:
Fireball
Haste
Hold Person
(S)Fireball

Familiar:
Kret the Weasel
HP: 12
HD: 6
BAB: +7 (+3 base, +2 dex, +2 size)
Damage: 1d3-4
AC Adj: +3
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +3 N.aj), touch 17, flat-footed 15
Special Attacks: Attach
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort: +2(+2 base), Ref: +6(+4 base, +2 dex), Wil: +6(+5 base, +1 wis)
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +10, Hide +11, Move Silently +8, Spot +3
Feats: Agile, Weapon Finesse
Benefits:
+2 Reflex Saves
Alertness
Improved Evasion
Share Spells
Empathic Link
Deliver Touch Spells
Speak With Master

Background:
Pav isn't a typical Halfling. Before he was born, Pav's parents fell into disrepute in the Halfling village where they lived, and were told they "weren't welcome here anymore!". News travelled fast it seems and it wasn't long before all surrounding villages heard news of the "Lilyfoot family disgrace", and they soon found themselves ostracized by pretty much every Halfing in the area.

It was as unusual step, but Pavs parents decided to move to a not to distant Human city. Now they had never been too fond of cities, but they felt that they didn't have much alternatives at this stage. Although it was very hard at first, they managed to make it work, and they eventually came to know the city life as their home.

So it came to be that Pav was born and raised as a filthy lower-class Halfling brat, who was always picked on by the larger kids (pretty much every kid was larger than Pav). He manged to learn fairly early that using his brains and wits was the only way he was going to get by without a daily pummelling. Although a good kid at heart, he was quickly heading down the wrong path, and most likely would have ended up a cutpurse if his parents hadn't intervened. They realized that Pav needed to be kept busy, doing anything that would keep him off the streets and out of trouble. They managed to scrape together all the savings they could, took out quite a few loans, and begged and negotiated with the admissions officer of the local school to take Pav in as a student. Although the debt was difficult for them to burden, they were happy that at least their son had a hope to become a decent Halfling when he grew up.

Pav despized the school at first. Since he had recieved little education up to this point, he felt overwhelmed by all the things he was expected to know and learn. The kids at the school weren't much better than the street kids, and soon many of them were trying to assert their authority over poor Pav due to his diminutive size. He was able to hold his own most of the time, mostly by lying and tricking his assailants, but he grew ever more bitter at the world as a result.

Over the years Pav managed to catch up his learning, and in fact surpassed most of the other kids. It was also at around this time that Pav started taking a keen interest in Magic. He had always felt hard done by the world for being so small and weak, and yet here was this fantastic tool which he could use to level the playing field in his favour. The interest soon turned into an obsession and his schooling, as well as the few friends he had made, became a distraction from his new found love.

He read all he could find about it, and eventually found he was able to perform small magic feats himself. Suddenly the tables had turned. If anyone tried to confront Pav, he could now blind them temporarily with a wave of his hand, or Dazzle them long enough for him to get away, or make acid appear out of nowhere and eat away their clothes (much to their embarrasment). Although this quickly stopped the bullying, most kids became wary and distrustful of Pav, and he found that his isolation only became worse.

Eventually he got fed up with the school, all the people who didn't understand him, and the inability to further his knowledge in his passion, Magic. He begged his parents to send him to the local Wizards Academy, and although they were reluctant at first, a few "mysterious" incidents of their clothes disolving in public soon changed their minds.

The Wizards at the Academy quickly realized Pavs potential, given that he had already managed to teach himself some basic cantrips, and were eager to take him on. Pav greatly enjoyed his studies at the Academy over the following years, and found his life had become much more rewarding.

Eventually he graduated with flying colors as a full-fledged Wizard. Unable to resist temptation he went looking for some of the kids who had made his life miserable all those years ago, hoping to get a little payback. He found that most of them had either left the city, were dead, or were working in some menial lowly job, looking like life had defeated them. Pav realized that they had recieved their payback without any intervention from him.

In the years that followed, Pav did some work for the Academy, as well as a bit of freelancing. He took a bit of time now and then to go explore the world, and managed to find himself in many sticky situations, but he always managed to pull though in the end. He never wavered from his studies of Magic, and found that over time his abilities in it grew to levels he never would have believed, all those years ago as a little brat on the street, being beaten up for his lunch money.

Although time had softened Pavs cynicism of the world somewhat, he still often found it difficult to trust people, and to connect with them on a personal level. He had never been able to fully develop his social skills properly, and often found he prefered to be alone rather than with company. His only true friend is his Familiar, Kret (a Weasel).

Last edited:

Difflam

First Post
I just rolled for stats on invisible castle, and the rolls are almost TOO good... here are the results:

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=706813

As you can see thats some pretty insane stats. I'm willing to reduce them or re-roll if you think they are too good.

Also, I don't have access to a DMG right now, can you tell me what the starting gold for a lvl 6 Wizard is?

Last edited:

Difflam

First Post
Aww cmon. Can't blame a guy for having a few "practice rolls" can you? It's a stupid habit I picked up playing in RL. After I had rolled a few times to get a feel for what kind of numbers this rolling method tends to give, I realized that rolling several times might be seen in a bad light (since how would anyone know when I decided, "OK this is the real one") which is why I switched the first and last name around and said "OK I only get one roll this time... Whatever I get this time I keep, this is the real one.", which is when the insane rolls came up. And I kinda felt guilty that they were SO good since I had technically had a few practise rolls previous, hence I offered to re-roll or reduce them. I mean its not like I knew that this particular roll would be so much better before I actually rolled it, and for what its worth I would have kept the "real roll" no matter what numbers came up.

But sorry for that, I honestly didn't want to decieve, and also I don't much care about stats I just want to do some RPing. If you will reconsider I would be more than willing to have you assign my stats for me if you want, or make me keep the worst of the practise rolls, or make me start at a lower level etc.

Surely everyone deserves a second chance? :D

Last edited:

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
Difflam: alright, maybe I should've let you explain yourself before I came down on you. I admit there is a similar practice in some of the groups I've been, but it's usually no more that 2, so I'll let you pick from your first 2 rolls.

Tailspinner: Our roster at the moment includes:

giant warmain/giant paragon (basically a tank fighter)
halfling druid
human barbarian
human monk
litorian totem speaker (sort of like a druid but gains extraordinary powers as he levels kind of like a monk)
human rogue

Remove ads