Custom Spells (Revised 7-18-2006)

IcyCool

First Post
I've got a 3rd level Kenku wizard in the wings, awaiting the time when we get to bring in 3rd level characters. So I thought I take advantage of the wait and put up some custom spells I'd like for him to have/design. All spells will, of course, be private to that character.

Bone Puppet is the one that has me the most concerned. I'm pretty sure that it is overpowered as is. I think changing it to forcing the subject to only making a single standard action per round (like a zombie), which the caster dictates (with the same restriction on it not being a spell/power, spell/psi-like, or supernatural ability) is a good idea. I could use some help on that one. It is, at its core, a hold-person that lets you force the subject to perform a single physical action (standard action in this case).

I'm also not entirely pleased with the wording on Eyes of the Dead, but can't think of a better way to word it right now.

I've got a few more spells for approval, but I haven't finished them yet.

Custom Spells:
Crackbeak's Skeletal Reader
Illusion(Figment)
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components: V,F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close(25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Target: One non-magical text
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

In a hollow voice, the skull begins reciting (in the language the text is written in) the contents of the text chosen when casting the spell. The skull can be commanded to start, stop, adjust volume (from a harsh whisper up to the sound of a single human shouting), or skip to specific points in the text (such as chapters or page numbers). The skull can only read languages that the caster knows, and always reads the literal words on the page (it does not infer meaning or decipher coded text). For purposes of interacting with other spells and effects, the skull does not count as a "creature with a language". If a text has any magical writing (including magical traps that must be read to activate), then it is an invalid target for this spell. When the spell duration expires or the spell is dismissed, the skull goes silent.

Skeletal Reader can be made permanent with a permanency spell (with the same restrictions and cost as ghost sound).

Arcane Focus: The skull from a small or larger creature, prepared with oils costing 5gp.

Crackbeak's Eyes of the Dead
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch
Target: One dead creature which has been dead no longer than 1 week.
Duration: 1 round/level

The caster's eyes roll into the back of his head and he views the last few moments of the target's life, right up to the moment of its death. Starting at the moment the target died, the caster views the last several rounds of the target's life in reverse order, up to the duration of the spell. The caster is only able to see events from the target's eyes, and no other sense than sight is available. After the spell is completed, the caster is nauseated for 1 round as he recovers from the disorientation.

Material Component: An eye from the target creature, which must be eaten by the caster.

Crackbeak's Bone Puppet
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: S,F
Range: Medium(100ft. + 10ft./level)
Target: One corporeal creature
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fort negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster takes the marionette controls and jerks them about. The caster gains control of the target's skeletal structure and may force the target to move according to his whim. The caster cannot force the subject to speak, because he is unable to manipulate the vocal cords, only the target's jaw. If the target is capable of taking purely mental actions, it may do so. The caster otherwise takes control of the target's actions. The caster may force the target to perform a single move action or standard action each round that he is in control, and may make use of the target's abilities, equipment, and feats as he controls the target, but he may not force the target to manifest powers, cast spells, or use any special ability that is not a function of just its body movements (such as abilities that expend psionic focus, use a turn attempt, or expend a spell slot). The target may not make attacks of opportunity while his actions are being controlled by the caster. The target must make a new saving throw against the spells effects each round, if he succeeds, he may act normally on that round.

This spell has no effect on a creature that has no skeletal structure, like a purple worm.

Corporeal undead can be affected by this spell and may add their Charisma bonus, if any, to their saving throw against this spell.

Arcane Focus: Marionette controls made of ivory or bone costing a total of 50gp, which the caster uses to control the motions of the target.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
IcyCool said:
Custom Spells:
Crackbeak's Skeletal Reader
Illusion(Figment)
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components: V,F
Target: One non-magical text
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
silent image (1st) + ventriloquism (1st) with the ability to read a text (??) with longer durations than either. Its more powerful than a cantrip, less useful than magic mouth, so I'd say it should be first. Might want to put the magic mouth constrains on it (cannot activate command words, etc.)

Crackbeak's Eyes of the Dead
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Range: Touch
Target: One dead creature
Duration: 1 minute/level
Wasn't there a non-SRD spell that does this? Its similar in power to the Seer 2nd level powers, so should be okay.

Crackbeak's Skeletal Minions
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Effect: 1 Human Warrior Skeleton/2 levels (max 5)
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
The summon undead spells (corrected in Heroes of Horror) does this at third, except is is a 1 round casting (like all summon X spells) and would summon a fixed 4 skeletons.

Crackbeak's Bone Puppet
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: S,F
Range: Medium(100ft. + 10ft./level)
Target: One corporeal creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Similar to the kinetic power control body. Duration should be concentration (with a max) since that is what the caster is doing. Otherwise, seems similar (though I'd change it to fort save, not well, as you are controlling the body it sounds like, not manipulating the will).

Bront

The man with the probe
Doesn't seem to bad at first glace. Researching spells will cost craft points though, just so you are aware. We're still porting over the craft point revised rules.

IcyCool

First Post
stonegod said:
silent image (1st) + ventriloquism (1st) with the ability to read a text (??) with longer durations than either. Its more powerful than a cantrip, less useful than magic mouth, so I'd say it should be first. Might want to put the magic mouth constrains on it (cannot activate command words, etc.)

Actually, I looked at this as a lower-powered ghost sound. Am I missing something?

stonegod said:
Wasn't there a non-SRD spell that does this? Its similar in power to the Seer 2nd level powers, so should be okay.

No idea, honestly. How does the wording sound to you? Is it clear to you what the spell does? It's like Speak with dead except you just get a visual playback of the creatures last few minutes, and don't get to stop to ask any questions.

stonegod said:
The summon undead spells (corrected in Heroes of Horror) does this at third, except is is a 1 round casting (like all summon X spells) and would summon a fixed 4 skeletons.

My understanding is that we don't have the Summon Undead line of spells available. I felt this was a pretty decent spell at lower levels, and pretty pointless at higher ones. But if the Summon Undead spells are approved, then I'd much rather take those.

stonegod said:
Similar to the kinetic power control body. Duration should be concentration (with a max) since that is what the caster is doing. Otherwise, seems similar (though I'd change it to fort save, not well, as you are controlling the body it sounds like, not manipulating the will).

I'll take a look at the control body power then. I thought it should be Fort at first as well, but I was shooting for something that would work on corporeal undead as well. Wouldn't giving it a Fort save make them immune?

Thanks for the input!

IcyCool

First Post
Bront said:
Doesn't seem to bad at first glace. Researching spells will cost craft points though, just so you are aware. We're still porting over the craft point revised rules.

No problem, as it stands I don't have him having used any of his craft points as of yet, and the only item I'm planning on him crafting is an Aureon's Spellshard at some point (unless he can find one). What are the costs in craft point associated with spell research? Can you link me to it?

Bront

The man with the probe
I think it's burried in the Rules and Mechanics thread in LEW. I'm not 100% sure they made it in there though.

I believe it's probably similar equal to the normal GP/CP ratio (10 GP of crafting costs 1 CP), and research I believe is 1000*spell level^2 (I'm talking off the top of my head on that one though)

Edit: Correction, page 198 DMG, 1000 per week, 1 week per spell level. You would have to also pay the appropriate CP and GP costs of researching I believe, unless the system in LEW somehow adjusted this.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Bront said:
I believe it's probably similar equal to the normal GP/CP ratio (10 GP of crafting costs 1 CP), and research I believe is 1000*spell level^2 (I'm talking off the top of my head on that one though)

1000 craft points to research a 1st level spell? That's horrifyingly expensive (A third level character that hasn't spent any craft points has 900).

Ferrix

Explorer
From the DMG, it takes 1000 gp per week to research a spell, and 1 week per spell level. And it requires a Spellcraft check each week.

So thankfully, it's not 1000gp * spell level ^2, it's only 1000gp * spell level.

Remove ads