Cutlass

DerHauptman

First Post
We need the cutlass for the piratey types.

Cutlass 20 gp (small) 1d4 (medium)1d6 18-20/×2 — 2 lb. Slashing

Its not listed in the SRD so unless the mighty ones (Make it so numbers 1-13! Please.) say yes I can't call my rapier a cutlass.

Its a semantic thing perhaps, but according to LEW rules I can't call it that unless we add it to the acceptable weapons list via proposal.

NO haggling over damage, sizes etc. It exists in lots of settings and books with those stats.

The only change would be to change the damage type to slashing from piercing. (also highlighted in yellow above in stats for easy reference)

Last edited by a moderator:

B4cchus

Explorer
Just a couple of blanks:
Would that be a (light?) martial weapon?
What profiency rules would it fall under (e.g. can a rogue use it)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
B4cchus said:
Just a couple of blanks:
It would be a non-light finessable martial weapon, just the same as a rapier that slashes. Looks good to me.

BigB

First Post
B4cchus said:
Just a couple of blanks:

I would like to see this added to the rogue class proficiency, even if you had to choose either cutlass or rapier. Just think it would fit a rogue type pirate character.

SlagMortar

First Post
This is strictly better than the scimitar, since the stats are exactly the same, but it is finessible. That doesn't necessarily mean it is overpowered, it may mean the scimitar is underpowered, and even if it is overpowered, it is only by a tiny, tiny amount. I would suggest that it can not be used two-handed to gain any benefit such as 1.5 x Str, 2:1 power attack ratio, bonus to disarm, etc.

Does weapon focus (cutlass) count for getting into the Dervish prestige class since the weapons are similar?

Edit: And I second that it should be added to the rogue list.

Velmont

First Post
What is the difference with the Scimitar? Finesse can be apply to it? That bugging me a bit as generally, weapon in the SRD, weapon have more obvious difference than somthing that subtle...

But flavor wise, it seems pretty fine with me, and it isn't like the scimitar will dissapear because of the cutlass. Druids and Sairundanis will always favor the scimitar over the cutlass.

Seems fine with me.

Velmont

First Post
SlagMortar said:
Does weapon focus (cutlass) count for getting into the Dervish prestige class since the weapons are similar?

I would say no as even if stat wise, they are similar, flavor wise, it is not the same. The cutlass is a weapon of teh sea, scimitar is a weapon of the desert. I must even say it is the cost of the PrC to have to endure a not finessable weapon as your main weapon until you reach the first level of the PrC and the scimitar become a light weapon (and thus, finessable).

Also, I forgot, it should added to the rogue weapon.

Pbartender

First Post
DerHauptman said:
We need the cutlass for the piratey types.

Do we really? Need it be a new weapon?

Is there any reason you couldn't use kukris, shortswords, scimitars and/or longswords, and just give them an appropriately pirate-y description in-game?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
DerHauptman said:
...I can't call my rapier a cutlass.

Its a semantic thing perhaps, but according to LEW rules I can't call it that unless we add it to the acceptable weapons list via proposal.
... Really? Where does it say that? What's the rationale behind the rule?

Velmont

First Post
I've made a search on the cutlass on google. Most picture are looking like an hybrid between the rapier and the scimitar, so I would see it a a thin blade scimitar or a large blade rapier, and you could use either of these and call it a cutlass.

Remove ads