Cutlass

Pbartender

First Post
This...

Patlin said:
It would definitely be OK to use the stats for a similar sword (rapier, scimitar, or even short sword) and refer to it in character as a cutlass. D&D uses predominantly generic names for swords for the sake of simplicity. In fact, the DMG makes it clear that a Katana is a Bastard Sword in D&D terms.

...and this...

orsal said:
Well, if I understand correctly you want it to be like a rapier, only slashing instead of piercing. That means it's not mechanically the same as a rapier -- almost, but not quite. Is this distinction important to you? If not, take a rapier, call it a cutlass for fluff purposes but a rapier for crunch purposes.

On the other hand, if it is important to you that it be a slashing weapon -- is there any SRD weapon whose stats, taken in toto, would agree with what you want your cutlass to be? If so, take that weapon. For fluff purposes, you call it a cutlass, but for crunch, call it whatever SRD weapon you're using.

Pretty much sum up my opinions very concisely.

I'm not overtly opposed to the Cutlass, and wouldn't be bothered by it's inclusion.

But at the same time, I don't really think it's necessary -- it could just as easily be modeled by using a type of sword or knife that's already in the SRD, and describing it a little differently.

IcyCool

First Post
Pbartender said:
But at the same time, I don't really think it's necessary -- it could just as easily be modeled by using a type of sword or knife that's already in the SRD, and describing it a little differently.

Well, the Shortscythe, Halfscythe, and Goblin Ranseur weren't necessary either. They were added for flavor purposes. So is the Cutlass. I don't really see what the objection is here.

Patlin

Explorer
IcyCool said:
Well, the Shortscythe, Halfscythe, and Goblin Ranseur weren't necessary either. They were added for flavor purposes. So is the Cutlass. I don't really see what the objection is here.

If I actually objected, I'd have voted no. I'm holding off on doing that. My ambivalence is basically the same as what Pbartender explained above.

One of the things I try to hold onto in my voting philosophy is to avoid unnecessary rules. I feel that too many custom rules presents a barrier to new players wanting to join ENWorld. For that reason, I like to see some explanation as to why a new rule would add to the experience here.

So, why not write down rapier on the character sheet and add a note? "Note: My character refers to his rapier as a cutlass" would seem to do it. You also wouldn't be out of luck if you found a magic rapier, and other players using rapier wouldn't be out of luck if they found a "cutlass."

Pbartender

First Post
IcyCool said:

To be completely honest, I felt the same way about those... Not really necessary, but no real harm if the stats are appropriate.

I'm not necessarily objecting, just expressing my indifference. I don't see this proposal making a real big impact on LEW, so I'm fine with it either way.

As far as the proposal goes, I'm not likely to vote either for or against it. Consider my vote the same as that of the majority.

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI

Stormwrack has a Cutlass in it. It's a light martial weapon, 1d6 19-20/x2 15 gold 3lb slashing.
It's also grants a bonus vs being disarmed.

I think I like ours better though. and currently it's 1 yes, and 0 no

Pbartender

First Post
Bront said:
FYI

Stormwrack has a Cutlass in it. It's a light martial weapon, 1d6 19-20/x2 15 gold 3lb slashing.
It's also grants a bonus vs being disarmed.

For comparison...

The Skull & Bones cutlass is a medum (one-handed) martial weapon, 1d6 18-20/x2, 2 lb., slashing, 3 pieces of eight (2 gp 4 sp). No "special" abilities...

"This is a short, heavy curved blade, possibly derived from the buccaneers' long hunting knife. It has been adopted by naval forces across the world, from naval marines to pirates to merchants. This is because the cutlassis almost as powerful as a broadsword, but does not get tangled in the rigging when fighting on deck or bashed into beams overhead when fighting below decks."

Bront

The man with the probe
Patlin said:
So on top of my other concerns, Bront, this would be actively inconsistent with some official material? I vote NO.
Perhaps, but as PBartender says, there are other sources that list it differently.

I'm sure you can find a different half-scythe as well.

Stormwrack isn't official in LEW because we've said it isn't, so we can make it how we want to.

Remove ads