• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4e is pure win and I'll tell you why...

…Not on a full stomach.

Errrr... I've got to say, I've seen plenty of attractive gamer gals, and plenty of unattractive gamer guys. I'm not sure what your point is exactly, unless it's "I like rpgs to be a 'guy's club' and women shouldn't bother trying to join".

As for the OP's post:
I'm glad it's working out for you. It can be fun when the Significant Other is interested in sharing the hobby with you.

CodexofRome

First Post
I've been able to bring in five non-gamers and one lapsed AD&D gamer into a 4th edition campaign, and they've enjoyed themselves and understand the game.

I made this effort because 4th edition interested me, but the result can't be denied... six more claimed for the Land of RPGs.

At this point, I could easily move them to 3.5/Pathfinder, or World of Darkness, or something else at this point.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Errrr... I've got to say, I've seen plenty of attractive gamer gals, and plenty of unattractive gamer guys.

No need to type "Errrr" you can just think it. I'm not talking about "gamers" I'm talking about people who play D&D specifically.

Look, I'm sure they're out there, these elusive hot female D&D enthusiasts; I've just yet to see or meet one – hopefully one day!

Darkwolf71

First Post
Anyway, the future Mrs. Wolf will be trying her first D&D game this weekend. She may never play again, but she is at least willing and even looking forward to see what it is we do on Saturdays.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Anyway, the future Mrs. Wolf will be trying her first D&D game this weekend. She may never play again, but she is at least willing and even looking forward to see what it is we do on Saturdays.

Right on, my old lady has seen what we do on our fortnightly geek patrol, but has absolutely no desire to join in.

I hope your other half enjoys it and all goes well!

Your situation is similar to mine, 3.5 seemed too complicated to her also.

Give it 5 years and the 4E rules bloat will be just as bad, if not worse, than 3E.

I find it amusing how people gloat how simple 4E is (although I've found there's a lot of people who say otherwise), when the exact same thing was being said when 3E came out. One of the things I loved about 3E was that it greatly simplified the game. In the beginning. Then the supplements started pouring in and before you know it the game is a nightmare to play.

4E will be the exact same way.

bramadan

First Post
I usually do not wade into this kind of a thread but exactly same thing that OP describes happened to me.

My girl tried DnD 3 once (before I burned out on it) and decided that RP games are not for her. She later tried WHFRP and decided that maybe from time to time she can be convinced to play. With 4ed she spends altogether too much time optimizing her character, making plans and talking to other party members about tactics and overall strategy. As they are closing onto the 4th level she is even starting to dig the story and role-play a little.

She is even joining me and our friend for all sorts of RPGA LFG games at GenCon.

And yes, she is a masterful board-gamer and used to be quite an avid WoW fan.

Even if I did not love 4ed (which I do) this conversion alone would have been worth the edition switch.

Barastrondo

First Post
…Plus, have you seen the women who play this game voluntarily…?

Married one of them. And I must say, having lived with a woman who plays D&D (among others) voluntarily and having lived with guys who played D&D (among others) voluntarily, the woman has proven to be an exponentially superior roommate and conversationalist.

She likes 4e, too. Of course, she was fond enough of 3rd, but these days it's all "I don't want to go back. You can't make me."

Give it 5 years and the 4E rules bloat will be just as bad, if not worse, than 3E.

I find it amusing how people gloat how simple 4E is (although I've found there's a lot of people who say otherwise), when the exact same thing was being said when 3E came out. One of the things I loved about 3E was that it greatly simplified the game. In the beginning. Then the supplements started pouring in and before you know it the game is a nightmare to play.

4E will be the exact same way.

Sure there will be more options. Sure it will be difficult to know them all. Sure there will be some broken combinations.
But that doesn't have to do with the "simplicity" of 4E.

The simplicity can be better seen when performing these comparisons:
1) Try to create an adventure for 11th level 3E PCs. Compare that to an adventure for 16th level 4E PCs.

2) Run a fairly complex encounter for 4 11th level 3E PCs. (Lots of opponent, maybe one or two enemy spellcasters among them). Run a fairly complex encounter for 4 16th level 4E PCs. (Lots of Opponents, with a mix of Skirmishers, Lurkers, Brutes, Soldiers, Controllers and Artillery Monsters, or some Minions).

Remove ads