D&D 5E [D&D 5e] It's a Brand New World [FULL]

industrygothica

Adventurer
I wasn't saying the pirate HQ would be in Umbra's lands. They would be on the south shores of Island #2 (opposite side of the island from where it's marked Foghollow (that pathfinderq1 wants to rename Silverport). So the pirates are on a whole other island, but they prey on boat traffic between the 3 main islands. Count Umbra would be a villainous sort that hides his evil side in polite society and poo poo's the 'criminal scum' in public while secretly being part of both the Thieves Guild and the Pirates. Think of Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels. Has most people totally fooled that he's an upstanding citizen while he enjoys slumming with the pirates in an alternate identity. His pirate ship, The Bloody Wake, would never sail into Heartbreak Cove and moor at his private docks. He want's to keep those two identities far apart as possible.

I think the pirates are a problem for everyone, not just Kingsport. But maybe they're too firmly entrenched for anything beyond a united effort by most major governments from all the islands to actually defeat. So they are dealt with piecemeal and various countries offer bounties or Letters of Marque to make interested ships officially sanctioned pirate hunters. With so much ocean around, I can't help but think naval travel and shipping have got to be huge. This would always invite naval based criminals (namely pirates) to prey on them unless they are chased out of an area or the government pays for heavy patrols. So the area close to Kingsport is probably heavily patroled, but nobody can project enough naval power to cover all the shipping lanes. Unless they send guard ships with every convoy, which gets expensive fast.

I can live with that. I need to open up a waterway on the other side of the Central Marches map, and I'll open up your Heartbreak Cove at the same time.

-IG

Phoenix8008

First Post
How about this?

T5WzsG8.png

industrygothica

Adventurer
[MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION] - I'm digging the idea of Silverport. I've had an idea about a race of nomadic, gypsy-like elves called Khovari, and this seems like it would be a good place for their origins. I don't know if the Khovari are the original bloodline of the area, or if maybe they were exiled because of their mixed heritage (making them technically half-elves). In either care, a Khovari probably wouldn't be caught dead in Silverport now even after these millennia. Thoughts?

For future inquiries, Khovari (at least for now) are not a playable race.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Also, unless it's important, can we change the name on Isle #2 from Shahara to something else? I keep seeing it and first thinking Shanhara (like the book series) then correcting myself and thinking it's Sahara, like the desert in Africa, before forcing myself to mentally pronounce it right. Not massively important, but an annoyance for me personally. If it doesn't bother anyone else though, I'll be happy to never mention it again.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Also, unless it's important, can we change the name on Isle #2 from Shahara to something else? I keep seeing it and first thinking Shanhara (like the book series) then correcting myself and thinking it's Sahara, like the desert in Africa, before forcing myself to mentally pronounce it right. Not massively important, but an annoyance for me personally. If it doesn't bother anyone else though, I'll be happy to never mention it again.

I don't mind changing it one bit. Any suggestions?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I don't mind changing it one bit. Any suggestions?

Once this island was home to the Eternal Kingdom, and it was called Tour Lendell. Over the centuries, this has been corrupted to Torlind. (Its eponymous patron, St. Torlind, has only recently begun to receive cult worship. There are no clerics who receive his favour, but fervent believers continue to pray.)

industrygothica

Adventurer
In the history that [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION] posted about the continent (or island, or both...), it was originally called Kishalunarial, or The Shining Island. I think that we should either (a.) stick to a variation of that name or (b.) go the complete opposite, since it was anything but shining after the eruption, and emphasize emptiness and desolation that occurred after the catastrophe.

Phoenix8008

First Post
In the history that [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION] posted about the continent (or island, or both...), it was originally called Kishalunarial, or The Shining Island. I think that we should either (a.) stick to a variation of that name or (b.) go the complete opposite, since it was anything but shining after the eruption, and emphasize emptiness and desolation that occurred after the catastrophe.

Maybe just shorten it to 'Unarial' or something. In slang, people stopped referring to it as 'Shining' but left the rest of it, so it's just 'The Island' in elvish? Or put some negatory prefix in front of it like 'Na-Kishalunarial' to mean 'NOT the Shining Island'? That makes it longer and more complicated though.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. I need a haunted forest. Hard to tell from the map where the major forests are. Are they the green areas, or are those more fertile plains?

industrygothica

Adventurer
On the world map, green is green... make of it what you will. There is an area that is more green than others on the northeastern edge of the Central Marches, and in fact makes up the border of that area. Maybe that's why it's a border.. people are just too scared to cross it?

-IG

Remove ads