[D&D 5E] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr (IC)

Forged Fury

First Post
When Brue picked up the maul, a slight thrum of power flowed through her. Clearly, the weapon was magical in some way. Inspecting it closer, she noted the maul appeared to have been chiseled and polished from a single piece of stone, likely granite given the heft and color. In place of a leather handgrip, the stone had been carefully pocked and hatched, the fine edges creating a sturdy grip.

Admiring the weapon, she reluctantly set it aside to pick up the scroll case. In the background she could hear her companions speaking to the injured elf. Flipping open the case, she noticed a scroll resting within the container. At the sight of the fine script and illuminated images in the margins, a barrage of memories flashed through her mind: her bowing before an elf seated on a throne, a group of elves as well as the genasi seated around a naturally grown wooden table, and finally a slight hand signing a document, rolling it up, and handing it to her. Shaking her head cleared the images, but she was certain the scroll in her hand was the treaty signed by the elves of the Wealdath.

As Lorenzo relayed the score to the elf, the frightened man cringed even deeper. "But there were more than three of them!" Trying to calm himself, he continued, "Thanks for rescuing me before I was eaten, but can we please leave before the ogres come back and get back to Port Kir?"

Gnorth seconded the leaving suggestion. Killing ogres always made him hungry and dismembered humans always had a habit of ruining that. He pats the elf on the back, somewhat rougher than he likely intended to, and smiles a big toothy grin.

"Hungry myself. I have the means, let me have you for dinner!"

Throwing his hands up in disgust, Gnorth storms out of the cavern.

"I just wanted to have him for dinner. Polite thing to do. Good luck to, eating elves in your home. Everyone has a good time. Tell stories, maybe have wine if brought, make music...." His voice trailed off as he left the cave.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Lorenzo smiles wryly and shrugs at the elf.

"You'll have to excuse Gnorth, his grasp of the language isn't the best. I'm sure he meant to offer to share food with you. Not to devour you. Well ... I'm reasonably sure."

Brue longed to pick the maul back up. It called to her, its song boiling in her blood. She knew she'd have to return it, that someone somewhere would be looking for so fine an instrument of war, but consoled herself that perhaps the others wouldn't object if she carried and used it until they returned to Port Kir. So strong was the maul's pull that she nearly went to it, foregoing her duty to tell the others of the secret she'd unearthed with the scroll tube.

Ever dutiful, Brue ripped her eyes from the maul. She grabbed Boddynock by the forearm and tugged him closer, resisting the urge to shudder in repulsion at the feel of his wiry forearm. She whispered, enjoying when the gnome shuddered at the awfulness of her low voice in his ear, "It's the treaty. It was here!" Brue let the end of the scroll tube peek out at Boddynock for emphasis. She let go of his arm, tucking the scroll tube beneath the breast plate of her mail for safekeeping.

Spying Corilo, Brue left Boddynock and went over to him. She tilted her head in the direction of the maul, the scales, and the other items. "The maul's magic, I could feel it. Might want to check the other things." She spared a glance in the direction of Gnorth, Lorenzo, and the elf, then shook her head in regret. "Oi!" she called, loudly. "You're scaring our friend, Gnorth!" Brue moved to the cave mouth and had a look outside. The elf had mentioned "more ogres."

Gnorth, kicking rocks out towards the water like a chastised child, looks back over towards his companions.

"Somewhere safe the elf needs to be. Information would be good to get from their kin on their return. Can't risk letting them get lost to the winds, but can't risk an innocent being harmed."

Brue moved to exit the cave. She couldn't quite do it. The maul. It called to her. She darted back inside, grabbed the maul, and immediately felt simultaneously guilty and relieved to once again have the wondrous item in her grasp. The genasi tried to shake the feeling that she was committing a wrong with her covetousness. She edged back outside and joined the others, keeping a sharp eye out for intruders. After a bit, she sheathed her greatsword at her back, telling herself she'd use the maul just for a little bit, to test its properties.

Perception [roll0]

Olrox17

Hero
With more ogres possibly around, Corilo was getting nervous. "Well then, are we going to leave this place? If so, we should load all this loot on the cart and be on our way" he checked out Brue's new maul "Found something special, Brue?".

OOC: Being an expert artisan and smith, Corilo analyzes the maul's craftsmanship in detail.

Last edited:

Brue nodded at Corilo and handed him the maul. "Fine workmanship like that, someone'll be wanting it returned, I'm sure. 'Til then, though, thought it might come in handy. Maybe give it a whirl, let the others see if they like it?" She waited while Corilo examined the maul.

Remove ads