D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

was

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

Good opening offer. Provides more than enough information for players to create unique characters and to run an introductory adventure.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

I used to bat on about how cool it was to be able to buy the whole rules to the Savage Worlds game for $20 (Australian). Well, here is a complete game for free. And a dam good game at that. I love this chasis upon which you can easily build. Best thing about 5E to me so far is how easy it is to adapt and write for.This free set of rules allowed my to get a roleplaying group up and running at the school where I work. We have 8 characters (many shared b/w 2 players) and they were all created with the Basic Rules only. Even without the Archetypes, there is enough in here to make the fighters different from one another.Obviously, I prefer the options of the PHB, but this was a great introduction...and FREE!

Buy the Starter Set ($12 on Amazon) as a gift for any gamer that could possibly be interested in tabletop RPGs. Include a printout of the free Basic D&D player and DM PDFs and you've likely set them down a path of a lifetime of gaming.

Mica Fetz

Explorer

WotC hasn't said much about an OGL or GSL yet. However, the basic version of the game, the skeleton of it, if you will, is free for download at the WotC website. The system plays like other d20 games, streamlined, somewhat, a few new mechanics alter the feel of the game (Backgrounds and Advantage/Disadvantage for example). Overall, it's a great game system and I'm really enjoying my time behind the screen. Highly customizable and easily Hacked. Enjoy!!

bragarfull

First Post

Perfect for those who are limited on their budget and cannot afford the actual 3 core books. They can still play the "basic" of the new version and hombrew away.

Boiled down to the essence of a ‘4x4’ list of Races and Classes and an abbreviated list of Monsters, but this is fully playable game. The rules are my favourite version of D&D (in conjunction with the Core books), so I have little to say that’s negative. I understand that giving it away means no art, however, but an actual cover would have been nice…

Kaychsea

Explorer

The bulk of the rules of the game, it's free and updates as new material comes out.

3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

The game is pretty good, I feel missing out on the warlord and being a bit overdone for spell casters is a big step back though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

There's not much to say about the D&D Basic Rules. A complete game, for free. You get four classes and four races going from levels 1-10, and the rules of the game. If you're not sure whether D&D 5E is for you, this is the way to find out. It's no substitute for the complete PHB/MM/DMG core set, and doesn't fill the role that the Starter Set does, so I'm not actually completely sure what its purpose it -- but I'm not complaining. When somebody gives me something for free, I don't demand to know why! It's free. Go download it now.

Remove ads