D&D for 2: The Deep Calling OOC thread

Bront

The man with the probe
Cool, I'll flip through it tonight.

Here, use this as a template for your sheet. It will help. I usually have to tweek it slightly, but it depends on the character. Use Notepad to edit it, and the code block should keep everything nice and lined up.

Blank Character Form

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI, I'm going to change the name of this thread eventualy. You should stil be able to find it, but just warning you ahead of time.

I suggest subscribing, and either getting e-mail alerts, or just browsing your subscribed threads from the top menu.

Aquatica

First Post
My character

Appearance

Tia’ala represents sheer beauty and elegance but has an element of mystery about her. Anyone who crosses her path is either instantly drawn to her presence or finds her intimidating and tend to keep their distance.
She stands at 5’8 inches high and in slender in build but has curves which make her profile very feminine.
Her hair is tousled waves of emerald green which cascades down to the arch of her back and as it catches the light it shimmers with hints of teal and gold.
Her eyes are midnight blue set in almond shape and appear so deep blue they can almost be mistaken for black which to on lookers can seem eerie.
Tia’ala’s skin is a pale sea green colour which glistens two tone revealing shades of silver. It is smooth to touch and hairless which makes her more agile in water and an excellent swimmer.
Around her neck she wears a necklace of kelp string attached to a tiger striped seashell and holds the shell to her ear when she travels far inland and misses the sounds of the sea.
Around her leg she wears an anklet with trinkets of rare coral pieces from the sea of fallen stars which was a gift from her mother.
She wears a light flowing aquamarine dress which is tattered at the bottom and often prefers to walk barefooted. Attached to the straps of her dress drapes a velvet embroidered cloak with gold symbols of Deep Sashelas, the lord of the undersea emblazoned upon it. Being a favored soul she is a dedicated servant to the god and holds this as one of her prize possessions.

Background

Tia’ala’s father (Oscar) was of human race and was a poor individual who made his living by diving for trinkets and pearls and trading or selling his finds for a profit.
He lived in a small fishing village situated on the coast of the Sea of fallen stars and ventured out to sea each day diving in lagoons and shallow coves for any valuable items he could find.
One day diving for pearls he discovered a short sword without its sheath glistening amongst the seabed under some seaweed. Retrieving it and sitting on some nearby rocks he tried to wield the sword he was amazed to find it began to speak to him.
It told him that it could not be used to strike any object or person only by its owner who was an Aquatic elf (Miriel), who was frantically searching for it.
Beneath the ocean Miriel was searching for her sword which was a family heirloom dating back generations, she saw a reflection of a man perched on the rocks above dangling his legs in the water and although wary, decided to ask his assistance.
Upon submersion she discovered the stranger had her sword and after much debating and bartering they agree on a trade of 3 bags of pearls and a coral bracelet Miriel was wearing for the return of her sword.
The two were intrigued and attracted by their meeting and after many encounters they fell in love and Miriel became pregnant.
Due to Miriel being an aquatic elf and rarely liking to venture out of water and knowing her child would be merkin and would not be able to breath under water indefinitely she made the hard decision to let her child go with her father to live on land and Oscar made sure Tia’ala had her mothers coral bracelet to symbolize her parents love and where she came from.
She grew up in her father’s village and learnt her father’s trade, being an excellent swimmer and being able to stay under water four times longer than her father she was able to make them a healthy profit from her findings and the two became very wealthy as a result.
Tia’ala still saw her mother regularly whilst diving but Oscar made the decision as a result of their new found wealth to move away from the village into a more lavish aboad. Very reluctantly Tia’ala went with her father as he was her primary guardian and felt it was her duty to him. She let her love of the sea fill the gap for her need to belong and always wonders about her mother and her existence. Apart from brief visits, her father’s memories and tales, and her coral bracelet that’s all she has of her mother and she felt a stranger to her heritage.
They both settled in Phlan on the edge of The Moonsea until her father past away from old age whilst sleeping in his quarters. She regularly made trips along the Phlan path to nearby towns and villages selling the goods her and her father had collected over the years as well as Knucklehead trout she caught locally.

As a merkin Tia’ala always felt she never belonged to either of the elements of her life that made her who she was. After her father died this feeling was never more apparent. Living on her own in the life of a human and not being physically adapted to live with her mother she decided that she would be dedicated follower to the life she could never live. Her mother once told her about the day she was born there was a violent hurricane which had torn up the coastline for the previous three days up until her birth. The moment Tia’ala was born the storm began to die down and Miriel had always believed that this was a divine sign that her daughter was destined for greatness. Tia’ala wasn’t 100% certain of this but took great comfort in the concept. She always knew she had special abilities as she was able to heal grazes she received underwater from catching her legs on coral and on her hands from tying kelp string fish nets. She seemed to have control over certain people in different situations and with a single demand could get them to do whatever she asked.
Tia’ala felt the presence of Deep Sashelas in her day to day life and regularly prayed to him and tried to set an example as any dedicated follower should.

Bront

The man with the probe
I like it.

I have no information on Deep Sashelas, can you give me some?

Place names may need to change, though I can just reuse the names. Remember, I don't know much about FR, so we'll be a bit more generic as far as places go.

I have no information on the racial abilities of a half-aquatic elf. Obviously, that would help.

Character Creation:

Stats as listed above. (Pick one set)
Level 1 (to start, you'll advance the first one or two quickly)
Max Gold
One Heritage Item (Item from family, or aquired some how of some personal significance. I'll decide what it does, but ideas of things you want, or things written in your background will work)

If you don't mind, I think I'd like to have you RP you two meeting. I think I can orchastrate it well, it will let you delve into the character a bit more, and I can get a bit more direction for where to take you from there.

Feel free to post in progress character sheets, and if you want any suggestions for feats, skills, or anything like that, I'm always up for helping there.

Aquatica

First Post
Racial abilitiesMedium Size
Base Speed 30 feet.
Swim 30 feet

Gills (Mer-kin have greater tolerance for leaving water than their aquatic parent, but need to return within 4 hours/point of CON (after that, refer to the suffocation rules on page 88 in the DMG).

Immunity to Sleep spells and similar magical effects
+2 racial saving throw bonus against Enchantment spells or effects.

Low-Light Vision: Mer-kin see three times as far as a human does in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish colors even then, and in better illumination, often have superior color vision to most humans, being able to distinguish more shades of colors than most, just as their aquatic elven parent can. Mer-kin and elves get a -1 bonus to the DC of spotting forgeries and artistic frauds because of this heightened color sense.

NOTE: Most aquatic societies live in shallow water, usually less than 50 feet deep, and often less than 20 feet deep and near shore. Below 50 feet, sunlight is often totally blocked. Members of such races also cannot go too deep, despite being able to breath water, and often may only go about 50 feet deeper than a human before problems of water pressure make traveling even deeper problematic.

+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot Check rolls (though they do not have their elven parent's ability to notice secret doors as well).

+2 racial bonus on Listen checks if they are in water, as sound travels better in water.

Aquatic Elven Blood. That is, spells and magic items that affect aquatic elves with also affect Mer-kin.

Deep Sashelas
Deep Sashelas is the Lord of the Undersea and the patron of sea elves, whom he created long ago by modifying Corellon's land-bound creations. Sashelas is a powerfully creative deity who is forever changing the environments below the sea, creating islands and reefs by altering the continental rifts, tinkering with undersea volcanoes, and the like. He is said said to create the deep undersea caverns that the sea elves can use for air-breathing when they wish. Sashelas is also known as the Knowledgeable One, for he provides advice as to where food can be found or the enemies are hidden. The sea elves also claim that Deep Sashelas is the auther of the Chambeeleon, a resplendent spell tome held in the royal vaults of Thunderfoam an age ago but since lost. Followers of other aquatic gods make similar claims.
Deep Sashelas is a member of the Seldarine and remains on good terms with the other elven deities, but he directs most of his efforts towards maintaining an alliance of nonhuman sea powers known as the asathalfinare. While he does not explicitly lead the group, the Lord of the Undersea occupies a pivotal role and mediates many potential conflicts and disagreements. Other members of the asathalfinare include Trishina, the dolphin goddess (who is Sashelas's consort), Surminare, goddess of the selkies, Syranita, goddess of the aarakocra (whose membership is somewhat of an anomoly), Persana, god of the tritons, Eadro, leader of the merfolk and locathah, and the enigmatic Water Lion.
The Lord of the Undersea opposes the machinations of all evil powers of the seas, including Abyssal lords such as Demogorgon and Dagon, as well as those whose followers long ago retreated to the underdark, such as Blibdoolpoolp. Sashelas has a special emnity for Sekolah the Great Shark, the sahuagin god, and for Panzuriel the Enslaver, a dark power worshiped by kraken and other sentient, evil denizens of the ocean depths. The Lord of the Undersea helped banish and weaken Panzuriel long ago. Sashelas respects Panzuriel's growing power, and the Lord of the Undersea considers carefully what steps can be taken to restrain and bind that evil power of the sea bed. Likewise, Sashelas works to contain the evil of the human sea goddess Umberlee, and of late has lent his aid to the human god of sailors, Valkur, as a natural counterweight to Umberlee's burgeoning influence over the seas of Abeir-Toril.
The Lord of the Undersea is a charismatic leader and an inspired creator whose art is everchanging. Unlike the other Seldarine, Deep Sashelas is rarely satisfied with whathe's done nad always seeks to improve it. Deep Sashelas can be fickle and flighty, and there are many myths that involve his amorous exploits with such creatures as mermaids, selkies, mortal sea elven maids, human females, and even one demigoddess, it is rumored. Trisina has some tolerance for such straying, but not too much. Sashelas's fellow Seldarine derive great amusement from Trisina's ability to spot Sashelas's wandering attentions and stymie him, usually by warning off the object of his desire.
Deep Sashelas is very active on Abeir-Toril. His avatars often terraform the undersea environment, although he does not undertake such actions without first consulting other deities with an interest in such matters. He does not overinvolve himself by dispatching avatars to help sea elves in battles, but he will do so if he scents any involvement by Sekolah, and his avatars keep a watchful eye on any unexplained activities that might involve Panzuriel (unusually organized raids by merrow or koalinths, for example). His avatar is 50% likely to be accompanied by an avatar of Trishina unless the avatar has been sent to woo or seduce some pretty female who has attracted his eye. Rarely the avatar may accompany an avatar of another member of the asathalfinare.

Will pick stats and let you know today
-SJ

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, thanks. So you're somewhat waterbound. That's good to note.

Mind if I make a slight change/suggestion?
Instead of feeling close to Deep Sashelas, you've felt the draw to the sea and a connection to it well beyond your merfolk/aquatic elf roots. Use any appropriate stats for Deep Sashelas (Favored weapon, domain lists), but you don't exactly know that that's what your connection is. It's up to you, but the sense of mystery will give me aspects to pull, and I don't see it changing her much, other than perhaps drawing her out to see, near her roots.

Is it all right if I make the Coral bracelet your heritage item? It seems appropriate and I think I can give it an interesting aspect (Trying to figure out exactly what's needed for it).

Not sure on what to give Jericho, so I'd welcome any suggestions.

Bront

The man with the probe
Oh, minor thing. I'm not going to worry about items getting wet too much, but you might want to buy some kind of waterproof container of some kind (costs double).

Remove ads