• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D is so METAL

Asmor

First Post
As someone who could probably pass as a metalhead to non-metalheads, I don't mind the cookie monster comparison at all. It's rather apt, actually.

And C is for Cookie could make an awesome death metal song... Of course, we're talking old school cookie monster here. Compare (and remember to read them in a cookie monster (or growl, if you prefer) voice in your head):

C IS FOR COOKIE!
THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

with

C IS FOR COOKIE!
A SOMETIMES FOOD!

Yeah, that second one definitely don't work.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Asmor said:
As someone who could probably pass as a metalhead to non-metalheads, I don't mind the cookie monster comparison at all. It's rather apt, actually.

And C is for Cookie could make an awesome death metal song... Of course, we're talking old school cookie monster here. Compare (and remember to read them in a cookie monster (or growl, if you prefer) voice in your head):

C IS FOR COOKIE!
THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

with

C IS FOR COOKIE!
A SOMETIMES FOOD!

Yeah, that second one definitely don't work.

"C for Cookie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9rzMaAucI4

Thurbane

First Post
Bands by class (and PrC)

Barbarian - Manowar
Bard - Kings X
Cleric - Candlemass (or Armored Saint)
Druid - (?)
Favored Soul - Judas Priest
Fighter - Slayer
Monk - Loudness
Paladin - Stryper :p
Ranger - Nightranger (?)
Rogue - (?)
Sorcerer - (?)
Warlock - Black Sabbath
Wizard - Grand Magus

-----

Frenzied Berserker - Rage
Dread Pirate - Running Wild

...feel free to add and update the list...

Thurbane

First Post
caex said:
Also, to that one guy, as a metalhead, I am tired (as are most metalheads) of the old, lame "cookie monster" crap that people use to describe growling.
Oh come on now, as a metalhead of 20+ years, I can totally see and accept the cookie monster analogy. I'm not much of a death metal or grindcore fan myself (more of a thrash, power metal and stoner metal fan), but I do like Sepultura and Fear Factory.

There was a point where the grindcore and black metal fans would look down their nose at the rest of us for not being "extreme" enough - if they had to face the fact that their beloved grunters sounded like a certain blue fuzzy muppet, so be it. :p

Asmor

First Post
Thurbane said:
Barbarian - Manowar
Bard - Kings X
Cleric - Candlemass (or Armored Saint)
Druid - (?)
Favored Soul - Judas Priest
Fighter - Slayer
Monk - Loudness
Paladin - Stryper :p
Ranger - Nightranger (?)
Rogue - (?)
Sorcerer - (?)
Warlock - Black Sabbath
Wizard - Grand Magus

-----

Frenzied Berserker - Rage
Dread Pirate - Running Wild

...feel free to add and update the list...

Sorcerer - Lords of Acid.

Most fetish-friendly band I can think of off the top of my head.

caex

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I thought "Cookie Monster" was pretty evocative; gave a good idea of what I meant and all...think of it as a shorthand.

But really, what should I call it that would make you feel OK inside?

Growling? Pass. I think of "growling" as being a low sound rather than somebody yelling as loud as they can.

Seriously man...C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me.

Judge for yourself...

Napalm Death

Cookie Monster

There is a reason the comparison keeps coming up:)

Most death metal growlers don't "yell as loud as they can", that is what most metalcore singers do.

Thurbane said:
Oh come on now, as a metalhead of 20+ years, I can totally see and accept the cookie monster analogy. I'm not much of a death metal or grindcore fan myself (more of a thrash, power metal and stoner metal fan), but I do like Sepultura and Fear Factory.

There was a point where the grindcore and black metal fans would look down their nose at the rest of us for not being "extreme" enough - if they had to face the fact that their beloved grunters sounded like a certain blue fuzzy muppet, so be it. :p

I'm sorry if I don't find amusement in an overdone, stupid thing that is mainly used by people that are uninformed about metal.

Last edited:

Remove ads