• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Random Task

Explorer
I wonder if anything changes if they played it more straight. Maybe a lot of the people who want fantasy comedy are already watching actual plays on YouTube.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To be honest, I am close to blocking you.

Mod Note:
Is that threat supposed to be persuasive? Are you supposed to be so awesome that the fact that you would decide to block someone is supposed to give them pause, or something?
Those are rhetorical questions, by the way.

The blocking function is intended as a way for you to get some control of your own experience. It is NOT intended as a weapon to pressure to get people to comply with your wishes.

If you want to block someone, by all means do so. But don't threaten people with it. Thanks.

CommodoreKong

Explorer
From a quantitative perspective, would likely involve more research than I'm willing to do. But qualitatively, it's a vanilla genre movie with a longstanding somewhat niche IP. Maybe something like Ender's Game?

Edit: though even that is a bit limited since Ender's Game as a series has specific stories to tell where D&D is more 'fantasy tropes, the tabletop roleplaying game'

Edit 2: In general I wasn't really talking about the success of the movie as much as the forecasting of likely future projects based solely on quantitative characteristics without consideration for qualitatively differences, which, to my mind, are equally if not more important.

You say 'Detective Pikachu' made xyz$ and doesn't have a sequel yet; if D&D doesn't make at least that much, it won't get a sequel either.

I say, there are a lot of reasons movies don't get made, and past financial performance is only one of them. A Detective Pikachu sequel, to me, seems a lot more difficult to put together than a D&D sequel. You couldn't confidently give Michael Bay a Detective Pikachu movie series, where I think you probably could give him D&D. (Not that I'd want this for D&D movies, but it just isn't that complicated an IP or set of concepts to work with).

At the end of the day if you feel like Ender's Game is a better comparison because of different factors it really doesn't matter, that film also never got a sequel due to poor box office performance.

The combination of this movie either loosing money or maybe eventually limping to breaking even after everything is counted, along Hasbro selling it's film production company really speaks to the chances of a sequel being made. And I hate to say it those chances aren't good. I would love to be wrong. I loved Honor Among Thieves and would love to see a sequel. But I'm just being realistic about it's chances of getting a sequel.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My expectation is us D&D nerds all went to see it. I'd be interested to see exactly what the ratio of 5e PHB's sold vs movie tickets sold is (assume $10 per ticket). And review that across markets. I have this weird feeling that it's going to be about 1:1 or maybe 2 PHBs per 1 ticket sold.

In other words, the D&D fans went and saw it; but gen pop did not. As opposed to MCU, where not just comic fans went to see it; but gen pop was on board also

It helps in comics that there are several successful "branches" of comic books in our pop culture such as Spider-man, Batman, and Superman (all other MCU properties pale in cultural cachet to those 3 - perhaps due to 60's/70's shows, perhaps other reasons)

Until there are other successful RPG fictional franchises, I don't think a D&D movie, even one done just right (which I think DADHAT is that movie) will make significant box office headway with gen pop. WotC can continue to try to push that way - but that's not really the way film/tv production works unless you have unlimited budget to burn. Hasbro does not have that - at least not at Hollywood scale

Now if you can get Stephanie Meyers, Cassandra Clare, Leigh Bardugo, Holly Black (wait - what?!), and/or Suzanne Collins - all huge YA fantasy authors - to write multiple NYT best-selling series set in/around any of the existing Hasbro IP; well maybe THEN you'd get the crowds. Especially the ever elusive tween/teen/young adult girl/woman market

(Holly Black working with her partner Tony Deterlizzi on a Planescape YA novel series?!? Yes please)

MwaO

Adventurer

Basically, if you lop out the first day, the two movies are almost exactly the same on revenue — Fantastic Beasts got an extra $5M there.
So unless something changes, we should expect D&D to get to $90M domestic. If you compare their international revenue, D&D seems to be doing about half what FB did on initial openings/going forward(this is bad), so maybe get to $110M-$130M international. That's $200-220M, so sees $100-110M of that on $150M expenses.

Zardnaar

Legend
My expectation is us D&D nerds all went to see it. I'd be interested to see exactly what the ratio of 5e PHB's sold vs movie tickets sold is (assume $10 per ticket). And review that across markets. I have this weird feeling that it's going to be about 1:1 or maybe 2 PHBs per 1 ticket sold.

In other words, the D&D fans went and saw it; but gen pop did not. As opposed to MCU, where not just comic fans went to see it; but gen pop was on board also

It helps in comics that there are several successful "branches" of comic books in our pop culture such as Spider-man, Batman, and Superman (all other MCU properties pale in cultural cachet to those 3 - perhaps due to 60's/70's shows, perhaps other reasons)

Until there are other successful RPG fictional franchises, I don't think a D&D movie, even one done just right (which I think DADHAT is that movie) will make significant box office headway with gen pop. WotC can continue to try to push that way - but that's not really the way film/tv production works unless you have unlimited budget to burn. Hasbro does not have that - at least not at Hollywood scale

Now if you can get Stephanie Meyers, Cassandra Clare, Leigh Bardugo, Holly Black (wait - what?!), and/or Suzanne Collins - all huge YA fantasy authors - to write multiple NYT best-selling series set in/around any of the existing Hasbro IP; well maybe THEN you'd get the crowds. Especially the ever elusive tween/teen/young adult girl/woman market

(Holly Black working with her partner Tony Deterlizzi on a Planescape YA novel series?!? Yes please)

Unlikely that woukd mean 10 million+ phb sold in 3 weeks.

It woukd be number 1 on Amazon and putting Harry Potter to shame.

Remove ads