D&D Movie Takes Cues From GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 18.13.08.png

There's more info in this article on Collider, but the pertinent facts are:

• The movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm.
  • The Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
  • It's an ensemble piece.
  • Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."
That last item is interesting. Different worlds? A Dragonlance or Ravenloft movie, perhaps?

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Here's what I'm curious about. Tie-in fiction. A novelization is a sure bet. Hopefully some surrounding fiction.as well (like the short stories released as e-books before The Force Awakens)

The Realms has a rich history of published fiction. So knowing that it almost certainly will exist, who will be writing it?

Ryujin

Legend
Making a movie about a role playing game in which a group of players work towards a common goal into an ensemble piece movie is a no-brainer. Script it the way that the game is played.

Now they just have to get Matt Vancil to write it, because he's done it so many times before.

devincutler

Explorer
As a movie producer and someone tangentially involved in the original piece of poop D&D movie, I can only say I see nothing good coming of adopting this tone for the film. Some humour is fine, but I fear this is going to turn into a travesty. While many at home campaigns have humour in them, the actual FR novels and the published adventures do not. I am not saying a witticism or amusing banter or scene is not warranted, but making the entire movie an "irreverent romp" is troublesome. It is far too easy to miss the mark on tone in such movies, and with Deadpool's success, the tendency is going to be to overdo it.

What a D&D movie should do is amaze with its strange creatures and ubiquity of magic...something that sets it well apart from LOTR.

dave_in_TX

First Post
I know it just may not be "doable" but I would like to see a D&D movie with people playing the game and the game was the fantasy action movie. They could jump between the players and the fantasy action using some humorous "fourth wall" interplay (think Deadpool) between the players and adventure characters.

Just sayin'
Dave_in_tx

Ryujin

Legend
I know it just may not be "doable" but I would like to see a D&D movie with people playing the game and the game was the fantasy action movie. They could jump between the players and the fantasy action using some humorous "fourth wall" interplay (think Deadpool) between the players and adventure characters.

Just sayin'
Dave_in_tx

See my previous comment about Matt Vancil (Dead Gentlemen Productions/Zombie Orpheus Entertainment; The Gamers Series), though the action isn't at Hollywood levels.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Just sayin'
Dave_in_tx

Sorry but a fourth wall crossing movie of a bunch of nerds around a table X a high fantasy realm sounds kind of painful. Maybe using the Players as a Frame to the real fantasy story might work - Anyone remember the old DnD novel where the players merge with their characters and have braclets with spinning dive in them? irc the main character is named Milo.

may be that

or the DnD Cartoon

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Ummm...what would you classify LotR as? in fact here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=liveactionfantasy.htm ;looks like a number of fantasy live action movies have been successful at the box office
Possible flukes too, but had massive budgets and marketing. Most have failed and a live action D&D movie will fail like Conan, Hercules (did make money overseas), Seventh Son, Pan. Yes, LotR and Harry did well but they did not have a history of disappointment that D&D movies have.

Tell you what, If Gods of Egypt does well, I will agree and say a live action D&D movie will work. :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Possible flukes too, but had massive budgets and marketing. Most have failed and a live action D&D movie will fail like Conan, Hercules (did make money overseas), Seventh Son, Pan. Yes, LotR and Harry did well but they did not have a history of disappointment that D&D movies have.

Tell you what, If Gods of Egypt does well, I will agree and say a live action D&D movie will work. :)

I think you're looking at the wrong definition of fail. Sure the Studios take the mega blockbuster billion dollars in opening weekend as their marker of success, but for most people who aren't working for Hollywood making a profit on international release is pretty much the thing that counts.

for instance Dragonheart only ranks 30th for opening profits in 1996, but I for one consider it a successful fantasy movie

Remove ads

Remove ads