• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next weekly art column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incenjucar

Legend
The IDW characters are a bit too generic-looking, based on the covers. It's like a party full of Regdars.

The characters need to stand out from the generic fantasy crowd to actually draw anyone's attention.

Mercutio01

First Post
The D&D comic book, written by John Rogers (who has experience writing movies and TV series like Leverage), could serve as a basis for a D&D cartoon or TV series. The important thing is to make the characters appealing. Otherwise the quests just fall flat.

As for D&D Cartoon: I disagree that it doesn't hold up well. Sure, Presto and Eric (and Uni) are a product of their times. But the same concept, re-done for this decade in a vein similar to Thundercats, would rock.
Well, I didn't say that the cartoons don't hold up well. I did say that they don't do it for me anymore, and that I think He-Man and She-Ra hold up better.

I'm also a huge fan of the remade Thundercats. Thanks for the reminder. That's another show that should be looked at for clues to how to do a new show well. I do think that just having a bunch of pre-pubescent human children magically transported to a fantasy world is not my ideal for how to do it, if Wizards does decide to greenlight a cartoon. That just doesn't strike my fancy. It seems kind of worn-out/tired. Plus, that intro through the roller coaster? Just silly.

I just popped in disc one.

Klaus

First Post
The IDW characters are a bit too generic-looking, based on the covers. It's like a party full of Regdars.

The characters need to stand out from the generic fantasy crowd to actually draw anyone's attention.
Never judge a (comic) book by the cover. Each of the characters is very unique.

Khal, the dwarf paladin, is a renowned, lovestruck poet, if a bit infamous among his people.

Bree, the halfling rogue, is a cold-blooded mercenary who wouldn't think twice before abandoning the party, if meant saving her skin.

Varis, the elf ranger, prefers cities to the woodlands.

Tisha, the tiefling warlock, is good-natured, and is exhasperated every time Bree equates her being a tiefling to having evil, necromantic powers.

Adric Fell, the human fighter, always has a plan. Of course, his plans always go wrong and he has to rely on dumb luck to keep his party alive.

The dialogue is sharp and witty, not unlike what you'd hear in Firefly.

DundD02.jpg

1674373-dnd_fell_sfive_atthebar.jpg

1674839-adric_varis_bree_orc_kissing.jpg

1674627-dwarven_work.jpg

Incenjucar

Legend
Never judge a (comic) book by the cover.

That is not how covers work.

Characters need to be distinct, especially in this sort of medium. Unique silhouettes are vital, as is being able to distinguish the character visibly from others of the same background. This is very basic stuff, especially in animated design, but also in movies. Ever wonder why cartoon characters almost always wear the same outfits every single day, or sometimes have slight variations on those? Even the Harry Potter group has very distinct visual characteristics. Glasses and Scar, Big Hair, Red Hair, etc.

Heck, half the party has the same armor.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Everybody else's column gets a new thread when it's put up. Why not this one?

I'd wager to say it is because everyone here that wants to..."debate" about this is what it should be and that is what is good need to read it.

The folks over at the "this is what I hope it isn't" thread DEFinitely need a peek at this too.

[EDIT] OH! And yes, Jon, I'm with ya on that! Again, good luck!
--SD
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
Yeah, this is more of an ongoing conversation.

And I also like that the current entry seems to talk about something we've been discussing here before. Makes us feel like we contributed something. :heh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads