• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next weekly art column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I voted for sketch #18, because the sinuous accent-line on its body gives it a dynamic elegance that appeals to me; and those stylized scales or fins break up its body outline. However, I would have preferred it if the breath-effect had been in a different darkness from the body, in order to separate those elements visually -- either outlined as in the breath-effect of sketch #7 or else empty as in the dragon-body of sketch #20.

I also really enjoyed sketch #13, because it has so much more dynamism going for it; however, it doesn't look as much like an ampersand to my eyes as many of the others do, and I would have to think about it to understand that an ampersand was intended.

Mengu

First Post
I like 2 and 8. Voted 8. Wish it was a multiple choice poll.

And I just realized... the two I like, use the same dragon head.

Mercutio01

First Post
EDIT: one of the things I like most about the 1e/2e ampersand (and numbers 7 and 18) is the implied movement of the dragon. You try to follow the dragon's body, and that eye movement imparts a dynamism to the ampersand that is somewhat lost in some of the other designs.

I can't XP you, but as steeldragon said, I think that may have played into my decisions, unintentionally, as well. And now that you point it out, I can't unsee it.

Dausuul

Legend
Voted for #18. I also like #7 and the 2E and 4E ampersands. I'm not attached to the dragon breathing fire--in fact, I quite like the "wings" alternative--but I do feel it's important for the ampersand to be immediately obvious as an ampersand. Readability comes first.

Kaodi

Hero
#7 is what I voted for. That is definitely the way to go: a clean update of the 2e logo. Fire breath is a more iconic part of "dragon" than wings. Also, nostalgia is a powerful force that should be not underestimated. A logo that is both aesthetically pleasing and nostalgic is almost certain to add more value to the product than one that is merely aesthetically pleasing.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
I WANT to like #1. I voted for it. But it looks too much like a brine shrimp.

My other likes -- #7 for nostalgia factor, but it needs to be reshaped a bit. #10 and #19, not bad, but if they could be melded somehow with #1 -- that'd be the hotness.

I believe I spotted a couple of "ringers" -- as in "if you like these, we're not counting your vote"* -- but I won't say which. :)

* This is something I do all the time myself as a professional desktop publisher, so I know it does happen.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Voted for #7, as I liked update to the 2nd ed version, with more depth. But I also liked #9, and think the 4th ed version is still great.
Both #7 and #9 need a little clean up/adjustment I think, but those would be great start points. A few others looked decent, I still like that cute sketch of a dragon in sketch #4, this would be good on younger targeted products, like below teen market stuff.

The 8bit sketch is awesome, just because, but shouldn't be a logo, unless the product is some retro 8bit/16bit style game.

Edit: additional comment, can we get some regular comics in the art style and general comedy of the one post at the top of this week's (and in previous weeks) art columns. I've been rather enjoying them..

Last edited:

Kavon

Explorer
I'd consider #7 and #18 to be basically the same one as the 2e ampersand, since they're just variations (and the ampersand would be redesigned anyway with a new D&D logo).

The 2e one was my choice, btw (with an update to fit with the new logo).
Maybe it's because I started with 2e and am most familiar with it looking like this ^^"

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I mostly played 3rd Edition, and even I think the 2nd Edition ampersand was the coolest.

I voted for #18. Not only does it harken back to the 2nd Edition and read as an ampersand, but it also only uses one color, which is good for logo design. I'm not fond of all the little spiky bits that come off it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads