• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D / WotC and GenCon

GM Drew

Explorer
So... after a disappointing NO real release info in last week's Q&A, I'm beginning to have a cast of doubt on WotC's organization of this next release of Dungeons and Dragons. We know from the Baldman Games website, that there will be a showing of WotC organized play at the convention of some sort. No clue of what kind, yet. WotC is not listed as any kind of co-sponsor for the convention. They haven't given any type of teasers for the convention.

With the mad dash of event registration just 3 weeks away, (and those of us trying to figure out what to sign up for), I'd like some sort of faith that there's going to be a solid showing for such a huge release of the rpg that started it all. Thinking it may just be safer to stay with Pathfinder...

Is anyone else concerned?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Drew it's your first post, it's a bash on Next based on not knowing enough to satisfy your curiosity (but with the D&D Next tag, so D&D Next people will view your post in the D&D Next list of threads), and an encouragement that people stick with Pathfinder. Seems like a curious way to introduce yourself to a new board.

Can you tell us, have you posted here before under a different handle?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I'm not concerned. I know that Chris Tulach has hired some good people for whatever Living Campaign exists for D&D Next and they likely have some excellent plans for adventures(I mean, I applied and didn't get in, which means whoever DID get in must be super awesome ;) ). I know that Dave Christ has asked for extra volunteers this year because of how many events they are running. I know that regardless of whether the PHB is released, it's likely that the Starter Set will be released and have enough information to play in it. There's also the minor possibility that the PHB gets released as a PDF in advance of the physical copy of the book or that WOTC releases for free a preview document on their website with the basic rules and the information on the first level or 2 of each class just to make sure there's enough info to play at GenCon.

I'm positive that WOTC would not let GenCon pass this year without making a big deal about it. If the PHB doesn't come out in time there will be plenty of previews and plenty of information by that point. It's the 40th so WOTC will be making a big deal. They are likely not cosponsoring the con this year to save even more money for their own booth and the play area.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I find the silence both unsurprising and exciting. My interpretation of Friday's Q&A is that Mearls and company have something good to hide.

Have faith, Drew!

fjw70

Adventurer
I am not going to Gencon this year but if I were going it would be nice to know what the events are going to be before registering. Hopefully WotC can make an announcement over the next few weeks.

delericho

Legend

No. I would certainly like to see the 5e Starter Set out in June and the "big three" released at GenCon, and I suspect WotC would quite like the same. But I'd much rather they delayed and get it right than they rush it out unfinished.

And I'm pretty sure they will have at least the Starter Set of GenCon, meaning there will be significant 5e interest at the convention.

Of course, part of the reason I'm unconcerned about this one is that I'm not going to GenCon, so it's very much a peripheral interest to me. On the topic of the announcement of release dates themselves, I'm much less calm. :)

Kinak

First Post
If WotC actually has a booth in the Dealer's Hall this year, I'll probably page through whatever 5e stuff they have and decide if I'm going to buy anything.

Do we know yet if they're actually going to have a booth this year?

Cheers!
Kinak

GM Drew

Explorer
I really want 5e to succeed and get an organized play character playing on the ground floor. I suppose a teaser trailer ;) would give me enough confidence to go all in when I register for my events at GenCon.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Nope.

The books will come out when they come out, and I'll look into them at that time.

I am not concerned one whit about when they announce, or what they announce (or fail to announce) before books hit the shelves. They don't tell me beforehand what they're going to say and when, at a convention I'm probably not going to? Not an issue, for me.

I can understand that it may be an issue for 3rd party partners trying to coordinate release dates. But what the general public is told about GenCon doesn't speak to what they are telling other publishers (who would be covered by NDAs).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
What is there to be concerned about? I just wanna play the frikkin' thing already. It'll be done when it's done, and any speculation on what business sense that makes is waaaaaay beyond my level of specialization -- heck, it's more for Mearls's boss's boss than it is for anyone directly on the D&D team.

Can't say I'm "concerned." It's coming out. It'll be successful whenever it does. Given the stirrings of how they might not care as much about the RPG scene specifically anyway (ah, "transmedia"), Gen Con might not even be something they're concerned about hitting.

I'm chomping at the bit to do something with the game but I'm not worried, and I'm not payed to be worried. Got other things to be worried about. ;)

Remove ads