Damage Per Round

loisel

First Post
Are you accounting for warlock's prime shot somewhere I'm not seeing for level 1s?

Wow, I totally missed it. For some reason, I had forgotten that Locks got this -- in fact, I misremembered the opposite, i.e., that Locks didn't get this bonus!

I am uploading fixed graphs and XLS files as I write this.

userbob

First Post
Hi,

Just a quick one, unless i am missing something i am not sure that the comparisons are fair. Eyebite and Cloud of Daggers for example hit Will and Reflex not AC.

Unless like i say i missed something?

Also please bear in mind that in a lot of cases for example Eyebite the secondary effect is the main reason for casting, as is the fact that it targets Will.

In fact i would say that one of the main benefits i have found with Locks so far is there ability to hit lots of different defences.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

loisel

First Post
Hi,

Just a quick one, unless i am missing something i am not sure that the comparisons are fair. Eyebite and Cloud of Daggers for example hit Will and Reflex not AC.

Thanks for your comment. If you read the top post, you will see that I've given a +3 to hit for attacks that target Will, so that these attacks are more directly comparable to attacks that target AC.

userbob

First Post
gah, sorry i did read all the posts just seem to have missed that one...

apologies

however i think a straight DPS is sometimes not the whole picture. for me being invisible to the enemy i just hit is sometimes much nicer than extra damage.

Andur

First Post
Though I am sure you put plenty of work into this, it falls into the same line as other "single analysis" items, i.e. it is worthless when applied to actual gameplay. The old saying "The sum is greater than its parts" applies tenfold to 4e.

Net Damage mitigation needs to be figured out as well to give a "truer" approximation of power, in other words you would need to figure out for any given encounter how much damage a character both gives and receives and give a net figure. If character 1 can dish out 20 DPR but takes 30 DPR and has 60 hp he will do less damage per encounter than Charater 2 who does 10 DPR only takes 5 DPR and has 70 hp.

DPR in itself means very little, Net Damage per day (4 encounters let's say) would be a more accurate model, but even then it needs to be done in a party environment.

Though I am sure you put plenty of work into this, it falls into the same line as other "single analysis" items, i.e. it is worthless when applied to actual gameplay. The old saying "The sum is greater than its parts" applies tenfold to 4e.

Net Damage mitigation needs to be figured out as well to give a "truer" approximation of power, in other words you would need to figure out for any given encounter how much damage a character both gives and receives and give a net figure. If character 1 can dish out 20 DPR but takes 30 DPR and has 60 hp he will do less damage per encounter than Charater 2 who does 10 DPR only takes 5 DPR and has 70 hp.

DPR in itself means very little, Net Damage per day (4 encounters let's say) would be a more accurate model, but even then it needs to be done in a party environment.
Nobody said anything about "power" except for you. Nobodies looking at this except as what it is, a limited look at at-will DPR. Interesting and only really helpful to say that if you want to build a pure dpr character, don't make a Warlock. 4e Tactics are multileveled and tend to involve multiple characters, yes, but you have to walk before you can run, simple graphs like these help people understand what exacty the different classes are good at.

If you want more well rounded examinations of classes and powers, look for the threads discussing first level at-will/encounter/daily powers in their entirety.

Omen of Peace

First Post
Interesting.
From calculations made in a "Dagger vs Rapier" thread over at WotC, I seem to remember Rogue Daggermaster was better than Shadow Assassin. The Wraithblade from Dragon 364 can be nice for multiple SAs per round.

I'm not too surprised about the Warlock. To me, it's the secondary effects (debuffs) they cause that make them interesting in the first place.

loisel

First Post
Interesting.
From calculations made in a "Dagger vs Rapier" thread over at WotC, I seem to remember Rogue Daggermaster was better than Shadow Assassin. The Wraithblade from Dragon 364 can be nice for multiple SAs per round.

You can't have a frost weapon that's also a wraithblade, and a frost weapon is better than a wraithblade if you have Lasting Frost, which all these characters have.

So, in the scenario that I give, and for the levels that I consider, the Daggermaster seems to have slightly less DPR than the Rapier Shadow Assassins.

Remove ads