Damage Per Round

yu gnomi

Explorer
The reference is to a customer service ruling that has since been reversed. At the time that this spreadsheet was made, the ruling was in effect.

If you want to search for it, on gleemax it was known as "Doomsayer and the wand of Howling Doom" (or something very similar to that) question.

bardolph

First Post
An interesting combo for the Warlock is to combine Armor of Agathys with Hellish Rebuke spammed from point blank range, deliberately provoking OAs in order to get the bonus damage from HR. It gets even better if the enemy is marked by a Paladin or Fighter.

bardolph

First Post
The reference is to a customer service ruling that has since been reversed. At the time that this spreadsheet was made, the ruling was in effect.

If you want to search for it, on gleemax it was known as "Doomsayer and the wand of Howling Doom" (or something very similar to that) question.

So, does that mean that the OP (and associated spreadsheets) are no longer valid?

Another error I found is assuming that Lasting Frost can be inflicted by a melee attack with a Frost weapon. I don't believe this is the case, since a martial power does not have the cold keyword, even when the weapon deals cold damage.

Is there any way for the Warlock to reliably inflict 1 hit point of damage to himself every round? If so, then Hellish Rebuke becomes the highest damage At-Will power available, doing 3d6+(CON x2) per round without feats or enhancement bonuses. If not, then the Warlock has to wait until 11th level and the Blood Mage Paragon Path, in which case Bolstering Blood + Hellish Rebuke every round becomes a very high damage combo. In the meantime, there's always Armor of Agathys plus Hellish Rebuke spam at point-blank range, triggering OAs from the opponent (which would trigger Defender punishment as well).

Hmm, how about if the Warlock suits up in some Black Iron Plate (accepting the -2 penalty to attack rolls) and parks next to a Flaming Sphere or Wall of Fire?

Last edited:

So, does that mean that the OP (and associated spreadsheets) are no longer valid?
It means the Warlock does even less damage, and possibly the Wizard too. The ranger, Rogue and Fighter are not affected.
Another error I found is assuming that Lasting Frost can be inflicted by a melee attack with a Frost weapon. I don't believe this is the case, since a martial power does not have the cold keyword, even when the weapon deals cold damage.
FAQ said:
When do a Magic Item's keywords apply?

If you use a magic item's power in conjunction with a power granted to you by your race or class, that item's keywords are added to the regular keywords of the power you are using. For example, if you are have a Flaming Weapon, and you use an at-will power to attack an enemy along with the at-will power of the Flaming Weapon, your attack will have the Fire keyword in addition to the normal keywords of your attack. You have to be using the powers of the weapon for those keywords to be added; simply using the magic item does not necessarily mean every keyword attached to a power of that item will be added.
Is there any way for the Warlock to reliably inflict 1 hit point of damage to himself every round? If so, then Hellish Rebuke becomes the highest damage At-Will power available, doing 3d6+(CON x2) per round without feats or enhancement bonuses. If not, then the Warlock has to wait until 11th level and the Blood Mage Paragon Path, in which case Bolstering Blood + Hellish Rebuke every round becomes a very high damage combo. In the meantime, there's always Armor of Agathys plus Hellish Rebuke spam at point-blank range, triggering OAs from the opponent (which would trigger Defender punishment as well).
Bolstering Blood only works with Wizard Encounter powers.

bardolph

First Post
FAQ said:
When do a Magic Item's keywords apply?

If you use a magic item's power in conjunction with a power granted to you by your race or class, that item's keywords are added to the regular keywords of the power you are using. For example, if you are have a Flaming Weapon, and you use an at-will power to attack an enemy along with the at-will power of the Flaming Weapon, your attack will have the Fire keyword in addition to the normal keywords of your attack. You have to be using the powers of the weapon for those keywords to be added; simply using the magic item does not necessarily mean every keyword attached to a power of that item will be added.
Wow, interesting. I'm surprised that WotC supports combining Lasting Frost with Martial Powers. Seems overpowered to me, and counter to the intention of the feat (just an assumption of mine, but it seems like Lasting Frost was designed with Arcane powers in mind). I wonder if they'll reverse this decision. In the meantime, I think I'm houseruling this one away, since it contradicts the RAW anyway.

Last edited:

Splart

First Post
Most excellent work. I was thinking of making a similar chart, but plotting PC level on the X axis instead of AC. AC would be assumed to be 14 + PC level. This would give clear answers on how much damage a certain class does over another one at a particular level, and should show how PCs damage output changes as they level. Ah well. Work for another day.

Can you help me understand the critical damages? For starters, what gives the level 1 rogue on line 144 a bonus on crits?

Next, let's look at line 129, the Elf Ranger 11 Stormwarden Twin Strike Scimitar 19/22. For his base damage, the damage range is +2 weapon, +1 weapon spec and +1 TWF, and 1d8 weapon damage to give 5 to 12 range. For his crit range, first we give the max 12 damage for crit, then add 2 W since this is a scimitar, a high crit weapon. This is the same as hit base attack, so this adds 2 X ( 5 to 12 ) = 10 to 24. Adding 12 for the crit, we have 22 to 36. Now we also add 2d6 for the frost weapon crit, giving 24 to 48.

However, your spreadsheet gives the crit range as 16 to 40. My first guess is that you did not add in the +2 weapon, +2 feats into the 2 W for scimitar. Is that correct? If so, can you let me know why you thought the damage from 2 W would exclude enchantment and feat bonuses?

Can you let me know how you did your calculation, or what I missed?

--Splart

P.S. One high damage combination I didn't see is a rogue who forgoes his paragon path to steal the Ranger At-will of Twin Strike.

Last edited:

Cirex

First Post
Wow, interesting. I'm surprised that WotC supports combining Lasting Frost with Martial Powers. Seems overpowered to me, and counter to the intention of the feat (just an assumption of mine, but it seems like Lasting Frost was designed with Arcane powers in mind). I wonder if they'll reverse this decision. In the meantime, I think I'm houseruling this one away, since it contradicts the RAW anyway.

But just remember that :

You have to be using the powers of the weapon for those keywords to be added; simply using the magic item does not necessarily mean every keyword attached to a power of that item will be added.

So, if you are wielding a frost weapon, the [cold] keyword doesn't get added. Now, if you turn the damage into cold damage (with the power) then you do.

It's just a minor point, but it's important to keep in mind for other weapons.

Remove ads