Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 3

Ersun

Safely positioned from Worgo’s reach and having their opponents arrayed, he once again weaves his spell with a melody he suspects they recognise quite well by now.

[Casting Colour Spray targeting the three thugs]

narayan

Explorer
Folg, Mogan, Svexyn

Folg leads you up the dunes behind the inn, crawling on his belly to keep a low profile, which of course you imitate. From this elevated vantage point you realize the barn isn't actually a barn, but one half-buried ruin among several. You note six or seven other structures largely swallowed by the sands, perhaps more? The barn is the only one of these structures visible from the inn, and you realize the only reason you didn't recognize it as a ruin to begin with is because of recent stonework added when the inn was likely refurbished.

Folg points to a low depression at the center of the structures that probably served as a courtyard long ago. The sands are not as deep here revealing hints of flagstones. There in the shadows beneath a half crumbled wall lays a pack of five dire jackals in shaggy fur of varying shades of tan, brown and grey. One of them raises its head and yawns revealing a smile of very large fangs! It also reveals a collar, indicating these animals belong to someone?

Mogan: -Exhales and exclaims in common with a low voice- "I bet one of those beasts could swallow Folg whole!"

Folg: Glares at Mogan.

Just then, you notice movement as two men in cloaks drag someone in merchant garb out into the courtyard from the adjoining ruins. A fourth cloaked figure follows behind carrying a lantern. You can't quite make out their voices from your vantage point but its clear the man being dragged is shouting for mercy. The jackals meanwhile eagerly spring to their feet and start snarling and yapping sensing a meal to come. The man with the lantern kneels before the condemned to say something.

The prisoner begs and pleads for a minute or so until the man with the lantern decides he's heard enough and reaches for a long chain affixed to an iron ring in the half crumbled stone wall. He attaches the chain to the manacles the man is wearing and walks away without another word. Immediately the jackals rush forward prompting the merchant to panic and attempt to flee, yet he only manages a few paces before the chain abruptly halts his progress.

Mogan cringes as the jackals converge around the poor fool about to rip him to pieces, but strangely they pause and keep themselves in check just a few feet away, prolonging the mans terror for a few extra moments before the man with the lantern raises a whistle to his lips and emits a single shrill tone. Carnage immediately follows.

[Svexyn: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Mogan and Folg

Svexyn:

~You have GOT to be kidding me! Mogan's right, those things could likely swallow Folg whole. Not to mention what 5 of them could do to us. The merchant is lost... there's nothing to be done about that...~

With a sigh, Svexyn whispers in common for both Mogan and Folg to hear, "They would tear us apart. Not to mention the trio of figures that easily keep those beasts at bay. If we tried anything, we would only join in his demise..."

Not knowing what else to do, Svexyn watches the carnage, intent on finding out just what was going on down there. If he could figure out who they were, and what this was about, then perhaps he could get the merchant some retribution in his afterlife. Also, it concerns him that something like this seems to go on so close to the inn. Surely they had to know about these ruins, these hooded figures, and the beasts. Perhaps that was the next best place to get some information..

As Svexyn contemplates, he motions for Folg and Mogan to keep out of sight, not knowing how well they can fend for themselves or as a group. He watches the scene unfold, watching the hooded figures to see just how many others there were in the shadows, where they were hiding, any conversations, and what the dire jackals do...

[spot and listen checks for Folg and Mogan, +1 to all for draconic aura
Results for Svexyn =
Spot Check Nat 20! +1 Aura = 21
Listen Check 17, +1 Aura = 18]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Billanverthorne ROLLS THE DICE OF FATE! :)

"Their powers are not confined to traditional spellcasting. Imagine if you offered your soul to an evil so great it could transform you into a demon and offer you dominion over a space of hell itself? Such a power as that could easily manage a few tricks of illusion don't you think?"

"You must learn to think before you speak! Imagine if this elf is captured, he could put them on our trail knowing our names and what you just told him!"

"I see many questions in your eyes, questions I know I wouldn't leave without answers for if I were you...but I am a smuggler, not a saint. Information this dangerous is risky to give away to just anyone. Why should we say anything more?"

Bill begins to laugh, chuckling quietly at first, then laughing at the top volume of politeness (i.e., he doesn't laugh obnoxiously loud, the loudest he gets is still at only a conversational level of volume.) "Avar, your intentions are good, and I am sure that your heart is in the right place. However, Jabbar is correct. It is unwise to be so forthcoming, when you are in uncertain company."

Bill studies Jabbar's face for a moment, before continuing. "I am going to admit something to you. I hadn't originally intended to share this with you, but Avar's 'outburst' as you put it, has given me a bit of insight, both into his character, and into yours. I can now see that you are no friend to the Hobgoblins. Indeed, it would be my guess that you are somehow working against them. How else would you be so familiar with their tactics, and their powers?"

Bill pauses, sighing heavily. "Avar, my friend, you were wrong about me. I did suspect a darker hand at work than a mere spellcaster. I didn't want to share that information with you, because I wasn't sure where your allegiances lay. But your willingness to warn me has shown me your true character. It seems that as time passes, I find more and more reason to count you as a friend." Bill pauses again, before continuing.

"Jabbar, I cannot pay you for your information. At least, probably not its full value. All the money I have is what I will be paid tomorrow by Khaled, in return for providing security for his caravan. I am a penniless mercenary, adrift on a sea of intrigue. And I'm not certain of where my next meal is coming from, nor am I certain that I won't be dead tomorrow, or the day after. But I can give you something far more valuable than gold; I can give you my word, and my bond of friendship. If you help me, and tell me what you know, you will have my sincerest gratitude, and I give you my word of honor that I will never betray your trust, even under torture. And I offer this as proof of what I say..."

Bill removes his glove, to reveal the bandaged hand. He slowly begins to unwrap it as he speaks. "The wound you see is the result of the most vile, the most foul evil. My hand was burned by what I now suspect to have been a Hobgoblin, wielding demonic powers such as Avar described. That is the reason why my wound has not yet completely healed. I live with the pain of this wound every day, and if the wrong person were to discover my affliction, I could be labeled unclean, and arrested for dabbling in the same dark arts that I am fighting so relentlessly against! ... So, there you have it. We're on even ground; I have made up for Avar's mistake by giving you the same sort of evidence against me. For better, or for worse, we are now bound together by fate, cast adrift in the same boat with one another, on the sea of destiny."

Last edited by a moderator:

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun

Safely positioned from Worgo’s reach and having their opponents arrayed, he once again weaves his spell with a melody he suspects they recognise quite well by now.

[Casting Colour Spray targeting the three thugs]

Half-Orog: (Will Save, DC 14: = 19, Success)
Worgo: (Will Save, DC 14: = 23, Success)

Neither the half orog or Worgo are affected by your spell this time.

<End of round 5>

<Start of Round 6>

Bleeding Damage ( * )
Fire Damage ( # )
Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )

The order of initiative is:

(22) Underfolk Thug #2 (Unconscious)
(16) Ania (-13)
(16) Half Orog (-10)(-15^)(-13^)
(13) Worgo (-15)(-26^)
(10) Ersun (-4)
(5) Underfolk Thug #1 (-13, Serious)(Unconscious)
__________________________________________________ ________

Ania: (Concentration Check to Cast 'Fire Burst' , DC 17: = 20, Success)(Damage: = 26)

Half Orog: (Reflex Save, DC 14: = 19, Success)(Takes Half Damage)

Worgo: (Reflex Save, DC 14: = 9, Fail)(Takes Full Damage)

Suddenly Ania cats 'Fire Burst' and everything within 5 ft. of her is damaged by hot flames.

Half Orog: (Greataxe Attack vs. Ania: =22, Hit)(Location: Right Hand)(Damage: = 13)

Worgo: (Glaive Strike vs. Ania: = 14, Miss)

[Ersun: It is your turn, what do you do?]

narayan

Explorer
Folg, Mogan, Svexyn

Svexyn:

[spot and listen checks for Folg and Mogan, +1 to all for draconic aura
Results for Svexyn =
Spot Check Nat 20! +1 Aura = 21
Listen Check 17, +1 Aura = 18]

Folg: (Spot Check, +1 from Aura bonus: = 7, Fail)

Mogan: (Spot Check, +1 from Aura bonus: =6, Fail)

Results of Skill Checks_____________________________________

The listen check is irrelevant because you are too far away to overhear any conversation other than shouting. Your spot check is useful however because as you watch the three men return to the ruins you notice something odd... the man with the lantern pauses in the open doorway and reaches up to touch something before he moves through. Neither of your henchmen notice, both seem too awestruck by the jackals feeding frenzy.

The jackals make quick work of their victim, each one separating a limb from the torso, shredding his flesh with their fangs and crushing his bones with their jaws as easily as Folg could bite through a carrot. Before long only a bloody mess remains where once was a man.

As the sun starts to set you observe the two men who dragged the merchant to his doom walk back out with leashes. One of the men blows once on his whistle (a single short tone) to catch the jackals full attention. Each of them then call out to one jackal by name and affixes it to a leash. Afterwards Each man blows two short bursts on their whistles which prompts two more of the beasts to suddenly bolt away from the courtyard in some kind of search pattern. The other jackals on a leash follow at a walking pace, pulling their masters along with them. Only one jackal remains in the courtyard, gnawing on the merchants bones contentedly.

Mogan: Grunts "Time to go!"

You make your back across the dunes and around the barn to the trail you originally used to find the inn. You ask Mogan to carry a torch as you approach the inn to aid your appearance as simple travelers. As you walk Mogan asks what the plan is?

Mogan: "I think whoever lurks in those ruins also has something to do with this Inn. I certainly wouldn't put it past the Quresh to feed men to jackals, they are capable of anything if the tales are true. What exactly is your plan boss? I don't want to end up like that merchant if you intend to do something rash..." He swallows.

Folg: -Snorts- "Whatever masters plan is serves Userrwoth. Nobody will hurt master without killing me first!"

Mogan: Rolls his eyes. "You say that like it'd be a challenge to kill you first."

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Mogan and Folg

Mogan: Grunts "Time to go!"

You make your back across the dunes and around the barn to the trail you originally used to find the inn. You ask Mogan to carry a torch as you approach the inn to aid your appearance as simple travelers. As you walk Mogan asks what the plan is?

Mogan: "I think whoever lurks in those ruins also has something to do with this Inn. I certainly wouldn't put it past the Quresh to feed men to jackals, they are capable of anything if the tales are true. What exactly is your plan boss? I don't want to end up like that merchant if you intend to do something rash..." He swallows.

Folg: -Snorts- "Whatever masters plan is serves Userrwoth. Nobody will hurt master without killing me first!"

Mogan: Rolls his eyes. "You say that like it'd be a challenge to kill you first."

Svexyn:

"I'm not planning on ending up like that poor merchant either, so I don't intend to do anything to end up like that. But yeah, I agree with what you are thinking. Those ruins are too close to the inn to not be known about. As well as who those guys with those jackals are. Just a matter of how to bring up that subject without tipping off the wrong people. And just to note, I saw that the one with the lantern paused before heading into that doorway to the ruins. Seemed to touch something above the doorway, like maybe a warding or something."

He grins at Folg, adding, "I would hate to be the one that crossed Folg and his intent on keeping me safe. But, let's just make sure we get to the inn safely, and figure things out from there."

Continuing to the inn, he moves to keep them all abreast of each other, and hoping Folg's keen eyes can spot the inn entrance and make sure they aren't surprised about anything. Hopefully, the inn will afford them a warm meal, some drinks, and some information.

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious of Anasteria

Heavy boots trudged across the barren land towards his winged opponent. Standing larger with a longer weapon must seem like a losing endeavor Kryslogious had gotten himself into, but he was not dissuaded and continued forth with a heroic air about him. As he reached within the range of the Vuls spear the jab came suddenly, the spear bounced quickly off the top of his shield stabbing between the plates of his left shoulder. when it was retracted you could clearly see contact had been made past the chain mail as fresh blood started to paint the sectioned steel plates of his shoulder. Before another strike could be swung Kryslogious reached out with a heavy hand grabbing a hand full of the straps and vest and forced the creature to the ground violently with a quick sweep.

Kryslogious deftly draws his sword from its sheath with blinding speed [Quick Draw] and comes down with a heavy swing.

[attack roll= 23 Hit!]
[location= 1 Right wing (substitute from right arm)]
[damage= 9]

It tears into the Vuls wing.

"I will make this quick."

narayan

Explorer
Avar, Billanverthorne, Jabbar

Avar: and Jabbar share a long look before Avar says. "...Thralgrimik... that's dwarven for Black Network which is what agents of Skull Mountain call themselves. Hobgoblins serve as their assassins, scouts and commanders for the likes of Gnolls, Orcs and Goblins. My clan was enslaved by the evils of Skull Mountain for two hundred years before we rebelled and finally escaped. Our tattoo's are a mark of honor for us who escaped their chains."

"However there are not many of us left. We sundered dwarves lack the respect of our hillfolk and mountain kin so there was no refuge for us in their halls. We survived living on the fringes of society, taking shelter with men like Jabar who share our commitment to abolish evil."

Jabbar: "Slavery is a sin against the tenants of Ishvar. My people suffered in chains for over six hundred years, starting with King Hamza, escalated by the hated Vul who seized power from him in a coup. So long as they oppress us and the Vulfear strike fear in the hearts of anyone who might help us, we lack the strength to battle Skull Mountain. Avar and I aren't alone, yet our group is spread very thin. Our ranks aren't likely to swell anytime soon either unless we can prove we can beat them!"

Jabbar pauses and refills his cup of tea.

"I am sorry for your losses... but you should realize now they'll never stop hunting you. I expect you also understand why I asked to speak with you. As it stands the elves and the dwarves are the only ones strong enough to war with Skull Mountain and rid the land of the Black Network. Avar and myself are at your disposal if we can help you make that happen."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Billanverthorne: The Alliance Is Formed!

Jabbar pauses and refills his cup of tea."I am sorry for your losses... but you should realize now they'll never stop hunting you. I expect you also understand why I asked to speak with you. As it stands the elves and the dwarves are the only ones strong enough to war with Skull Mountain and rid the land of the Black Network. Avar and myself are at your disposal if we can help you make that happen."

Bill smiles, as he pulls some salve from his belt pouch, and applies it to his hand before re-wrapping it.

"The Black Network, eh? They certainly think highly of themselves, to adopt such a fearsome name. We shall soon see if they deserve such a name. They do not realize who they are contending with. I do not intend to sit still, and allow them to continue taking pot shots at me. I shall bring the fight to them. And we shall see what they are truly made of. There are worse things in this world than death, and it shall be at my hand that the introductions to these things are made." As he says this, Bill's countenance is grim, and filled with determination.

Bill replaces the salve container in his pouch, and slips the glove back onto his hand.

"You have my word as a warrior, I shall do all in my power to help your cause. But if our campaign against these cretins is to succeed, we must be organized. We must each contribute according to our talents. And the first thing we need to do is to gather intelligence. An organization such as theirs, while headquartered so far away, probably has many outposts, many tentacles that reach out across the world to various locales. If we could find a few of these outposts, and destroy them, we would have a much better understanding of how large their network truly is, and then we could really begin to dismantle it, piece by piece."

Bill smiles, as he contemplates the storm of violence that will follow. "Of course, they won't appreciate our efforts. They will attempt to stop us. We must be ready for that. And not just ready for an attack. When they come for us, we must have a trap waiting. We must press them at every turn, and never relent. We must make THEM afraid of US. It's a tall order, to be sure; but if we are to defeat them, then we must be strong, prepared, and merciless. We must not be afraid. Fear will be their problem, not ours."

Bill takes another sip of his tea.

"But first things first; we must decide upon a name for our organization. Our name must convey our mission, and our level of commitment. The most committed of any warrior is a knight. So... something like, 'Knights of the Crimson Cloth,' or some other name that would lend itself to a calling card. If we were Knights of the Crimson Cloth, then we could tie a red scarf around the neck of each of our victims... They'd catch on to our mission pretty quick, I think." Bill cannot suppress a smile at this point.

"So, basically, if we're ok with that name, then what we need now is to conduct reconnaissance; the first order of business should be to figure out where that Hobgoblin scout wandered off to. I'd bet that they have a hideout somewhere close-by, in the surrounding hills. Jabbar, Avar... I'd love to hear your thoughts on this..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads