Dark Heresy FOR THE EMPEROR!!! OOC thread - always recruiting, give a shout

DrZombie

First Post
@hero : too bad. Happy gaming and pop back when you've got some more time.

[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION] : No worries, the combat system, talents and skills are identical/very similar. Only the psyker powers vary but that won't be an issue. Only spending XP for you will mean I'll have to type a lot :(

Walking Dad

First Post
Sorry, I still try to digest the rules and what happened in the game yet. Somehow I'm unable to wrap my head around it.

It would be unfair to have the others 'babysit' me and have wait for me all the time.

If I'm not crucial for the group's size, I would like to bow out for now.

Sorry again.

DrZombie

First Post
[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION] : you're in now, you'll have to post once a day or I'll come over to your house and shoot your dog.

No worries. I'd rather have fewer players who post now regularely. That being said, you're more then welcome to give us a yell if you have had the time to see what's what and how the system works
@ tha rest : I'm back from a short break. ONWARDS FOR THE EMPEROR

DrZombie

First Post
[MENTION=49096]Mu[/MENTION]ggie : sorry, I waited for the other two new players so I could introduce you together. Will write you into the story ASAP.

@ the rest : If you feel clueless about what to do don't worry. So do your characters. Your characters know nothing about cultists or which of the ruinous powers could be behind it, what alien species could be able to take over a sanctioned psyker as if he was a schoolboy. Because it is Forbidden Knowledge, in the most literal way. Knowing these things will get you on a pyre faster then you can say Father Nurgle Is The Master Of All Decay. Unless you have been ordered by the Inquisition to investigate, of course. How far that dispensation goes depends on the inquisitor and which faction he belongs to, but we'll get back on that later.

For now, you're being forced to make decisions without knowing what timeframe you're working on, nor the consequences of those decisions. But make them you must. Unpleasant, is it not? Welcome to Dark Heresy.

Feel free to discuss what you wanna do here or in character, I'm eagerly awaiting your decisions :devil:

muggie2

First Post
[MENTION=49096]Mu[/MENTION]ggie : sorry, I waited for the other two new players so I could introduce you together. Will write you into the story ASAP.

No problems. I just wish that Trix had some time to make some "modelling clay" and some new thick "plastic" external stiffeners for her corset. And maybe a few tubes of "toothpaste". Ah well, I can live without them. Maybe in the future [insert bright happy smile here]

muggie2

First Post
Hey, trixie is a member of the adeptus Arbites. She can allways fill out the proper request forms :)

Hehehe, I think they know her all-too-well to allow her request for 5 kilos of "modelling clay" in 100g blocks, 10 pieces of thermosetting "plastic" boning for her corset and 2 large tubes of "toothpaste" to go through. They would probably be much more likely to allow the CD player (with ten removable detonator pencils masquerading as buttons and the two radio receivers disguised as earbuds) and a kilo of "modelling clay" in order to remove devices in place. Which is why she'll apply for the larger amount, just so they'll compromise down to the smaller amount, which is, after all, what she wants.
If, on the other hand, she gets someone who doesn't know her well enough to approve the big order, well, she'll be very happy. Very very happy. Wearing her new CD player and singing happily, out of tune, of course, and in the wrong key anyway. Oh what a happy girl she'll be. That in itself should be a warning sign for anyone who knows her well. Whether they'll care, on the other hand, depends how close to her they'll have to sit... :)
The comm network should have informed Kelly that Trix is on her way. If not, the unofficial network should have informed her. And also informed her that Trix is smiling and happy. And may even have a few new toys. All of which should be fair warning to Kelly.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
[MENTION=2710]jkason[/MENTION] : crunchwise : psynescience doesn't open your characters mind to attacks, which is something he knows. fluffwise i can imagine Zhent not being the most confident of people right now.

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] (and the rest) : WH40K has a very ambivalent way of dealing with technology. The technology level is more advanced (in some ways) than what we have now, but it is completely misunderstood and shrouded in superstition and rituals. Every piece of technology needs to be maintained by tech-priests, and is jealously guarded by them. You'll find pict-casters (security cameras) at temples of the machine-god, at inquisitorial palaces, at the ancient headquarters of the ecclesiarchy, and at the mansions of the filthy rich, but that's about it.

I know it's a little hard to wrap your head around the concept. If I may use a political incorrect analogy : look at a documentary 'bout some ex-colonies (congo for example). They have steam-trains that are 70 years old. They know what to do to maintain them, and how to get them moving, but they haven't got the slightest clue about how they actually work, nor would they know what to do if something breaks, even if it would be obvious for a skilled mechanic what's going on, because there aren't any mechanics around, nor have they been trained to use it. They learned the trade from someone who doesn't have a clue either.

Or look at the way my six-year old works with the PC : she knows that if she moves the mouse (the hallowed device engraved with runes praising the Ohmn-messiah) the little arrow will move (the spirit will deign to listen to the requests of the user), and if she points it at the bob-the-builder icon (rune) and double clicks the screen will change (the machine spirit will go into communication with the omnmessiah) , and then she has to press the green button (rune), and then a bar will fill up (if she chants the correct hymns to appease the machine spirit), and then she has to press another green button (rune) and a game will start (the macine spirit is pleased and will perform the miracles). If it doesn't work she'll yell for dad, who might grumble a bit. (Great consternation will arise. The operator will be interrogated to see if he has offended the machine spirit. If found guilty he'll be heavily punished, possibly turned into a servitor or sent to the penal legions. A senior tech-priest will be notified) and I'll see what went wrong, if she pressed the wrong buttons I might even have to restart the PC, or even ask one of my mates to have a look at it if she totally bluescreened it (Great offerings will be made. If the machine-spirit is severely offended the machine will be moved to hallowed ground where the most ancient books will be consulted for the correct prayers and rites to please the machine-spirit and to convince it to resume its duties to the Machine-God).

To make matters even worse : thinking machines (computers) are expressly forbidden by imperial decree, since there was a revolt of the 'iron men', self-moving thinking machines, in the ancient times, and caused the downfall of humanity. In it's place are cogitator banks, organic machines made from the brains of convicted criminals or vat-grown tissue mixed with mechanical parts.

This is a very long way of saying that Kestrell will look at hidden observers rather than hidden cameras :). The skill 'tech use' will not improve understanding of technology btw, just make usage less complex.

On with the action

Shayuri

First Post
Hee hee

The sad part is that I'm aware of how tech is 'understood' in 40k. It's just stored in a separate 'box' in my brain from Kestrel, so I didn't connect the two. And, I suppose, sometimes it's tricky to know what tech is commonplace (guns, trains, cyborgs) versus what tech is not (computers, security cameras, etc). I mean, just knowing that tech is superstitious doesn't really specify what kind of tech is still in frequent use. Kestrel might know to watch out for "magic goblin lenses" instead of cameras, but for the purposes of narrative they're still cameras. :)

That said, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll ask before posting if I'm not sure about something in the future. Since my envisioning of Kes is kind of ninja-spyish, I may need to check fairly frequently to see what kind of devices exist, and what countermeasures exist...that she's aware of.

Remove ads