• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun + Essentials interaction

tyrlaan

Explorer
Essentials, I think too few realize, is being needlessly played off as some kind new system (I think it was done to drum up sales).

Yes, some have been interpreting it as some new system, but it's not WotC pushing that notion. There's no tricky marketing going on (at least from that angle). In fact, as far as I've seen, WotC has been specifically trying to point out that Essentials is anything but a new system.

Really this Essentials = new system thing is a beast born of internet rumor and misinterpretation grown horribly out of control. WotC has done what they can (again, from my perspective) to try to mitigate this, but then a lot of people like to consider WotC evil, shifty, or somewhere in between, therefore whatever they say won't really matter.

Aegeri

First Post
I just wish we had a better explanation and more coherent previews. What would have solved all this nonsense well before it ever happened? Give us a playtest of the Knight or Slayer and Mage or Warpriest. Put them into the CB a couple of months ago and let people see how they were supposed to work out in essentials. Would have solved all the drama quickly and easily, plus we wouldn't have had endless rampant speculation. The information we have now clearly indicates it's still just really more options for 4E and a consolidation of rules elements into cheaper starting books.

Really if we can get someone with the DM's kit so we can see what the hell is going on with magic items once and for all we're set.

The Human Target

Adventurer
From what I understand.

1) Themes won't work with well with the new Essentials classes.

2) The Darksun book has feats divided by tier, which Essentials is set to remove from the game.

3) It also has magic items without the new magic items rarity rules that will be errata-ed into the game come Essentials.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
From what I understand.

2) The Darksun book has feats divided by tier, which Essentials is set to remove from the game.

3) It also has magic items without the new magic items rarity rules that will be errata-ed into the game come Essentials.

About the only oil & water I see with Dark Sun and Essentials is the themes. Everything else is just like any other 4th edition book.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
From what I understand.

2+3 aren't really problems as I see it, and I can't see the problem with Themes and essential characters sure the martial ones can't power swap but that hardly seems the main point of themes.

deadsmurf

First Post
Because the original rules aren't antiquated? There are a number of small changes, ie the item rarities, that are accounted for in Essentials forward rules for everything before them with little to no conversion.
Dark sun and essentials seems like it work just fine. The essentials wizard works especially good I would think. I could see playing a Slayer fighter with the gladiator theme, and using the swaps for the utility power swaps every time you gain one.

Remove ads