• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darksun times of change[Oc]closed]

GreenKarl

First Post
It all depends if you are only rolling initiative for one enemy. If you have a big group with a lot of different initiative scores then it can bog down with PBP I think. I tend to go with everyone rolls initiative and what ever side gets the highest goes first. PBP are slow enough already :D But I am cool with whatever

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I understand we must use simpler rules for PBF.
But like that it's much more like a surprise round for group C every time. In a 2 rounds combat, group C may have 0 action.

Round1
A attack
B attack
=======
Round2
A attack (B dead)
C .......

I see what you mean, but it works more like this, so that can't actually happen:

Round 1
A Posts Attack
B (Monsters Attack), round resolves.
========
Round 2
C Posts Attacks
A Posts Attacks
B Monsters Attacks, round resolves.

Sure, fast posters that are in group A might post their attacks first, but group C actually GOES FIRST in round 2.

It's just a way of keeping the "monsters go" at the end of the round, when the DM resolves all actions.

Rogue 19
Ranger 16
Monster 12
Wizard 7
Cleric 4
-repeat-

is exactly the same as
Rogue 19
Ranger16
Monster 12

THEN
Wizard 7
Cleric 4
Rogue 19
Ranger 16
Monster 12

You see what I mean?

That said, I only pay attention to the actual initiative rolls when there's a conflict, which RARELY happens.
You'd be surprised how rare it really matters who did what first.

I've run, what, six fights this way so far, and I've yet to see it really matter. In particular when you do what Aurewraith and I are doing, which is to send "overkill" damage to the next logical target, which is one of the only places where it's an issue.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince Az to do it that way, I'm sure you've got it under control!

Azurewraith

Explorer
I see what you mean, but it works more like this, so that can't actually happen:

Round 1
A Posts Attack
B (Monsters Attack), round resolves.
========
Round 2
C Posts Attacks
A Posts Attacks
B Monsters Attacks, round resolves.

Sure, fast posters that are in group A might post their attacks first, but group C actually GOES FIRST in round 2.

It's just a way of keeping the "monsters go" at the end of the round, when the DM resolves all actions.

Rogue 19
Ranger 16
Monster 12
Wizard 7
Cleric 4
-repeat-

is exactly the same as
Rogue 19
Ranger16
Monster 12

THEN
Wizard 7
Cleric 4
Rogue 19
Ranger 16
Monster 12

You see what I mean?

That said, I only pay attention to the actual initiative rolls when there's a conflict, which RARELY happens.
You'd be surprised how rare it really matters who did what first.

I've run, what, six fights this way so far, and I've yet to see it really matter. In particular when you do what Aurewraith and I are doing, which is to send "overkill" damage to the next logical target, which is one of the only places where it's an issue.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince Az to do it that way, I'm sure you've got it under control!
Yes under control... ask my closest friend and my brother I may look frosty on the surface but inside I'm a whirling :):):):) storm of panic on the inside. I mean I had my car burst into flames and blow up about 20ft from me wouldn't of guessed it, I simply commented on the cooling breeze while tying my hair back.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Ok now that the balls back in your court I'm off to bed 3 Baazrag are dead 3 are alive, 2are hanging of Kanna 1 of which is badly wounded the other unharmed, the final muncher is hanging off Kimet and is unharmed.

The first few encounters will be a learning curve as i figure out what you guys can take as rolled stats and a large party.

Remove ads