• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Day #6 Smoke-Free

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here's one I just heard from a buddy whom I didn't know was a smoker- I met him after he quit.

He said that he often complained that part of his addiction was having something to do with his hands.

He bought a yo-yo... & he got pretty good with it.

:)

After a while, he put it aside, but the nic-habit was broken- he's still clean 6 years later.

Goldmoon

First Post
I smoked for 14 years until my lung collapsed at the age of 28. Ive been a non smoker every since. Its been 3 years and I still get cravings. What helps me is sunflower seeds. Now I need to take up something else to break my addiction to those....

Bad Paper

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
every day you don't smoke is a bonus
QFT

I smoked for fifteen years. Cold turkey didn't work for me. I just tapered off and...forgot about it. I quit about the time that I got married. I think the mental-shift that inspired me to get hitched to my girlfriend of five years was the same that inspired me to forget about smoking.

I started by just not buying them for a while (passive quitting) and then trying not to bum them off others (active quitting). I allowed myself to buy the occasional lottery ticket with the money I was saving, just so I could have some other way to waste my cash. Less guilt, with the rare payback!

It isn't the addiction; it's the habit that's hard to break. So make some new habits. I went back to neurotically playing piano for hours per day.

And yeah, a friend of mine used to be a heroin addict (ended with a few years in prison after robbing banks to support his hobby). Now he's clean: no smack, alcohol, pot, nothin, and he's steadily employed. But he can't give up those damn fags. They are murderous to try n quit.

You'll do fine, even if you slip up. It's the same with dieters: they may break down and suddenly hork a box of cookies, but that doesn't mean they've failed! It just means climbing back on the wagon again. If you find yourself having a cigarette, put it out or give it back or whatever, and don't get down on yourself about it. And certainly don't have a second one! This will get easier.

I haven't been a smoker for four years. I think the worst part about being smoke-free is now I hate being around that nasty cigarette smoke! It's gross!

I quit smoking on the immediately previous January 1st (that is, Jan 1, 06). I have been smoke free since. Woo hoo.

I did not use the patch, or any other quit-smoking-now accoutrements... But I didn't exactly quite cold-turkey, either. I quite smoking vie the plague. Here's my story...

At around the end of 2005, I was planning to buy a shiney new house. So, "I'll quit smoking before I buy the house," I told myself, as I didn't want to smoke up the place. Of course, anyone who has attempted to quit smoking before knows that when a smoker tells himself such a thing, he doesn't really mean it. He tells himself that he'll quit smoking so he can feel better about himself, or whatever... Whether or not I actually meant that I was going to quit smoking before I bought my house, I'll never know. I'm just not that introspective.

Then comes New Years Eve. The perfect opportunity to quit smoking, in the form of a new Year's Resolution (was this holiday made for smokers, or what?) 12:00am came and went, and I was still a smoker. Little did I know that the very next day (still that same day, technically, but just after having gotten some sleep), I would, in fact, be embarking on that long road to non-smoking-dom.

I awoke that afternoon feeling a bit queasy and light headed (this was to be expected, I guess, after this particular holiday) and with a little bit of a tickle in my throat. Assuming that these were merely the well-deserved aftereffects of a night of excesses, I went on about my usual routine.

As the day went on, however, instead of feeling gradually feeling better as the effects of the various toxins I had ingested slowly wore off, I began feeling worse and worse. I became more nauseas, and my head span more and more, and my throat became very very raw and sore. Lo, I had caught some sort of plague, and a terrible one it was. At around 6 o'clock that evening, I had had enough. I put out my final cigarette (it was, in fact, to be my final cigarette, but I was unaware of that at the time), less than half smoked. I took some NyQuil and hit the sack.

The next three days are all a little bit hazy. I spent them alternately in a fevered daze and in a NyQuil coma. When I finally felt myself again, it'd been around 74 hours or so since I had last smoked a cigarette. At that point, I decided that I had quit.

Fortunately, I spent the next few days being extremely busy at work (the New Year is right in the middle of a 'rush' where I work) so I spent 18 to 20 hours a day keeping myself occupied, so that I did not notice so much that I wanted a cigarette. I did realize that I would need some sort of coping mechanism to deal with the inevitable urges. That is when I came upon the cursing method.

Whenever you have the urge to do something, but that thing is something that you shouldn't be doing. The best way to counteract that urge is to do something else (theoretically the something else should be less desctructive than the something you are trying to avoid doing). So, whenever I got (get, really) the urge to smoke a cigarette, I decided that I would curse, instead. Its something that I can do anytime (though I have to do so very quietly in some circumstances), doesn't cost me any money, and gives me a release that distracts me from my previous urge.

Since then, I have gotten to experience many firsts, again, which is kind of cool. For instance, I had a first long drive since I quit smoking, during which a stream of profanities spewed from my mouth that would give Eric's Grandma a stroke. Just this past New Year's, I did my first drinking since I quit smoking. It wasn't bad at all, though there were a few well-placed curse words, I must admit.

So... Anyway. As a fellow quitter. Congrats on the quitting and good luck. Try the cursing method. It really works.

Later
silver

Thad Enouf

First Post
I'm new here but I thought I'd chime in with my story about battling the smoking habit.

I smoked for about 15 years and then my wife had surgery that basically forced her to quit. Needless to say, my smoking days were numbered. So I bought the patch and it worked wonders. I didn't feel the need to smoke and it was so successful that one day about six weeks after my quit date, I walked around thinking I was wearing the patch but had actually forgotten to put one on. That's when I knew that I had broken the habit.

I have had my slip-ups, however. Not many, but I have probably smoked six cigarettes since October '06. Before that, I was at a pack a day so I'm not beating myself up over it. But I don't think the urge to smoke will ever go away. One thing is for sure....they won't be as good as you remember! Blech! All a quitter can do is fight that urge and replace the cigarette with sugarless gum or a mint, which is my choice.

My biggest beef about not smoking is the weight gain. We're talking pounds being put on. So exercise is a must. Take my word for it.

The pros of quitting are many:

An extra $260/month between myself and my wife
Being able to breathe without sounding like a plugged drain
Food tastes better (see weight gain, above)
Smokers smell nasty
No more having to stand outside in the cold to smoke, while being glared at by the self-righteous non-smokers passing by.
Lower chance of having to use oxygen tanks in old age.

Best of luck to you. I know that if I can do it, anyone can. If you slip up and have one, don't worry about it. Just remove the opportunity to smoke. It does get easier.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No more having to stand outside in the cold to smoke, while being glared at by the self-righteous non-smokers passing by.

Hey, hey, HEY! Self-righteous?

Personally, I'm content to let people go to hell in their own handbaskets as long as it doesn't impact me.

If it weren't for the externalities of most drug use (crimes to support habits, crimes to protect supplies, disease vectors, etc.) I'd say let the adults do what they want...

But smoking impacts my lungs, man- I have enough trouble breathing with my allergies!

At any rate...Keep on not smoking!

BroccoliRage

First Post
I quit smoking cold turkey on the 2nd. I'm still not smoking.

IF you want quitting cold turkey to be successful, this is how:

1. Don't smoke when you wake up in the morning. You'll already have eight hours of no nicotine under your belt.
2. Throw your lighter, cigarettes, and ashtrays out.
3. Say out loud, "I do not smoke". Make this your mantra. Verbatim.
4. Avoid the people you care about for three days, as much as possible, because you may say something hurtful because you'll be irritable.
6.Find something compulsive and passive to do. Eat peppermint candy when you need a smoke, the taste will get overwhelming and you'll begin to associate it with smoking. At the same, you'll have the freshest breath this side of NASA.

I'm past the cravings. Buy yourself a a gift with the money you couldn't afford otherwise.

I'm not going to say good luck, because you're already a nonsmoker. Think of it like that. Remember: "I don't smoke."

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

I quit back in October and I feel good. I went the cold turkey method figured if Superman(George Reeves) can quit so can I.

Saved a ton of money and baught myself a new car. I still get cravings even after three months without a smoke but with the money I have saved and now I am able to concentrat on playing D&D and not running out the door every 30 minutes for a smoke.

Plus I dont smell of smokes anymore either!! A very stinky habbit.

Scott

MojoGM

First Post
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Day 16 and I'm still smoke-free. I've never gone this long before without having even a single cigarette. It must be the patch.

I run a program on my desk-top that keeps track, and this morning the stats read:

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 11 hours, 19 minutes and 17 seconds (16 days). I have saved $90.59 by not smoking 329 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 3 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 12/31/2006 9:30 PM

I may just need to treat myself to something soon...

Remove ads