• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDN and Campaign settings

tlantl

First Post
Sadly I'm going to have to retool my game world yet again. It's probably a good thing that I mothballed most of my AD&D material and NPCs so this won't be a huge undertaking.

Hopefully there'll be some new stuff included in the published worlds that I can steal for my own setting. 3e's setting material was either lacking in decent content or had nothing I wanted to use.

I like the shadowfell and feywild demi-planes and might find a way to adopt them but only for specific adventures much like I use the planescape setting for the occasional change of pace.

Arytiss

First Post
Ravenloft needs to be updated for the new generation. I suggest a Twilight-style sparkly vampire Dark Lord.

I would suggest a small tub of glitter on Strahd's dressing table.

I think that it's important that each(/old) new setting introduced in to next bring something new to the table. The Realms is good for generic High Fantasy, which is the genre that many gamers, both old and new, associate with D&D. This makes it the perfect setting (along with Greyhawk and Dragonlance) tointroduce the new edition with. For those wondering why not one of the other two I mentioned, the answer is probably the Sundering novels and more money in WotC's pocket. The Realms are popular and starting off with them can provide more funds for future endevours.

Prickly

First Post
I would suggest a small tub of glitter on Strahd's dressing table.

I think that it's important that each(/old) new setting introduced in to next bring something new to the table. The Realms is good for generic High Fantasy, which is the genre that many gamers, both old and new, associate with D&D. This makes it the perfect setting (along with Greyhawk and Dragonlance) tointroduce the new edition with. For those wondering why not one of the other two I mentioned, the answer is probably the Sundering novels and more money in WotC's pocket. The Realms are popular and starting off with them can provide more funds for future endevours.

That was the idea in 4E

They wanted each setting to be a different take on DnD.
Thats why we had High Fantasy in Forgotten Realms, Pulp noir in Eberron and brutal non standard fantasy Dark Sun.

They were going to do Ravenloft (Gothic Horror) but sadly they changed their minds.

meomwt

First Post
Has it actually been stated that FR will be the default setting for D&D Next? Because in the cleric class write-ups we've had so far for playtesting, they always reference Pelor, who is the sun deity on Greyhawk...

Yora

Legend
Well, in 3rd Edition Greyhawk was the official setting.

But when you look at the setting books released:
Greyhawk: 0
Forgotten Realms: 27

meomwt

First Post
Well, in 3rd Edition Greyhawk was the official setting.

But when you look at the setting books released:
Greyhawk: 0
Forgotten Realms: 27

Actually, there was 1 Greyhawk book for 3e. Plus all the Living Greyhawk support. But yes, it wasn't best supported.

Grimmjow

First Post
Has it actually been stated that FR will be the default setting for D&D Next? Because in the cleric class write-ups we've had so far for playtesting, they always reference Pelor, who is the sun deity on Greyhawk...

ya i noted that too. But in the second playtest it is simply war domain (and moradin is in the FR) and sun, which is ruled by Amaunator in FR. In the first playtest it was a pelor cleric, but now its a sun cleric.

Arytiss

First Post

I believe that they've said that they're going to try avoiding being tied down to any particular setting this time around.

Gryph

First Post
That probably is the problem. From what I can tell, it's not really different from Forgotten Realms in any meaningful way. It just so happened that FR became much more popular. There is no good reason to have both in the program doing pretty much the same thing.

That had a lot more to do with the fallout and lawsuits over IP ownership when Gary Gygax was forced out of TSR then fan preference at the time.

But you're right, they are both big, sprawling high fantasy worlds. I prefer Greyhawk because there was a noted lack of Mary Sue wizards and canon story arcs so it always seemed like more of a sandbox for me as a DM to play in.

Remove ads