• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deadlands: Session Atmosphere

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Because of the Texas Hold'em craze, it should be fairly easy for you to find poker chips- even nice ones that have a very nice weight and sound to them- for reasonable prices.
It's not all that important, but plain clay chips (just colors, no markings at all) will be less anachronistic. ("More achronisitic"?) I have a caddy of a couple of hundred around somewhere, but they can be somewhat hard to find nowadays.

Because of the Texas Hold'em craze, it should be fairly easy for you to find poker chips- even nice ones that have a very nice weight and sound to them- for reasonable prices.

You should probably also get a few decks of inexpensive Hoyle cards- not just for the game itself, but as props. Its amazing how much time some people spent playing poker & blackjack.

A spitoon of some kind is a nice touch...but instead of using chips to toss in there, get some jelly beans. You won't care if they break.

the first time I played Dead lands the marshal (GM) and I spent hours at fleemarkets and tagsales till we found old poker chips... used dirty, and a bit chiped an warn. we also used hoyle cards, and cowboy hats... and a lot of clint eastwood movies to get the mood right...

Krensky

First Post
Good chips and cards will go further then almost anything else.

Part of this, for the best feel, is the unlabeled chips and cards without numbers.

Some quick Googling...
Chips (don't forget the gold and black ones ;)): Super Diamond 8.5g Hot Stampable : Old West Poker Supplies, Tools For The Art of Playing Poker
Cards: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Collectible-Badges-Pharo-Playing-Poker/dp/B002J5JWF8/ref=sr_1_184?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1269317557&sr=1-184"]Amazon.com: Pharo Playing Poker Cards: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Vintage-Playing-Cards-Ellusionist-com/dp/B001OVN8OY/ref=sr_1_124?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1269317496&sr=1-124[/ame]

I'm sure you could find better prices on period style poker decks.

Last edited:

karlindel

First Post
I will also recommend getting something appropriate for the fate pot that you put the chips in. A spittoon sounds awesome, a ten gallon hat might be even better. Good poker chips are also important.

The whiskey bottles also sound like an excellent idea, I'll have to remember that next time I run a Deadlands game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I will also recommend getting something appropriate for the fate pot that you put the chips in. A spittoon sounds awesome, a ten gallon hat might be even better. Good poker chips are also important.

I had the "getting to know the system" session last night. I have gotten some okay poker chips - they have a bit of the look and feel of clay or ceramic, but they are plastic. That's intentional - I don't know how much punishment clay chips can take, so I'm not splurging for them. I do have a nice hat that works for the pot.

I am, apparently, the only one at the table that drinks iced tea. So, the "whiskey" bottle is all mine! :)

Remove ads