• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death in Freeport

doghead

thotd
ic - Dif

Hinjo follows the conversation while keeping a casual eye on the rest of the inn. The information gained from the barkeep is useful, but not encouraging.

The barbarian acknowledges the barkeep's advice with a small nod of the head. Hinjo has dedicated much of his life to the mastery of the sword. But he is still young, and well aware that there are many more capable than he with weapons. It was a lesson beaten into the young warriors of his tribe on many occasions. Courage was valued, but arrogance was not.

Those times seem like a long time ago. Hinjo returns his attention to the task at hand

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata nods, then asks, "I'm curious. Has anyone else been asking about Scarbelly recently? I mean, not a ruffian looking for a captain, but more out of place. Scholarly sort, perhaps."

Azgulor

Adventurer
Placing a silver piece onto the table and sliding it to the man at the table, Aidan adds in a low voice "That's for keeping this conversation private. There's more if your information is useful."

Pulling up a chair, Aidan's hands drop to the hilt of his dagger and his sword. Flashing a big smile at Urth for the benefit of any onlookers, he says "And if you can't keep this private, you'll be lucky if you can gum your food and piss blood when I'm done with you. We sailing to the same heading, mate?"

OOC: Voadam, let me know if Gather Info roll(s) are appropriate or if you want to do them on the sly as necessary. I'm assuming that unless this conversation sours to the point where interrogation ensues, Intimidate doesn't apply. --Thanks.

Erekose13

Explorer
Dogrynn thinks nothing of the threats Aidan issues, privately agreeing with the sentiment. He just continues to wait for Urth's reply.

ooc: hehe these two will never get any good information with these tactics, but Dogrynn is too dumb to realise that.

doghead

thotd
ic - DiF

Once Arcata has finished her questions, and they can talk in private, Hinjo turns to his companion.

"Scarface needs now to only ask the right question, and he will learn that someone is looking for him. And it won't be too hard to finnd us if he really wants to." The barbarian glances down and at his rather distinctive garb. "Dogrynn doesn't really blend in either."

"Perhaps it is time to go and see what the others have found out. Where are we meeting them? We did not choose a place, did we?

"We all know where you work. Perhaps we should head there." Hinjo does a quick mental calculation. "We can leave a message with brother Egin. Its on the way. I think."

[sblock=ooc]I know Arcata has a question still in the wind, and perhaps others up her sleave. I just thought that I would get this up now. Save time later.

What is the situation with the other two - Grok and Riki? Should we assume that they are tagging along, or have gone their own way since searching the house?[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
ic - DiF

"What brings you to Freeport Arcata? How do you know Brother Egil?"

[sblock=ooc]Once again, I'm assuming that this takes place at 'some other time', when they can talk freely.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
(meep, that works then)

Arcata looks crestfallen and admits, "I guess I was too eager to get started...we didn't arrange where or how to meet. I do think we should avoid Egil until we have some real information. I'd like to avoid drawing attention to him. Lets go back to the place we all met Egil at. It seems a pretty logical place to return to."

"As for me, Brother Egil helped me understand who...and what...I am." She shrugs, a little too nonchalantly. "Magic is distrusted by a lot of people. Especially magic that's in the blood. The Atheneum doesn't share that prejudice."

She glances at Hinjo curiously, perhaps noting that he doesn't seem the scholarly sort to associate with Egil. "What about you?"

doghead

thotd
ic - DiF

Arcata said:
... Lets go back to the place we all met Egil at. It seems a pretty logical place to return to.

Hinjo nods in agreement. "After we finish these. Are you hungry? I am. Perhaps we should eat something now as well. There is a table over there."

Hinjo orders something for himself, and Arcata if she so desires.

Arcata said:
"As for me, Brother Egil helped me understand who...and what...I am." She shrugs, a little too nonchalantly. "Magic is distrusted by a lot of people. Especially magic that's in the blood. The Atheneum doesn't share that prejudice."

... magic that's in the blood. The expression puzzles the barbarian warrior for a moment. For a moment he thinks she means 'blood magic', the dark magic of the elder gods. But Arcata doesn't look like the type - she doesn't have the scars for one thing. Unless they are concealed under her clothes. Then he remembers something he read. She must be a natural arcane magic wielder, a sorcerer. Their power is reputed to come from the blood of dragons which flows in their veins. Hence the expression, magic in the blood.

Hinjo snorts. "It doesn't matter where it comes from, its want is done with it that counts."

Arcata said:
"What about you?"

Hinjo notices Arcata's look. Its one he is familiar with. He has seen it many times while at the Atheneum library. The barbarian smiles wryly.

"I wanted to see the world. So I came to Freeport, the city where the whole world meets. We have cities back home, but nothing like this. Nothing as big as this. It was a little ... overwhelming.

"Eventually I found, well, stumbled across the library. It was quiet, and it had many wonderful books. I like books. But I think that I made them nervous at first. But Brother Egil was good to me."

Hinjo is silent for a moment.

"I think Brother Egil has a soft spot for those who don't fit in. He seems to have an unusual assortment of friends."

[sblock=ooc]I figure we should stay in the tavern for the moment. In case Voadam has something up his sleeve.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads