[Dec 2016] What Are You Reading?

It's December, and winter is coming. In lieu of that (and the 20 year anniversary of its publication), I'm re-reading GRRM's A Game of Thrones. Don't think I'll tackle the rest of the series, but I wanted to revisit its beginning.

What's everyone else reading?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yea! I was missign this thread, saw activity back in the November one.

I've been on a Terry Pratchett kick. Currently reading The Fifth Elephant and quite enjoying it.

Brandegoris

First Post
I am currently reading "the Crusades" By Zoe Oldenbourg. Its History but a magnificent read. I highly recommend it. She is a fantastic Author.
I am also reading Several novels By Bernard Cornwell. He is my favorite. :p

Richards

Legend
I'm just starting Pirate King by Laurie King, another in the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series that takes place after his official retirement as a consulting detective. This one deals with, apparently, the brand new motion picture studio business.

Johnathan

Jhaelen

First Post
I've finished 'Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen' by Lois McMaster Bujold. Alas, while the novel is an entertaining read, I'm having a hard time calling it a sci-fi novel. The plot is easily summarized in a single sentence (and basically already given away in the book's title). The most exciting things happening are two side events involving a kind of floating jelly-fish and drying plas-concrete (yup, no kidding, there!).
Initially, it gave me the impression of being a commentary on (trans)gender indentity and equality, but the focus is clearly on the developing relationship between the two protagonists.
So, while it's not quite as bad as 'A Civil Campaign' (which I really disliked), you can easily skip reading this unless you're a completionist.

Next up is China Mieville's 'The Scar', his second 'Bas-Lag' novel (i.e. the setting introduced in 'Perdido Street Station').

Dioltach

Legend
I'm picking up "A Time of Gifts" by Patrick Leigh Fermor. I absolutely love it: a compelling story, a beautiful style, a glimpse into life in Europe in the build-up to WWII, and overall a remarkable person. But every so often it bogs down in his thoughts on architecture, like his excursion to Prague.

I'm also reading "Playing with Fire", Book 2 in the Skullduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy, to my wife.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've finished 'Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen' by Lois McMaster Bujold. Alas, while the novel is an entertaining read, I'm having a hard time calling it a sci-fi novel. The plot is easily summarized in a single sentence (and basically already given away in the book's title). The most exciting things happening are two side events involving a kind of floating jelly-fish and drying plas-concrete (yup, no kidding, there!).
Initially, it gave me the impression of being a commentary on (trans)gender indentity and equality, but the focus is clearly on the developing relationship between the two protagonists.
So, while it's not quite as bad as 'A Civil Campaign' (which I really disliked), you can easily skip reading this unless you're a completionist.

Next up is China Mieville's 'The Scar', his second 'Bas-Lag' novel (i.e. the setting introduced in 'Perdido Street Station').

I saw in last month's thread you were reading this and was wondering. I feel this may have been the weakest of all of them, coming from a big fan of the series. Just missing and oomph or tension. I'm interested in Cordelia, but this just didn't do it for me.

Ooh, China Mieville! I really liked Perdido Street Station, had a very different feel then most. I know he came out with several past but haven't had a chance to read them yet so another I'd like your feedback on when you're done. :)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Ooh, China Mieville! I really liked Perdido Street Station, had a very different feel then most. I know he came out with several past but haven't had a chance to read them yet so another I'd like your feedback on when you're done. :)
The Scar and Iron Council aren't the same quality as Perdido Street Station. Read them if you're a completionist, but I felt they didn't have the same impact as the first. Characters were stale and plots were muddled. You do not learn much about Bas-Lag in them.

Embassytown is Miéville's best novel I've read since Perdido, althought I haven't read all his novels. Embassytown is a sci-fi novel that I enjoyed a lot.

Ursula K. Le Guin said this about the novel: "Embassytown is a fully achieved work of art...works on every level, providing compulsive narrative, splendid intellectual rigour and risk, moral sophistication, fine verbal fireworks and sideshows, and even the old-fashioned satisfaction of watching a protagonist become more of a person than she gave promise of being."

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
Reading the Felix Castor series of novels by Mike Carey. Very well done; I don't usually binge-read but I'm working on the fourth (and last, I think) one right now. I've also read Feed.

Remove ads