[Dec] What are you watching?

Turgenev

Hero
"Battle of the Planets: The Ultimate DVD Boxed Set" which contains 12 episodes plus the original, uncut Gatchaman episodes with English subtitles. This was the main reason I got the DVD set. BotP is nostalgic fun, but the original Japanese episodes are fantastic (and no 7-Zark-7!). What can I say, I'm a Gatchamaniac.

"The Adventures of ROBIN HOOD" starring Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland. Fantastic! Superb! This was one of my best DVD purchases. The picture quality is wonderful. The colour is lush and vibrant. If I didn't know better, I would have said the film was made recently instead of 1938. The second disc has lots of bonus stuff but I loved the classic cartoons the best - Merrie Melodies Short Rabbit Hood, starring Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes Short Robin Hood Daffy, starring Daffy Duck.

Hayao Miyazaki's "Castle of Cagliostro" and "Castle in the Sky" (actually it should be called Laputa: Castle in the Sky but Disney decided to drop the Gulliver's Travels inspired name). Both films are a lot of fun. Castle in the Sky is especially great for children (Castle of Cagliostro has some mild swearing so may not be suitable for younger children). My step-granddaughter fell in love with the film but she already worshipped Miyazaki's "My Neighbour Totoro" so that wasn't completely unexpected.

I've watched other DVDs (Robotech: Macross Saga, TT EE, Mark of Zorro, various Doctor Who story arcs, etc.) but the ones mentioned above are the ones I keep going back to again and again.

Cheers,
Tim

TiQuinn

TurgenevThe second disc has lots of bonus stuff but I loved the classic cartoons the best - Merrie Melodies Short [i said:
Rabbit Hood[/i], starring Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes Short Robin Hood Daffy, starring Daffy Duck.

YIKES! AND AWAY!

THUMP.

ah, the classics...

Sirius_Black said:
I just finished watching X-Men2: XMen United and LOTR: Two Towers this weekend with the family. We'll probably watch Pirates of the Carribean this weekend. I hear the DVD for the latter film is great.
Ah, I can't get X2 or Pirates because it's likely my kids will put them under the tree for me. December is both fun and at the same time very frustrating to me. :)

Welverin

First Post
Finding Nemo visual commentary, the Indianna Jones movies, tTT EE (will listen to the cast commentary next), Futurama, parts of Matrix Reloaded.

Some of that does extend to last month.

Last edited:

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Krug said:
Heh it's the European R2. Season 5 US (R1) is coming out soon.

Region 1 folks (US and Canada) will be getting Buffy Season 5 on 12-9-03 (next week!) and Season 6 on 7-6-04. Angel Season 3 streets on 2-3-04. Region 2 has been ahead of us these by a few volumes for a while.

Just watched Princess Blade last night--just okay in my opinion. Pretty decent fight choreagraphy but mostly BLAH story.

Watched a DVD screener for Amercian Splendor the other day--great, fun movie! I recommend it. The bit where one of Harvey Pekar's coworkers is introduced was priceless, I thought. I kept thinking to myself, "Man, no way is the REAL guy like this--this guy is just crazy over-the-top in his performance." And then the movie cuts to the real guy and he is EXACTLY like that.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Just came back from The Missing. Very good Western with some mystical elements; makes me want to run a magical Western game even more.

Lain #3: Deus
Mirage of Blaze: Vol. 2: Ancient Rivals

Both of there had me growl at the end of the last episode on disc, wanting more Both series are extremely enjoyable.

Invincible with Billy Zane: terrible, save for the opening scene. Jesus, it was terrible.

Kesh

First Post
Return of the King is all I'm going to see in theaters, most likely.

As for DVD, I'll be picking up the final volume of X and watching the whole series straight through. :)

Remove ads