Deciding on a character for AL.

RulesJD

First Post
Cleric is probably your best bet. You can start a level of sorcerer for booming blade which helps you tank, as well as Con saves. Knowledge can be pretty fun for CC.

As far as the spell list, remember that you get the full list to choose from every day in addition to your domain spells Only the wizard has more options, and only if he finds them.

I want to emphasize this option heavily. Wild Magic sorc = so much fun while being mechanically amazing for a 1 lvl dip. Pick up booming blade, greenflame blade, shocking grasp, and 2 utility cantrips (I recommend minor illusion and mage hand for at range trap/pulls). Level 1 spells pick up Comprehend Languages (can cast as a ritual through Cleric), and most importantly SHIELD. Tides of Chaos is FANTASTIC for making your concentration saves, initiative rolls, pretty much everything. Shield makes you uber tanky with level 1/2 spell slots that would otherwise go unused.

Then go the rest of your levels as Tempest Cleric. When you hit Cleric level 6, you can shocking grasp your opponents with a 10ft knockback at will.

There is very little you wont be able to do. More often than not, my Tempest Cleric is the tankiest character thanks to Shield spell + shield equipped + proficiency in con saves + naturally high wisdom + Tides of Chaos for advantage + heals + Shield Master feat (if variant human at start). At the same time, I regularly do BY FAR the most damage because of Spiritual Guardians + Maximized damage Shatters. The 1 level dip in sorc means your spell slot progresses as normal so you can upcast Spiritual Guardians as you normally would be able to as a straight cleric.

Kithas

First Post
Before I throw my hat in the ring I have some questions. What season are you using? What books do you have access to? I'm not super familiar with AL so I don't want to suggest something that won't help.

If you have access to the Scag I recommend a mix of Paladin and Cleric with maybe a dash of fighter.
Start Hill Dwarf, and prioritize Con->Wis->Str, Start off in Paladin, at lvl 2 go into cleric(nature for shillelagh would remove your need for str, but any domain works) for atleast 3 levels(For the spell Warding Bond), then push to 6 paladin(for the damage stealing ability)
Use your heavy armor, get Warcaster, Heavy armor mastery, and defensive Duelist(with a rapier/shortsword, if not nature cleric) if they start focusing on you, and Tough if theyre still hitting your friend. Concentrating on Warding bond means you take half his damage for him, and as a reaction you can take all of it. Which is why you need to be really hard to kill; you're taking the damage for two people basically.
You get plenty of spell slots to dump on people with Divine Smite, you can also use your CD to challenge folks.

After that you can level up however you want, cleric will give you tons of options whereas paladin will be more martial.

Edit; It's interesting that you mention liking summoning spells and hard control spells yet you don't like the cleric spell list. They get hold person and some of the best summoning spells in the game...

Last edited:

Leugren

First Post
I want to emphasize this option heavily. Wild Magic sorc = so much fun while being mechanically amazing for a 1 lvl dip. Pick up booming blade, greenflame blade, shocking grasp, and 2 utility cantrips (I recommend minor illusion and mage hand for at range trap/pulls). Level 1 spells pick up Comprehend Languages (can cast as a ritual through Cleric), and most importantly SHIELD. Tides of Chaos is FANTASTIC for making your concentration saves, initiative rolls, pretty much everything. Shield makes you uber tanky with level 1/2 spell slots that would otherwise go unused.

Then go the rest of your levels as Tempest Cleric. When you hit Cleric level 6, you can shocking grasp your opponents with a 10ft knockback at will.

There is very little you wont be able to do. More often than not, my Tempest Cleric is the tankiest character thanks to Shield spell + shield equipped + proficiency in con saves + naturally high wisdom + Tides of Chaos for advantage + heals + Shield Master feat (if variant human at start). At the same time, I regularly do BY FAR the most damage because of Spiritual Guardians + Maximized damage Shatters. The 1 level dip in sorc means your spell slot progresses as normal so you can upcast Spiritual Guardians as you normally would be able to as a straight cleric.
Interesting build. How did you allocate your ability scores? Shocking Grasp will key off of Charisma, but you also need a high Strength and Wisdom. It seems fairly MAD if you're doing a point buy.

RulesJD

First Post
Interesting build. How did you allocate your ability scores? Shocking Grasp will key off of Charisma, but you also need a high Strength and Wisdom. It seems fairly MAD if you're doing a point buy.

My particular build has the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength to help, which makes a big difference. But assuming not:

Str: 14
Dex: 9
Con: 13
Int: 8
Wis: 15
Cha: 13

Variant Human, +1 Wis and +1 Str (for plate). You could take Resiliency (Wisdom) if you're worried about more balanced stats which would then redistribute the +1 to Con, which would give you:

S - 15
D - 9
C - 14
I - 8
W - 16
C - 13

First level in Sorcerer obviously. Also, a fun little fact I discovered in my last game:

Chromatic Orb is now the best spell in the game. Why? Because you can choose damage type. Including Lightning or Thunder. Tides of Chaos for advantage means you're still likely to hit even with just a +4 or +5. What does that mean? Level 4 spell slot + Chromatic Orb + Maximized Lightning damage = 48 single target damage with a 10ft knockback then another 3d8 radiant from Spirit Guardians. Every spell level increases damage by 8 and you start at 3d8, thus making it the best damage you get for a long time. And you can do it twice every short rest.

It just gets better with more Sorc levels because you maintain full spell slot progression + metamagic to twin Chromatic Orb. Biiiiig damage that will slam any BBEG (no save = legendary resistance doesn't matter) and insta-poof most mooks. Alternatively, if in melee, hit with Booming Blade, step back (eat an opp attack and either Shield or Wrath of the Storms it), Maximized Chromatic Orb. Target's turn they take Spirit Guardians, and then have the choice of standing there and doing nothing or eating a Booming Blade (which you can also maximize damage on if you want).

Or, if in melee, Shocking Grasp target (possibly at advantage in metal armor), which knocks back 10ft out of melee but still in Spirit Guardians. Then Max Chromatic Orb with quicken spell.

You're absolutely right that its a MAD as hell build, even with GoOS. But it doesn't rely on stats that much when you can Max damage and generate advantage fairly easily. But this build is beastly when it comes on line at character level 6 (Sorc 1/Cleric 5), and godlike at character level 9 (Sorc 3/Cleric 6). Every level above that just makes Spirit Guardians + Chromatic Orb/Lightning Bolt + Booming Blade that much more disgusting from upcasting.

Last edited:

Leugren

First Post
My particular build has the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength to help, which makes a big difference. But assuming not:

Str: 14
Dex: 9
Con: 13
Int: 8
Wis: 15
Cha: 13

Variant Human, +1 Wis and +1 Str (for plate). You could take Resiliency (Wisdom) if you're worried about more balanced stats which would then redistribute the +1 to Con, which would give you:

S - 15
D - 9
C - 14
I - 8
W - 16
C - 13

First level in Sorcerer obviously. Also, a fun little fact I discovered in my last game:

Chromatic Orb is now the best spell in the game. Why? Because you can choose damage type. Including Lightning or Thunder. Tides of Chaos for advantage means you're still likely to hit even with just a +4 or +5. What does that mean? Level 4 spell slot + Chromatic Orb + Maximized Lightning damage = 48 single target damage with a 10ft knockback then another 3d8 radiant from Spirit Guardians. Every spell level increases damage by 8 and you start at 3d8, thus making it the best damage you get for a long time. And you can do it twice every short rest.

It just gets better with more Sorc levels because you maintain full spell slot progression + metamagic to twin Chromatic Orb. Biiiiig damage that will slam any BBEG (no save = legendary resistance doesn't matter) and insta-poof most mooks. Alternatively, if in melee, hit with Booming Blade, step back (eat an opp attack and either Shield or Wrath of the Storms it), Maximized Chromatic Orb. Target's turn they take Spirit Guardians, and then have the choice of standing there and doing nothing or eating a Booming Blade (which you can also maximize damage on if you want).

Or, if in melee, Shocking Grasp target (possibly at advantage in metal armor), which knocks back 10ft out of melee but still in Spirit Guardians. Then Max Chromatic Orb with quicken spell.

You're absolutely right that its a MAD as hell build, even with GoOS. But it doesn't rely on stats that much when you can Max damage and generate advantage fairly easily. But this build is beastly when it comes on line at character level 6 (Sorc 1/Cleric 5), and godlike at character level 9 (Sorc 3/Cleric 6). Every level above that just makes Spirit Guardians + Chromatic Orb/Lightning Bolt + Booming Blade that much more disgusting from upcasting.
An interesting and original build. Thanks for posting the details.

Kithas

First Post
An interesting and original build. Thanks for posting the details.

Storm sorcerer instead of wild magic is even better with this build, also I highly recommend rushing to sorc7/cler2 by level 9 as Storm Sphere is the best thing for you to be concentrating on. then work to 7/6 by 13 and on from there. There is some silly synergy with Heart of the Storm and Thunderbolt Strike :)

RulesJD

First Post
Storm sorcerer instead of wild magic is even better with this build, also I highly recommend rushing to sorc7/cler2 by level 9 as Storm Sphere is the best thing for you to be concentrating on. then work to 7/6 by 13 and on from there. There is some silly synergy with Heart of the Storm and Thunderbolt Strike :)

Not really. The level 1 dip is just so, so good to be able to generate advantage almost at-will because DMs love rolling on the wild magic table. Almost all the benefits are positive or not that bad. I'll give you that Storm Sorc is solid, but that level 6 d4 off of a save, combo'd with something like a Heightened Banishment, is too good to pass up compared to 3-5 damage to nearby targets every once in a while. Trust me, this build doesn't suffer from a lack of doing damage and wild magic helps boost survivability a LOT.

At the end of the day, my original build is better for melee. Can't be concentrating on Storm Sphere and Spirit Guardians, and SG is hands down a way better spell for a melee cleric.

Kithas

First Post
Not really. The level 1 dip is just so, so good to be able to generate advantage almost at-will because DMs love rolling on the wild magic table. Almost all the benefits are positive or not that bad. I'll give you that Storm Sorc is solid, but that level 6 d4 off of a save, combo'd with something like a Heightened Banishment, is too good to pass up compared to 3-5 damage to nearby targets every once in a while. Trust me, this build doesn't suffer from a lack of doing damage and wild magic helps boost survivability a LOT.

At the end of the day, my original build is better for melee. Can't be concentrating on Storm Sphere and Spirit Guardians, and SG is hands down a way better spell for a melee cleric.

If you're wading into melee Blur is actually where you want to be. That aside a 1 level dip also gives me 10' of flying movement without oa's. the 3-5 damage is nearly equivalent to adding your cha to the damage of those spells and combos with thunderbolt strike. Also not all dm's like rolling on the table.
and if you have really bad luck on that table you turn into an infant...

RulesJD

First Post
If you're wading into melee Blur is actually where you want to be. That aside a 1 level dip also gives me 10' of flying movement without oa's. the 3-5 damage is nearly equivalent to adding your cha to the damage of those spells and combos with thunderbolt strike. Also not all dm's like rolling on the table.
and if you have really bad luck on that table you turn into an infant...

Um no. There is no better spell for a melee Cleric than Spirit Guardians. You know what's better than 3-5 damage? 3/4/5d8 Radiant damage as you upcast, that is also difficult terrain. Turning into an infant would take a percentage that is so unfathomably unlikely it really isn't a concern.

Remove ads