• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dee or Die!! Do you say dee-6 or die-6?

Do you DEE or DIE?!

• I say DEE-20, DEE-12, DEE-6 etc.

Votes: 578 88.0%
  • I say DIE-20, DIE-12, DIE-6 etc.

Votes: 44 6.7%
  • I say something else (or I'm just trying to be difficult with this poll!)

Votes: 35 5.3%

Mercule said:
The oddest I've heard, just for cadence, was one fellow who pronounced paladin, puh-LAD-in (kind like p'Aladdin, but with an even softer first sylable and a stronger second sylable).
That is odd.

I was in an Oriental Adventures game recently where the DM said "wucksa" for wuxia (should be "woosha", for those who don't know) and who insisted that the word feint had a silent 't'.

And we're still trying to figure out how to pronounce Cyre from the Eberron setting.

reanjr

First Post
d6 = deesix
drow ~ cow
bulette = boolay

and to throw in another one: THAC0 = thacko (or for all those drow = dro people, thackow)

d6 because the d doesn't stand for something, it's a notation. Similar to how one pronounces M16A2.

drow because I still can't see any reason someone would put a 'w' on the end unless they intended it that way.

bulette is only because that's the "correct" way to pronounce it. I would think it would be pronounced boo-let, but hey...

And THAC0 because it seemed the easiest thing to do.

Here's one. How do you pronounce daemon? (I'll hold my pronunciation till others get a chance.)

Last edited:

reanjr

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
I say "duh," as in "Roll, duh, 5" or "Roll, duh, 10."

Are you being serious?

Because I find that hilarious!

...sorry...

There's nothing wrong with it, I've just never heard anybody use that before. That's great.

reanjr

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
To me, it looks like a French word, so I agree with Herremann: boo-lay. I will admit, though, that half the time, we pronounce it "bullet," as in a round discharged from a firearm. Then again, out of laziness,

ixitxachitl is "eat-:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: -skittle

The French would pronounce it boo-lay only if there weren't the -te on the end (bulet). So, it still should be boo-let.

Ish-it-SHACH-it'l (primary pronunciation given in 2e MM, though other pronunciations were given as well)

reanjr

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
Thanks Harlock. That's emabarrassing.

Chitine: how do you say it? I've been saying ch'-teen, but like archon, I think this should be kee-teen.

Balor: from Celtic myth, this should be b'lor.

My wife refuses to call deep gnomes svirfneblin. She call them Smurf-nibblin'.

Yrthak . . . what do you do with that?!

like chitin
but in Celtic it wasn't spelled that way, was it? I pronounce it bay-lore
svirfneblin is phonetic to me, with accent on the svirf
pretty much like yer-THACK, except no real vowel between the y and r.

reanjr

First Post
Aeric said:
I think Yrthak would be either "yer-thak" or "ur-thak."

Worst monster name ever? Catobeplas. Just kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? ;)

Always said it cat-oh-BLEEP-us, though I think it would more correctly be pronounced cat-OH-bluh-pus

jeffh

Adventurer
d6 = Dee six

Chitin = KITE-in (and similarly, chimera = ki-MER-a, as heard many times in Icewind Dale II)

For Catoblepas and Ixitxchitl, I'd use the Mystaran names (even in games not set in Mystara), Nekrozon and Devilfish, if they were to show up. Neither has appeared in my game though there were Ixzan in my Birthright game.

Archon = ARC-on. Is there really anyone who pronounces it any other way
:confused: ?

Drow definitely rhymes with cow. I don't care if you think it sounds stupid, to my ear "Dro" is much worse.

I pronounce Yrthak "ur-THAK" with the U sound being barely audible.

Blibdoolpoolp isn't difficult, just long; pronounce it exactly the way it's spelled. Emphasize the B and P sounds slightly for a watery effect.

Captain Tagon

First Post
reanjr said:
Here's one. How do you pronounce daemon? (I'll hold my pronunciation till others get a chance.)

Depending on my mood...day-mon or just demon. I bounce between the two.

Worst strang pronunciation I've seen is this guy who calls Paladins puh-LAH-din

Remove ads