• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

defensive casting, not rolling?

wraith8

First Post
Realizing that i only miss on a 1 i forgot to roll my three rolls for concentrating on three of my defensive spells. My opponent says i didnt cast them defensive because of my lack of rolls. What do you think?

Arc

First Post
It's a real kicker, but if you don't say you're casting defensively, then you aren't casting defensively. Even if you only fail on a 1.

ForceUser

Explorer
The trick is to get your Concentration skill high enough such that even if you roll a 1, you succeed. For instance, my 14th level Cleric has a +22 Concentration (16 ranks, +3 Constitution bonus, +3 Skill Focus (concentration)). As long as I declare that I'm casting defensively I automatically succeed. Just make sure you declare it.

wraith8

First Post
No, its just my dm has rules that even if you always succeed you fail on a 1 and even if you always fail you succeed on a 20. You understand.

ForceUser

Explorer
wraith8 said:
No, its just my dm has rules that even if you always succeed you fail on a 1 and even if you always fail you succeed on a 20. You understand.
Gotcha. That's a house rule; standard D&D doesn't work that way. Bummer.

Fenes 2

First Post
I'd tell my DM that SOP is casting defensively, and that I had to tell if it wasn't the case. I mean, honestly, what experienced spellcaster would forget to cast defensively just because a player was a bit absentminded?

ForceUser

Explorer
Fenes 2 said:
I'd tell my DM that SOP is casting defensively, and that I had to tell if it wasn't the case. I mean, honestly, what experienced spellcaster would forget to cast defensively just because a player was a bit absentminded?
Nah, I think you should declare it. If you get whacked and lose a spell once or twice, you won't forget to mention it the next time. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads