• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defiance - Syfy

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sadly real Science Fiction series are dead.

Cue flamewar over what constitutes "real" science fiction.

Instead we get more and more "relationship dramas" in every setting possible

Because, you know, soap operas are somehow stunningly unpopular...

I never thought I would say this, but Disney is now the best hope for SciFi.

See previously noted flamewar over "real" sci-fi, 'cause you're just begging for someone to inform you how Star Wars is more "space fantasy" than science fiction. :p

When Disney decides to make a show based on, say, Niven and Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye, then you'll have me thinking they're doing real science fiction.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I wanted to like this show, but it just doesn't know what it wants to be. It has Romeo and Juliet, Othello, wookies, even has Han Solo as the main character. Too many cliches for me to mention in one post. I foresee another one season wonder.

Skryme

First Post
There are parts that turn into predictible tropey scifi, but I confess I'm still watching. One thing I don't quite understand is how the city of St. Louis is entirely underground as a result of terraforming, yet the Arch is still above ground. I would have thought that terraforming might have covered all of the world's cities. Sadly, it's no Farscape, but I haven't given up hope yet.

ggroy

First Post
I'm still watching too, albeit with declining interest. (I'll probably dvr the rest of the season, even if the episodes end up being stockpiled and unwatched).

Even if one removed all the sci-fi specific tropes/trappings from Defiance, the underlying writing and story telling hasn't been particularly captivating to me.

In contrast, I'm finding the new episodes of Continuum and Orphan Black to be more captivating and exciting, than the new episodes of Defiance.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I must confess that I AM a tad annoyed at yet another "bleached-white" alien race- the Minbari of Bab5; the Ori Priors and Wraiths of the Stargate shows, and now the Castithans.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It always an issue.
I think it's an issue, not the issue. Basically every television show is being squeezed for money. And genre shows probably distribute that money a bit differently (i.e. less to the cast, more to effects). But if AMC can afford zombie makeup and outdoor shooting on a weekly basis for TWD, they could afford a sci-fi show if the right one presented itself. Same with HBO and GoT.

I must confess that I AM a tad annoyed at yet another "bleached-white" alien race- the Minbari of Bab5; the Ori Priors and Wraiths of the Stargate shows, and now the Castithans.
How many ways do you think there are to apply makeup to the human body, make it look weird enough that it reads as alien, but make it so that it works practically and can be taken seriously? I mean, every show with humanlike aliens is derivative of Star Trek on that level, because they already tried everything.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, lets just stick to the bleached white monochrome look...you do realize the human eye can discern @1M colors?

So, why not black monochrome (like Drow or Atevi)?

Blue monochrome? Red? Purple? Green?

Break it down further- turquoise or cobalt blue; tomato or scarlet red; lilacs or royal purple; lime or forest green. There are lots of options.

Just...stop with the bleach.

Remove ads