Deserting Paradise

doghead

thotd
So I stumbled across Deserting Paradise recently and decided I wanted to play it.

What's it about? It’s about a group of punks who dabbled in the occult, unlocked the secret to immortality, and as a result need to escape The Man and get out of The City.

How does it play? I have no idea. I have a feeling that it could be great fun if you like creating your own nightmare and don't need a lot of rules.

You can read about it here, and get the .pdf here.

And if you are interested, or even just curious, post up and say hello. Surely there must be at least three or four other lunatics here.

thotd

GlassEye

Adventurer
This sounds really cool. And I need to play something besides standard D&D/Pathfinder style fantasy. So, here's hoping a couple more people post interest!

doghead

thotd
It does look cool, doesn't it. And the fact that it is quite different is part of the appeal for me as well.

From what I can see, rolling doesn't play a big part of the game. So with absolutely nothing to base this one, I am hoping it will involve a few post to set up a plan of action. A couple of rolls to see how it goes. A bit of re-adjustment, another roll or two then some sort of resolution. So perhaps a dozen posts. But as things always take longer than you expect, so 2 dozen posts to wrap up an episode. At 3-4 posts a week, that would mean about 8 weeks per episode. Given a bit of time for setup, we might even get an episode done before the Christmas madness. That would be a pretty good outcome.

So how does 3 posts a week sound?

We could have four assuming everyone is still interested after a read (and I am guessing that you might be). Four sounds like enough to start with.

What do you think?

thotd

Maerdwyn

First Post
Works for me. Initially thinking about playing a girl named Meg, with a high Borrow score and "The Universe Delivers" power. Might change depending on where the City goes.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Finally got a chance to sit down and start reading the rules. (I'm gearing up for the start of the new school year and a brand new crop of 5th graders.) It sounds interesting (although the style of writing is a tad puerile). Once I've had a chance to read everything, I'll chime in with more thoughts. :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
I've read it. I enjoyed the style; thought it appropriate for the style of game/characters. My first thought was lower Beg & Borrow, higher Steal, and the magic Reaching Through Mirrors. Not sure about Unfinished Business. I would have to think on it a bit more.

doghead

thotd
OK. Lets get this City started. I'd suggest we each pick a descriptor or two from each of the categories. Then I, or whoever takes the role of The City and The Man, puts together the final selection.

So, I like Ruled By Fear, Things that go Bump in the Night and Abandoned Districts - a once imperious metropolis, now a pale reflection of its former self. Hollowed out by economic and social misfortune, its residents cling to some pretence of normality and try to ignore the things that have moved in to fill the empty, cold dark spaces that litter the cityscape.

And just in case someone wants to play the The City and The Man ...

Tommy is not so good with people. He tries to have as little to do with them as possible, especially strangers (Beg 1). Its not so bad with friends, with friends he can always repay favours (Borrow 2). Best of all is just to have nothing to do with them at all (Steal 4) But animals, animals he has always seemed to have a connection with. And on "That Day", the connection blossomed into something more (Barking in Tongues, Form of the Beast). At first Tommy thought that he had been blessed. Now he is not so sure. There are things that don't like what Tommy has, they don't like him having it, and they want to make him regret ever accepting it. Tommy needs to get out, and get out fast. But first he has some Unfinished Business to attend to.

Its is not Brutus's fault that he turned on his owner, Bud. Sure Bud was a sadistic bully and deserved it. But Brutus doesn't deserve to be put down for what Tommy did. Tommy has to get Brutus out before he is put down. Tommy also needs to say goodbye to Missy. He needs to tell her how he feels before he goes, and the opportunity is gone forever. And he has to find the Hobbo. The Hobbo knows things. He might just have some answers, and more than money and weapons and wheels, they need answers if they are going to have a chance once they get out of the city.

thotd

Maerdwyn

First Post
OK. Lets get this City started. I'd suggest we each pick a descriptor or two from each of the categories. Then I, or whoever takes the role of The City and The Man, puts together the final selection.

So, I like Ruled By Fear, Things that go Bump in the Night and Abandoned Districts - a once imperious metropolis, now a pale reflection of its former self. Hollowed out by economic and social misfortune, its residents cling to some pretence of normality and try to ignore the things that have moved in to fill the empty, cold dark spaces that litter the cityscape.

And just in case someone wants to play the The City and The Man ...

Tommy is not so good with people. He tries to have as little to do with them as possible, especially strangers (Beg 1). Its not so bad with friends, with friends he can always repay favours (Borrow 2). Best of all is just to have nothing to do with them at all (Steal 4) But animals, animals he has always seemed to have a connection with. And on "That Day", the connection blossomed into something more (Barking in Tongues, Form of the Beast). At first Tommy thought that he had been blessed. Now he is not so sure. There are things that don't like what Tommy has, they don't like him having it, and they want to make him regret ever accepting it. Tommy needs to get out, and get out fast. But first he has some Unfinished Business to attend to.

Its is not Brutus's fault that he turned on his owner, Bud. Sure Bud was a sadistic bully and deserved it. But Brutus doesn't deserve to be put down for what Tommy did. Tommy has to get Brutus out before he is put down. Tommy also needs to say goodbye to Missy. He needs to tell her how he feels before he goes, and the opportunity is gone forever. And he has to find the Hobbo. The Hobbo knows things. He might just have some answers, and more than money and weapons and wheels, they need answers if they are going to have a chance once they get out of the city.

thotd

Very similar to what I was thinking about for the city, although I think I had Pervasive Watchfulness and Ugly Ghettos (2 points each) alongside TTGBITN. Not sure of the conceptual difference between perpetual fear and pervasive watchfulness from the point of view of the watched, but I like the concept of Abandoned Districts more than I like Ugly Ghettos. Maybe a 2 point version of Abandoned Districts?

For the Man, I'd be interested in something like Delegation is My Weapon, Fealty Beyond the Veil, Backroom Puppeteer, but I will be happy to stick a finger in the eye of, and then run like hell from someone with any combination of the traits in the PDF.

I need to work on Meg a bit more, but will post her soon.

Remove ads