Designing an integrated EN World dice-roller

HandofMystra

First Post
how to handle mistake posts

I become frustrated with dice rollers when I make a mistake. I have used the Myth-Weaver dice roller and some of the expressions get complicated.
One of the nice things about the MW site is that you can do dice rolls based on your characters sheet [sblock=example complicated roll] [sd=w3f]-2 +2 +1d6[/sd] would be roll a full attack with weapon 3, -2 to hit, +2 to damage +1d6 to damage (e.g in 3.5 terms power attacking for 2 with a one-handed weapon and getting 1d6 sneak). [/sblock]
These are complicated expressions; I will make posting errors in die rolls. I would like it if there were a way to denote erroneous entries: if you were doing rolls as individual attachments maybe there could be an [ignore] tag that still posts the roll (for the sake of honesty) but marks it as an error (maybe with strikethrough)

- HoM defending people messing up for 45 years

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
If you have the wrong modifiers, I'd just have you keep the d20 roll and correct the modifiers. Happens all the time in 4e I find. In me LEB game the PC's frequently forget situational bonuses.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought you guys might like an update on this.

We've almost finished the Gamers Seeking Gamers system, and the dice roller is the next project.

I'm envisaging a semi-graphical interface to make dice rolling really easy. Nice colourful dice buttons, no need to write long complicated BB codes or anything. Just tell a popup what you want to roll (with modifiers), it rolls them and presents them as an uneditable attachment to your post.

The results will be presented graphically as well as numerically. I've spent the last day creating a graphical icon for each die result. Here are some examples of the images - I tried to make them clear and simple.

d4_3.png

d6_5.png

d8_2.png

d10_9.png

d12_11.png

d20_17.png

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Those look nice!
so the option to roll dice would be above the text, like the option to attack a file, then you would click on it, tell it what you want to roll (maybe see the icons you have created) add modifiers and it will roll?

I would definitely like that :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep, that's pretty much it! I'm trying to keep it simple and idiot-proof, but able to handle any combination of die rolls.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
it looks great! only problem is that ant time you try to idiot proof something one comes along and proves you wrong (ha!)

renau1g

First Post
The only thing I wonder is if you can see what modifiers were used by the roller. i.e. if someone accidentally rolled 1d20+10 instead of 1d20+5 could you tell or would only the final result be displayed?

Here's how Mythweavers looks after the roll:

Dice Roll: 1d20+8
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 9)

Edit: Apparently I was typing too fast, but I didn't mean it looks god.... I mean how could I know what she looks like... oh wait:

Alanis-Morissette-Dogma.14.jpg

Remove ads