Deva or Aasimar?

Deva or Aasimar?

• Deva

Votes: 189 67.0%
  • Aasimar

Votes: 93 33.0%

Serendipity

Explorer
I do think that the 4e aasimar/deva will be somewhat different from earlier editions (like the reincarnation stuff), but I can guess what the designers were thinking. Aasimar seems to be a somewhat unpopular and hard to pronounce name; since the aasimon/angels were reconceptualized, the word deva was just lying around waiting to also be repurposed.

*nodnod*
It just seems odd to me - I've never in decades of playing met anyone who mispronounced Aasimar....or Deva for that matter. :)
Digging what little I've heard about the new Aasimar flavor/fluff so far, much more than the Tiefling.

Derro

First Post
What was the aasimar's first appearance? I remember the tiefling from 2e Planescape but not the aasimar. Were they added in 3e or was it some 2e supplement that I never bothered with?

Shroomy

Adventurer
What was the aasimar's first appearance? I remember the tiefling from 2e Planescape but not the aasimar. Were they added in 3e or was it some 2e supplement that I never bothered with?

I'm pretty sure they first appeared in the Planescape MC Vol 2.

Serendipity

Explorer

Planewalker's Handbook IIRC - I know they were in other 2e (Planescape) products but that's the earliest that springs to mind.

caudor

Adventurer
"Dee-va" is the sound that came to my mind when I first saw the word. Images from the movie 'The Fifth Element' immediately came to mind.

Of course, now I know to pronounce it as day-va after reading this thread.

I still have no idea have to pronounce tiefling. Tie-fling or Teaf-ling? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm drifting. I like deva better than aasimar. Aasimar just sounded...made up.

Green Knight

First Post
"Dee-va" is the sound that came to my mind when I first saw the word. Images from the movie 'The Fifth Element' immediately came to mind.

Heh, I'm gonna make a blue-skinned Deva Bard named Plavalaguna. :D

Anyway, what stats do people think they should have? Personally I'd like to see them closer to their 2E versions, with Str +2, Wis +2 as opposed to their 3E versions, with Wis +2, Cha +2. Agree? Disagree? Think they should have some other bonus?

That One Guy

First Post
C) Is pronounceable without sounding like you're trying to curse. ;) (It's "day-vuh," for the record, not "diva" like Mariah Carey.)
I actually pronounced it however I wanted to at the moment. I used to say 'diva'. Then for a while I said it correctly. Somewhere around reading Aspirin I started saying Deva like the word Devil. I didn't like how that rolled, so I ended up back w/ the (evidentially) correct way! Huzzah me!

As far as the poll goes, I really couldn't care. Celestial-touched things never really interested me. Unless they were hounds.

Last edited:

Mighty Veil

First Post
I like Maiar or even more Valar, but I understand why those LotR copyrighted names can't be used. I actually like aasimar more than tiefling (don't like the name tiefling). I like aasimar more than deva, even though I don't know the names background. Was it a play on another word?

Remove ads