• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dex vs. AC

muffin_of_chaos

First Post
Sorry, obvious question that I must ask:

When a power is a melee attack that says that the to-hit roll is "Dex vs. AC," does that mean that one makes a standard melee attack roll and substitutes dexterity for strength? Or is it just a dexterity roll?

I missed the answer somehow.

Cirex

First Post
You use the dexterity type of attack, like if using a ranged weapon or a melee weapon with "weapon finesse"*.

*I know it doesn't exist at 4e, just trying to explain myself.

baberg

First Post
As I understand it, you would roll d20, add your Dexterity modifier (not Dexterity score) and if the result is greater than your target's AC then you hit.

EDIT: As somebody below has corrected, you also add 1/2 your level rounded down as always

Last edited:

muffin_of_chaos

First Post
Heh, I'm getting two different answers.

I think Cirex is right because otherwise there'd be no point in weapon proficiencies for a Rogue, eh?

I think they need to make it less vague.

Scalding

First Post
I think you should also add the weapon's accuracy modifier as appropriate. A sword might have an accuracy modifier of +3, for example.

So that's 1d20 + 1/2 character level + dex mod + weapon accuracy.

muffin_of_chaos said:
I think they need to make it less vague.
I would imagine that the correct method of making attack rolls might, just might get a mention in the PHB and therefore would be perfectly clear. Instead of what people are guessing/interpolating/interpreting from a few excerpts:p
But all attack rolls have a unified mechanic, based on one of the six ability scores. So far it is thought to be
PHB Lite said:
(1D20+) Underlying Ability Modifier + 1/2 Level
and as all DnD stuff you need to add any relevant modifiers such as feats, situation, etc.
I think Cirex is right because otherwise there'd be no point in weapon proficiencies for a Rogue, eh?
When you are proficient in a weapon you get to add a bonus to your attack roll of +1 to +3 (depending on the weapon).
Hope that helps, have read through the Pre-release rules compilation and that answers a lot of questions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads