Diablo III

Elephant

First Post
AMD doesn't have any high-end desktop chips right now. Their top-of-the-line desktop chips are priced the same as Intel's upper mid-range for a reason (every quad-core Phenom is chepaer than every Q9xxx , and every tri-core Phenom is cheaper than an E8500).

But there are lots of reasons why limitted quantities of the top-end AMD parts sell. Fanboys. Upgrades of existing systems. People who want the cheapest quad-core system they can get (even if spending just a little more for Intel would get better performance).

I'm not so sure you can draw any valid conclusions about relative performance between chip offerings when the performance tests are gimmicked...

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'm not so sure you can draw any valid conclusions about relative performance between chip offerings when the performance tests are gimmicked...
Benchmarks, always something to be wary of. :)

However, across a wide range of real-world applications and games as well, Intel has been leading for a while now. Too long, IMO (i.e., I don't like near-monopolies.)

I truly wish it were otherwise. AMD had a similar level of dominance, performance-wise, only a short time ago. But, as drothgery also mentioned, not the resources to fully push that lead.

drothgery

First Post

Most comprehensive CPU reviews use synthetic benchmarks, but they also use results from real software. Where it doesn't really matter if Valve or Blizzard or Microsoft or the Mozilla group or Adobe have built in EvilStuffThatFavorsIntel, because that's still the software that you're actually using.

Elephant

First Post
Most comprehensive CPU reviews use synthetic benchmarks, but they also use results from real software. Where it doesn't really matter if Valve or Blizzard or Microsoft or the Mozilla group or Adobe have built in EvilStuffThatFavorsIntel, because that's still the software that you're actually using.

Do the "real software" benchmarks in "most" reviews show such a commanding lead in both performance and price/performance ratio? For that matter, would you mind posting a couple of links to the comprehensive CPU reviews you've been reading lately? I'm not trying to be snarky or start a fight here, but I just don't see any facts in your post.

Granted, I'm not in a position to generalize about CPU reviews - I haven't been researching processor performance lately - but if I were, I'd be throwing out any review that included PCMark.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Do the "real software" benchmarks in "most" reviews show such a commanding lead in both performance and price/performance ratio? For that matter, would you mind posting a couple of links to the comprehensive CPU reviews you've been reading lately? I'm not trying to be snarky or start a fight here, but I just don't see any facts in your post.

Granted, I'm not in a position to generalize about CPU reviews - I haven't been researching processor performance lately - but if I were, I'd be throwing out any review that included PCMark.
See here. Particularly pages 7 through 12 will be of interest to you, in this context. Depressing, but well, kinda interesting I guess. :(

The 6400+ is AMD's top of the line dual core desktop processor. The Intel e8400 is within $5 of precisely the same price, around here. Compare, and weep. Everything from speed to power consumption to heat to overclocking capacity. . .

You can find similarly brutal comparisons, but with Phenoms and Core 2 Quads. Especially the good ol' Q6600. Ouch.

Enforcer

Explorer
So what do others speculate for the other classes? I kinda want to see the Druid, as that was always my favorite D2 class. The assassin was neat too.

drothgery

First Post
So what do others speculate for the other classes? I kinda want to see the Druid, as that was always my favorite D2 class. The assassin was neat too.

The Diablo series seems to prefer to avoid pure retreads (or at least it did from 1 to 2), but does keep some ideas around, so I'd guess...

- some variant on the blaster mage (ala Wizard and Sorceress)
- some variant on a heavy-armored warrior (ala Warrior or Paladin)
- someone who's primarily a ranged combatant (ala Rogue or Amazon)

Janx

Hero
Oddly enough, this thread died before the game was actually released. Didn't it come out like just last year?

In any event, the console version was rated better than the PC version. Apparently the controls were better, and the PC had some stupid pay-to-play market place thing going on. I hear rumors they are yanking that on the PC.

I liked the 360 version, but I find it a bit repetitive once you beat the game, it's just go back and do it again to get better gear. I'm back to playing Minecraft 360

Remove ads