• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disciplined Hobgoblins

slobo777

First Post
Just checking I'm reading this correct.

For the playtest hobgoblin, "Disciplined" is an Action (as well as a trait?). That means that any hobgoblin can spend an Action to grant another Disciplined ally Advantage?

As far as I can see, this ability is only worthwhile* if the ally's attack is significantly better than the hobgoblin's. This might happen due to some temporary condition (or even due to the hobgoblin being denied the option to attack).

But the action is not something the hobgoblin would normally* use, because it is worse* than simply attacking. It's a kind of backup option that might give flexibility . . .

* Talking optimisation, not RP.

tlantl

First Post
The way it's written is that a hobgoblin gives advantage to it's allies against one opponent within his reach. So if a hobgoblin decides to rush from behind cover to attack someone he can direct fire from his allies toward that target, giving them advantage.

It's one of those marking maneuvers the devs seem so fond of. As long as one monster is willing to sacrifice itself all of his friends can gang up on a particular target.

I guess the important thing is that the marking hobgob shouldn't give up his attack to facilitate others gaining advantage.

It makes no sense for this to be listed under actions, though. I can see where the confusion comes from.

If you determine that the mark is that hobgoblin's action then having multiple attacks against that target is the best way to use it.

Personally I see this as a trait not an action.

Last edited:

ComradeGnull

First Post
The way it's written is that a hobgoblin gives advantage to it's allies against one opponent within his reach. So if a hobgoblin decides to rush from behind cover to attack someone he can direct fire from his allies toward that target, giving them advantage.

It's one of those marking maneuvers the devs seem so fond of. As long as one monster is willing to sacrifice itself all of his friends can gang up on a particular target.

I guess the important thing is that the marking hobgob doesn't give up his attack to facilitate others gaining advantage.

It makes no sense for this to be listed under actions, though. I can see where the confusion comes from.

If you determine that the mark is that hobgoblin's action then having multiple attacks against that target is the best way to use it.

Personally I see this as a trait not an action.

It makes sense to list it under actions because marking the target is an action- just like the Mob Tactics action that a Human Commoner has. That would imply that a Hobgoblin can mark a target during its turn OR attack, but not both.

However, the Hobgoblin ability seems a bit weak- the advantage only applies to one attack, so if you have four Hobs, one can't give up his attack to provide advantage for several attackers- after the first attack roll is made by a friendly, you need someone to re-mark the target again.

I think I would go for the same fix that Mob Tactics uses- don't remove the mark after one attack roll, wait until the end of the round. That also gives it nice synergy with the Hobgoblin Leader's multi-attack- one grunt to mark targets allows the leader to get two attacks with advantage.

OP is right that as written, the ability is quite pointless by default- you're giving up an attack roll for yourself to gain an attack roll for someone else with the same attack bonus if you just have stock hobgoblins.

tlantl

First Post
If this action works as an action replacing an attack with nothing but some Hobgob standing next to a PC pointing his finger every round so his buddies can get an attack with advantage then it is as useless as it seems.

I'd think that something called disciplined would be more in line with a small unit fighting together to add to the group's defenses and to overwhelm the target with numbers.

If a group of three or more attack a single target they get an ac bonus or advantage on attacks.

I think this would do a better job of showing them as a disciplined unit, rather than having one of them run out to be slaughtered so the rest can get an attack with advantage until the suicide was complete.

slobo777

First Post
That also gives it nice synergy with the Hobgoblin Leader's multi-attack- one grunt to mark targets allows the leader to get two attacks with advantage.

Except the hobgoblin leader is not Disciplined, so would not get advantage :-S

All fixable with a few tweaks I'm sure.

Thanks for everyone's replies, it's good to know I'm reading this and seeing the same things as at least some other posters!

Remove ads