• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion - General Discussion Thread '09

Boddynock

First Post
Nasty! You know, I've never really paid attention to the destrachan before (never met one) but that would certainly be a surprising opponent to come up against.

Remind Eusebius to leave behind his beloved spiked chain, however. ;)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I remember pendrake and rath talking about it a long time ago, but, i dont think it was mentioned then either what it was or what was said. I read your perposed bbeg and I must say that it is a most eeeeevillll creature! good choice!.(IMHO)

Dire Tadpole

First Post
Questions about crafting and jobs

During a discusion in the RDI about the price to craft Mithral Chain the question arose about the price of materials. The crafting rules in the SRD requires 1/3 the price in materials, but the examples given in the rules and mechanics thread all show half the price.

When crafting mundane gear using the craft point system, do you pay 1/3 or 1/2 the purchase price in materials?

Yes, under the job system you can earn 5 XP/week. Huzzah - you'll reach 2nd level in just under 4 years. Add on 1 DM credit each month and you can reach 4th level in 4 years. You'd be doing about as well as Cade Jenner, without ever leaving your barstool.

I do not believe an XP reward is listed in the job system rules in the rules and mechanics thread. If there is such a reward, I would like to know. Julien is currently engaged as a craftsman.

On that note. What is the preferred method of adding job rewards to a character sheet. Should I be updating his sheet weekly, or should I calculate his reward just prior to leaving on an adventure? At this point, all I have done is not on the character sheet the real life date he started the job.

Boddynock

First Post
Dire Tadpole,

I've just replied to your post in the RDI. Although the Craft description does say half price, I was told some years ago, when I asked the same question, that upon further reflection it had been changed to one third materials price for mundane items. It remains one half materials cost for magical items.

As to XP for the job system, it is listed, but it's buried in the text there somewhere. Have a look at the first post in Tarag's Forge - I included the relevant sections in an sblock (or two).

Good luck with all this. Even though the crafting rules and the job system are not fully developed, it's still fun to play a crafter! :cool:

Trouvere

Explorer
It is rather tucked out of sight.
Rules and Mechanics said:
For every full week in real life (starting with the day the character makes a post in an appropriate downtime thread, such as the Red Dragon Inn or his shop thread), a character on a job, but not on adventure gains some benefits, usually money and some other benefits (such as Craft Points, minor favors, and the like), and 5 XP per week.
My question, though, is whether you are required to purchase a shop to perform those jobs that mention one.

Boddynock

First Post
It is rather tucked out of sight.My question, though, is whether you are required to purchase a shop to perform those jobs that mention one.
Yes, you are. From the Job System:

CRAFTSMAN
You are a craftsman, making a living on creating and selling items.
Requirements: At least 1 Craft skill at 4 ranks.
gp/week: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Craft skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You gain 1 Craft Point per week per rank in your highest Craft skill.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell items in a separate thread while not adventuring. You must possess artisan tools. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of common goods (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.

MAGECRAFTER (someone creating magical items)
You are a spellcaster, making a living on creating and selling magic items.
Requirements: At least 2 Item Creation feats, spellcaster level 3+
gp/week: 3.125 times the number of Item Creation feats you have.
Special Payment: You gain 6.25 Craft Points per week per Item Creation feat you possess.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell magic items of the appropriate types in a separate thread while not adventuring. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of minor magical items (0 level potions or scrolls) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.

Trouvere

Explorer
Yes, that's what I thought. It's just not arranged very well, with the mention of a shop being subordinate to the separate thread clause.

The whole thing doesn't really make a lot of sense. Your revenue stream comes from offstage sales of trivial items to NPCs. Only PCs will ever appear on-stage in your shop. But you don't need a shop to arrange a private transaction with another PC (you don't actually need a shop to craft something for yourself, after all).

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Ah, but the shop's not about crafting for oneself or others - it's to provide a venue for the modest income which is meant to be a boost while PCs are between games.

What I'd like to do is come up with some rules which make the job system a more meaty alternative to adventuring. Tarag's whole raison d'etre is crafting magnificent weapons and armour for his god. The adventuring is only a means to gain further life experience to that end.

Theroc

First Post
Hey, I was just wondering, I saw that we've about five level 1 or 2 characters in the RDI. Does that mean all we'd need now is an adventure and a DM?

Trouvere

Explorer
Ah, but the shop's not about crafting for oneself or others - it's to provide a venue for the modest income which is meant to be a boost while PCs are between games.
Yes, that's what I mean, though I didn't phrase it very clearly. Since owning a shop is a requirement to claim the NPC-derived revenue stream (and there's no real need to post a shop thread if you never intend to sell to fellow PCs), the rule regarding purchase of a shop is poorly placed in the Special section about starting a new thread.

The job entries ought to be edited to read:
CRAFTSMAN
You are a craftsman, making a living on creating and selling items.
You are assumed to have a selection of common goods (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.
Requirements: At least 1 Craft skill at 4 ranks. You must possess artisan tools. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
gp/week: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Craft skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You gain 1 Craft Point per week per rank in your highest Craft skill.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell items in a separate thread while not adventuring.

and similarly for the others.

I do wonder just who is buying all those scrolls of 0th level spells from magecrafters, though!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads