Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
The GP reward is fine and all, but the impetus on that lies on my players. If they so choose to give no GP at all, it kinda seems like they're leaving the PC that helped them in the lurch.
True. That's a good point. Of course, unless the map attacks them or something, the PC who helped didn't really have any opportunity cost for popping in the thread and rolling a Kn: Geo check either, so gaining nothing for it isn't too bad of an outcome. It makes the PCs who choose to pay nothing look a bit like ungrateful asses, but no one is really harmed or inconvenienced.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I believe Bront asked for some character statistics some time ago. Well, we finally caught up on the character approvals, so here are the highest level characters in LEW as of now:

Tenebrynn Glimmersight, Eldritch Knight 4 / Fighter 1 / Wizard (Diviner) 5 [Erekose13] Level: 10
Rinaldo di Senzio, Rogue 5 / Trader 5 [Velmont] Level: 10
Ashnar Mortist, Paragon (Human) 3 / Wizard (Evoker) 6 [Knight Otu] Level: 9
Ironwolf Kinkaid, Psychic Warrior 9 [Patlin] Level: 9
Zaeryl Alant, Psion (Shaper) 9 [Rystil Arden] Level: 9
Vanitri Duskrider, Fighter 1 / Horizon Walker 3 / Ranger 3 / Rogue 2 [Bront] Level: 9
Eternity, Psion (Egoist) 8 [Erekose13] Level: 8
Charlarn, Cleric (Phyrah) 6 / Ranger 2 [Steve Jung] Level: 8
Ignatious O'Reilly, Loremaster 1 / Wizard (Diviner) 7 [Manzanita] Level: 8
Opale di Senzio, Wizard (Illusionist) 7 [Velmont] Level: 7
Persephone, Paragon (Human) 3 / Sorcerer 4 [Manzanita] Level: 7
Almayce, Cleric (Gliran) 3 / Mystic Theurge (Gliran) 1 / Wizard 3 [Xael] Level: 7
Hulgyr, Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Paragon (Orc) 3 [B4cchus] Level: 7
Zack Grimm, Barbarian 2 / Fighter 5 [Dalamar] Level: 7
Juliana Hayes, Psychic Warrior 5 / Warmind 2 [Bront] Level: 7
Ducane Grimm, Fighter 4 / Psychic Warrior 2 / War Mind 1 [Xael] Level: 7
Nars Blackbeard, Fighter 1 / Rogue 5 [Slagmortar] Level: 6
Michael Grannion, Cleric (Sela) 5 / Ranger 1 [ajanders] Level: 6
Gorefoot, Barbarian 2 / Horizon Walker 1 / Ranger 3 [Icycool] Level: 6
Father Eusebius, Cleric (Hyrag) 3 / Monk 3 [Boddynock] Level: 6
Planus Aniad, Cleric (Mongrel) 6 [Slagmortar] Level: 6
Nodis Thea, Psion (Shaper) 6 [Someone] Level: 6
Rodimus, Monk 6 [Dalamar] Level: 6
Devlin Magruder, Rogue 6 [Dungannon] Level: 6
Beamer Glimmereye, Sorcerer 6 [Slagmortar] Level: 6
Banion Lorish, Soulknife 6 [Patlin] Level: 6
Eanos, Monk 5 [Jkason] Level: 5
Lasair Alant, Psion (Telepath) 5 [Rystil Arden] Level: 5
Nurlan Naibi, Bard 4 / Fighter 1 [Orsal] Level: 5
Ogrin Brutalfist, Fighter (Thug) 2 / Rogue 3 [rln] Level: 5
Rasereit Vundinn, Barbarian 4 / Fighter 1 [Rae ArdGaoth] Level: 5
Rowan McTavish, Barbarian 3 / Fighter 1 / Ranger 1 [Manzanita] Level: 5
Tor, Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Sorcerer 1 [Patlin] Level: 5
Troi Delmontes, Ranger 5 [Gnomeworks] Level: 5
Nezrak Duskstar, Wizard 5 [Xael] Level: 5

Inactive:
Sir Ishmael of the Wooden Sword, Dragon Disciple (Blue) 1 / Fighter 2 / Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1 [nimisgod] Level: 6
Boog Sammas, Psion (Telepath) 6 [El Jefe] Level: 6
Rurik Axebender, Fighter 5 [dpdx] Level: 5
Sara, Fighter 4 / Rogue 1 [Kahuna Burger] Level: 5

Was that what you were interested in, Bront?

Boddynock

First Post
A point of clarification from my learned colleagues. :)

If crafting an item during an adventure, are Craft Points expended or must the down time be accounted for in game?

As an example, if Tarag scribes a scroll (yes, he has the feat) on the day that the party is recovering at an inn before going back to the mage's tower, does that cost Craft Points?

What about other item creation feats, such as Craft Wondrous Item?

If it were a matter of making a MW rapier for another member of the party, would he follow the normal crafting rules (a la PHB) for the amount of work done and the time taken to do that work?

What if he started work on a MW rapier, spending, say, a week on it. He's got a +14 bonus for working on metal weapons, so with a take 10 he'd have a check result of 24. With a DC 15 for the rapier component, and a cost of 200 sp, he'd actually have a craft result of 360 - well over the required amount for the rapier, which means he could finish early. If he then started on the MW component, could he complete a portion of it and then, when the adventure was finished, complete the MW portion by spending pro rata Craft Points?

Thanks for your consideration! :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Craft points are not expended during an adventure, and in-adventure time is used instead.
Correct. Also, at the GM's discretion, the PC can use CP at a reasonable break point as a surrogate or a "I've been working on this for a while..." thing, just like might be done in the RDI. Of course, we usually frown upon a GM who gives infinite in-game time at the end of the adventure after everything is over and doesn't charge CP, essentially taking away the cost of crafting.

orsal

LEW Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Correct. Also, at the GM's discretion, the PC can use CP at a reasonable break point as a surrogate or a "I've been working on this for a while..." thing, just like might be done in the RDI. Of course, we usually frown upon a GM who gives infinite in-game time at the end of the adventure after everything is over and doesn't charge CP, essentially taking away the cost of crafting.

That's basically how I've always understood it to. The Craft Point rules are found in this post (emphasis added).
To craft an item in between adventures, a character with the appropriate item creation feat (such as Craft Magica Arms and Armor, Brew Potion, or Craft Staff; see below) can pay one-tenth the item's market price in craft points (minimum 1 point). He must also pay material costs as normal for creating the item. For a magic item the character must also pay the normal experience point cost for crafting the item. Once the character declares that he is spending these craft points and gold pieces (and experience points, for a magic item), the items is automatically completed one day later (typically the next morning).

Though this makes it appear as if the item was created "instantly," the assumption is that the character has actually been working on it for a while, but only now got around to finishing it. The system simply assumes that characters are always working on various projects in their spare time, even while gathered around the campfire after battling goblins on their latest adventure. Thus, when the time comes, they simply spend the requisite gold and craft points, and the item is "finished" one day later.

The basic idea is that craft points represent otherwise unaccounted-for time. Since time is accounted during an adventure, they are not necessary, and if they are used (only with the DM's discretion) they represent time outside the adventure -- e.g. if a character has been working on an item for several days but only puts the finishing touches on it while on the road heading for the hobgoblin lair.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I believe Bront asked for some character statistics some time ago. Well, we finally caught up on the character approvals, so here are the highest level characters in LEW as of now:

Vanitri Duskrider, Fighter 1 / Horizon Walker 3 / Ranger 3 / Rogue 2 [Bront] Level: 9
This is incorrect.

Vanitri is 10th level (one approval, needs 1 more), no fighter level, and 5 levels of Horizon Walker.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Sorry about the fighter thing, that's a leftover from when I first made the list. Vanitri was one of the first characters I ever put in the database, but I couldn't remember his class levels, so I made one up. =P

And the list is based on approved-ness, so if Vanitri isn't fully approved, he's not treated as L10. Once he gets some judge-love, I'll post the list again.

Bront

The man with the probe
On that point, I've been approved for 4 days from one judge, and have heard didly from the others. It was in the 9th level e-mail, so it may have gotten lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads